Jump to content

Consistent Problems


Recommended Posts

Hello -- I'm kegging my eighth brew print. I have yet to keg without a major disaster. Yes, I've followed all of the instructions (video and print) meticulously. I consistently end up with a significant amount of beer on the floor, at the bottom of the keg (outside the liner), and with large amounts of beer left in the droid. Parts don't fit together well, and I'm in constant fear that I'll lose one of the tiny plastic parts . . . and with it, the entire system that cost several thousand dollars. I am so frustrated that I may not brew again. I definitely would not recommend the Brewart system to a friend until these problems are addressed. 

I love the brewing and drinking part. The kegging experience is absolutely unacceptable.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Patrick Freer said:

Hello -- I'm kegging my eighth brew print. I have yet to keg without a major disaster. Yes, I've followed all of the instructions (video and print) meticulously. I consistently end up with a significant amount of beer on the floor, at the bottom of the keg (outside the liner), and with large amounts of beer left in the droid. Parts don't fit together well, and I'm in constant fear that I'll lose one of the tiny plastic parts . . . and with it, the entire system that cost several thousand dollars. I am so frustrated that I may not brew again. I definitely would not recommend the Brewart system to a friend until these problems are addressed. 

I love the brewing and drinking part. The kegging experience is absolutely unacceptable.

Hi Patrick, it would be such a pity to quit the brewing/kegging process. You should contact BrewArt support and talk through the issues. I’ll make a reference here for you.

@BrewArt Team can you help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @Patrick Freer,

That is frustrating and I feel your pain as I've had a few issues along the way as well.

As per Captain's advice please get in touch with Brewart support and have a chat. They will help you and are extremely generous when issues require rectifying.

When it works properly the kegging and BrewFlo pairing is a beautifully simplistic and cost effective system. Unfortunately there have been some manufacturing quality control issues; particularly in the last year and I know that the Brewart team are working diligently to rectify these but the state of the world has compounded the problem with slow shipping etc.

I've had a run of leaking keg liners on my last 3 brews and once we confirmed that my kegging process was correct, customer support were able to trace these issues back to some bad liners and keg caps that aligned with an order I placed last year.

A point of interest that not many users are aware of: the foil bag in a plastic keg style system is used commercially and a great example is BrewDog (the largest craft brewery in the world), so I know that this system can and does work well and we can and should expect it to.

Please let us know how you get on.

keg.thumb.jpg.04c2fc605bef068700bb00586333f96c.jpg

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/02/2021 at 3:35 AM, Patrick Freer said:

Hello -- I'm kegging my eighth brew print. I have yet to keg without a major disaster. Yes, I've followed all of the instructions (video and print) meticulously. I consistently end up with a significant amount of beer on the floor, at the bottom of the keg (outside the liner), and with large amounts of beer left in the droid. Parts don't fit together well, and I'm in constant fear that I'll lose one of the tiny plastic parts . . . and with it, the entire system that cost several thousand dollars. I am so frustrated that I may not brew again. I definitely would not recommend the Brewart system to a friend until these problems are addressed. 

I love the brewing and drinking part. The kegging experience is absolutely unacceptable.

Hi Pat, sorry I didn't notice this post beforehand. I too had similar issues to  begin with (particuarly the fear of losing the small parts). What I did after my first two kegs was to muck around with all the parts, putting the hose as far into the elbow connectors as it would go, so I would recognise the click that signalled that was where it meant to go. I also mucked around with fitting the connector onto the tap and feeling the connecting click. The connecting click is the second click not the first when you are connecting to the tube, the tap, the filling cap.

I also wasted a keg liner practicing non stop until I got screwing the cap onto it. All up I probably spent between 30-60 mins doing that but it meant that when I was kegging, I was confident in that part, so I wasn't worrying about every part of the process.

To minimise my fears about losing small parts, I made it a bit of a ritual when it came to kegging. This meant that I was doing the same thing in the same way each time. I would lay out a towel on the kitchen bench ( preferably not one you've just dried yourself with :)) then disassemble every part, taking time to spray them with sanatiser. I would let them dry and then I would put the small parts back into the caps  and construct those parts. Then I would connect the cap to the keg liner and check it was on even, then I would connect the hose to the elbow joints and finally the filling cap.

That part of it is really hard for me because at the best of times I have the attention span of Homer Simpson, so being that structured was an effort...and to a point, I really didn't enjoy kegging because I had to observe structure and adhere to it but you know, pay off in 6-8 weeks with delicious cheap beer.

I understand what you say about spending a fair chunk of coin putting this system in place ( I did too) but given you have, it would be remiss of you not to do some practicing outside of actual kegging, do some trial runs so when the time comes, you can feel a little more relaxed about the process and have a solid method that will bring you some satisfaction that has no beer on the floor ( which is worth crying over) and it all inside the liner.

