Rapid River Ale

Tried this one at 4 weeks, exceptional however some further maturity needed particularly due to the 7.5%. At 6 weeks the flavours of pine and flowery aftertaste to an ale bitterness is quite remarkable. This will be in the fridge for a while to further develop as it’s not a quaffing brew unless you want to go to bed early. Will brew again for sure. At 4 weeks:-C1B573DC-D602-4340-9032-B97BCF781D12.thumb.jpeg.efcd9af19377e36ba489df61a6447d3e.jpeg

at 6 weeks :-

image.thumb.jpg.1503c1a1197e976fea63cc6c066ae75d.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 17/01/2021 at 8:56 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Tried this one at 4 weeks, exceptional however some further maturity needed particularly due to the 7.5%. At 6 weeks the flavours of pine and flowery aftertaste to an ale bitterness is quite remarkable. This will be in the fridge for a while to further develop as it’s not a quaffing brew unless you want to go to bed early. Will brew again for sure. At 4 weeks:-C1B573DC-D602-4340-9032-B97BCF781D12.thumb.jpeg.efcd9af19377e36ba489df61a6447d3e.jpeg

at 6 weeks :-

image.thumb.jpg.1503c1a1197e976fea63cc6c066ae75d.jpg

That’s one tasty looking brew!!!🍺🍺

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
7 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Will have to try this one. Hadn't been on my radar but based on how that looks and @J P's comments, I'll have to give this a go.

7.5% too which is right up my alley and will have to try the @Dustin Frothman approach and add Amarillo into the mix.

I dropped the E5, hate dextrose in home brew. It’s just a boost for increased alcohol % without adding and taste, I’d replace it with X1, a malt and end up with the same 7.5%

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Hey all,

Sampled my first keg  ( well part of my first keg) of this on the weekend, after 8 weeks secondary fermentation. Disturbingly easy to drink at 7.5%; a fantastic array of flavors with a lovely finish. An extremely impressive drop, might let the second keg go another five or six weeks and compare. Will be bottling this one next time however,  just too tempting with an existent chilled keg to say to oneself "just one more glass".

Cheers!

Anthony

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

two and a half months later, I have cracked the second keg. I had to wait until I was home by myself. I am not sharing this shit with anyone. It is absolutely sublime, the best brewprint by a mile. So smooth and tasty. A clear dark finish with a dense creamy head, this is as good as it gets. Silky herbaceous flavours, with a bitter sweet afterglow. Just amazing. 
Will have to acquire enough droids so that I can have a keg of this a week until I die.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Andy,

I do have fond memories of Rapid River Ale.  The last time I brewed it was September 2021.  It is on my short list for re-do's as soon as I get back to brewing again.  Last time I used two packets of D2 as per the recipe.  Next time I'm thinking of using 40g of Galaxy for the dry hopping.  Thanks for triggering my memory on that recipe.

• Like 2

On 31/01/2024 at 12:04 PM, Thagomizer said:

Andy,

I do have fond memories of Rapid River Ale.  The last time I brewed it was September 2021.  It is on my short list for re-do's as soon as I get back to brewing again.  Last time I used two packets of D2 as per the recipe.  Next time I'm thinking of using 40g of Galaxy for the dry hopping.  Thanks for triggering my memory on that recipe.

How are you going with the recovery?

16 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

How are you going with the recovery?

Rob,

Thanks for asking.  Physical therapy is completed.  I am still a little anemic due to blood loss during surgery, but I am taking iron pills which are helping.  Also, I finally got rid of the brace which made moving awkward.  I am going places with my rollator (shopping and around the block) and I have been driving for a few weeks.

Since my brewing set-up only requires lifting an empty droid from rolling cart to my sink countertop and back, I expect to be able to start a brew fairly soon.

Fortunately, I had a good inventory of completed brews, so I had plenty once I got home - nicely aged.  Needless to say, my access to beer while in hospital and rehab was non-existent!

It will be good to have those droids humming away again.

🙂 Happy brewing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...