Consistent Problems

On 11/1/22 at 3:52 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

I reckon one of my lid seals is a bit longer than the other also.

Now here is something of interest. With one of my Droids the lid was always difficult (tight) to put on in the lock position and to release. 
Well today I had to take the seal out of the lid to clean (hadn’t before as no previous overflows). I cleaned the seal (carefully), sanitised and when I went to put it in it was about 8mm too long. No matter what it wasn’t going to fit even by starting  both ends at the open section.

So I cut the 8mm off, fitted the seal with no issue and now the lid fits like a glove in the lock position and is of ease in opening.

I suspect that some how the seal was originally fitted under pressure, or chilled to shrink a bit? Who knows but I’m darn sure I didn’t stretch it when cleaning, you’d have to tug quite a bit

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Now here is something of interest. With one of my Droids the lid was always difficult (tight) to put on in the lock position and to release. 
Well today I had to take the seal out of the lid to clean (hadn’t before as no previous overflows). I cleaned the seal (carefully), sanitised and when I went to put it in it was about 8mm too long. No matter what it wasn’t going to fit even by starting  both ends at the open section.

So I cut the 8mm off, fitted the seal with no issue and now the lid fits like a glove in the lock position and is of ease in opening.

I suspect that some how the seal was originally fitted under pressure, or chilled to shrink a bit? Who knows but I’m darn sure I didn’t stretch it when cleaning, you’d have to tug quite a bit

Yes I think that's what happens.

They are rubber and temperature and/or pressure will deform it over time.

• Like 1

Some of those seals are "Monday or Friday" seals.

Back in the day at GMH, before it bcame robot assembly, cars were sometimes referred to as a Monday, Friday car, or a Tuesday to Thursday car

You didn't want a Friday Monday car because GMH workers got paid on Thursday arvo, so they al turned up to work with hangovers and then spent the next three days drinking so Sunday resulted in a Monday hangover, so the cars were put together under duress from alcohol consumption.

What you wanted was the Tuesday to Thursday car, by Monday, there was no more money left for beer, and dinners were often sausages, rissoles and surprisingly now, Lamb (it was so cheap back in the day) and people had to scrape through to Thursday and its payday. In doing so, all these skilled workers, weren't hungover so, the cars were made and put together better.

Point in case, I owned a HZ Kingswood for years ( it was so easy to fix) and one day I needed to replace the water pump on the radiator, so I took the piece off and went to the spare parts place to get another and I asked him to bring his entire stock so I could check it against the one I had. Not one had been cast exactly the same as any of the others, each was slightly different sort of like the lid seal

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Some of those seals are "Monday or Friday" seals.

Back in the day at GMH, before it bcame robot assembly, cars were sometimes referred to as a Monday, Friday car, or a Tuesday to Thursday car

You didn't want a Friday Monday car because GMH workers got paid on Thursday arvo, so they al turned up to work with hangovers and then spent the next three days drinking so Sunday resulted in a Monday hangover, so the cars were put together under duress from alcohol consumption.

What you wanted was the Tuesday to Thursday car, by Monday, there was no more money left for beer, and dinners were often sausages, rissoles and surprisingly now, Lamb (it was so cheap back in the day) and people had to scrape through to Thursday and its payday. In doing so, all these skilled workers, weren't hungover so, the cars were made and put together better.

Point in case, I owned a HZ Kingswood for years ( it was so easy to fix) and one day I needed to replace the water pump on the radiator, so I took the piece off and went to the spare parts place to get another and I asked him to bring his entire stock so I could check it against the one I had. Not one had been cast exactly the same as any of the others, each was slightly different sort of like the lid seal

Pretty much all Valiants are Friday cars then ...

• Haha 3

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...