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, all. Good suggestions. I will contact Brewart Support to see if there's a simple solution, since all of you have had success.  

Of the 16 kegs I've bottled, only one has been "clean," with no leakage. The other 15 have lost many ounces (or much more) of beer to the floor . . . and to my dogs. The problem seems to be related to the tiny holes: one in the top of the black cap into which the keg liner screws, and one in the top of the filling cap. I've tried aligning those two tiny holes, and I've tried the opposite. Beer pours out of the filling cap hole, no matter if the keg is filled upside down or if I turn it rightside up. Then, beer gets between the liner and the keg, resulting in several inches of beer sloshing around (not sure that's sanitary). 

Beyond that, the biggest problem with "fit" is that the keg collars do not easily screw onto the kegs. It takes many, many (50+) tries to get an acceptable alignment. 

Thanks for your collective advice.

Patrick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mate that’s heart wrenching.   
 

I wonder if an o-ring is missing someplace to have such consistent bad outcomes and leaks.   
 

I also use a bit of spray on sanitizer to “lubricate” the keg top and liner threads so they screw on more smoothly.  

I also freak about losing small bits (especially the poppets).  
 

my solution is a “kegging” 13L  plastic tote that I throw everything into and sterilise in, then drain with a cupboard liner in the bottom and then place the lid back on to keep it all in one spot and not in a vacuum cleaner bag, lego toy box or buried in a pile of dog poo.   

image.png

image.jpg

image.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Hi Pat, sorry I didn't notice this post beforehand. I too had similar issues to  begin with (particuarly the fear of losing the small parts). What I did after my first two kegs was to muck around with all the parts, putting the hose as far into the elbow connectors as it would go, so I would recognise the click that signalled that was where it meant to go. I also mucked around with fitting the connector onto the tap and feeling the connecting click. The connecting click is the second click not the first when you are connecting to the tube, the tap, the filling cap.

I also wasted a keg liner practicing non stop until I got screwing the cap onto it. All up I probably spent between 30-60 mins doing that but it meant that when I was kegging, I was confident in that part, so I wasn't worrying about every part of the process.

To minimise my fears about losing small parts, I made it a bit of a ritual when it came to kegging. This meant that I was doing the same thing in the same way each time. I would lay out a towel on the kitchen bench ( preferably not one you've just dried yourself with :)) then disassemble every part, taking time to spray them with sanatiser. I would let them dry and then I would put the small parts back into the caps  and construct those parts. Then I would connect the cap to the keg liner and check it was on even, then I would connect the hose to the elbow joints and finally the filling cap.

That part of it is really hard for me because at the best of times I have the attention span of Homer Simpson, so being that structured was an effort...and to a point, I really didn't enjoy kegging because I had to observe structure and adhere to it but you know, pay off in 6-8 weeks with delicious cheap beer.

I understand what you say about spending a fair chunk of coin putting this system in place ( I did too) but given you have, it would be remiss of you not to do some practicing outside of actual kegging, do some trial runs so when the time comes, you can feel a little more relaxed about the process and have a solid method that will bring you some satisfaction that has no beer on the floor ( which is worth crying over) and it all inside the liner.

I like the dry run idea using water instead of nectar of the gods.   
 

also actually might be worth making a checklist if you’re doing this rarely.  There are so many complexities to the process each with an opportunity for a misfire.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Greg Collingwood said:

Yeah I can't even brew as seal falls out and tap does not hold on clip good old Chinese quality control

Hi Greg, sorry about your bad luck. Of all the problems I have not heard of this one and would think that the manufacturing processes would be consistent.

Can you send a photo?

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Greg Collingwood said:

Sure can20210606_115714.thumb.jpg.a89183c8c638683b149359e7399cb5f3.jpg20210606_120007.thumb.jpg.b90fda86c367fb31c06325672b7ed44f.jpg

20210606_120021.jpg

Thanks. Your tap doesn’t seem to be all the way in, a bit of a gap. I moisten and twist the tap in and press, align and press down on the lug. See photo.

Your lid seal doesn’t seem to be in the right way and is short of the overflow out let. The seal is a tight fit with the thinner side upwards. 
Let us know how you go.

 

A0E1AB53-005F-4A9D-BDAD-19800C7A11DC.jpeg

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Done all you said and still no luck the tap by the way is as far as can push it as per pic any further and will break if I put rubber band on it it seems to clip down also the seal if I make the 3nds meet at overflow is not enough to cover the diamater of lid  seems to be a production fault is it possible to get replacement parts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Greg Collingwood said:

Done all you said and still no luck the tap by the way is as far as can push it as per pic any further and will break if I put rubber band on it it seems to clip down also the seal if I make the 3nds meet at overflow is not enough to cover the diamater of lid  seems to be a production fault is it possible to get replacement parts

Yes, contact BrewArt, they are great.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Greg Collingwood said:

Yeah sent email to them but takes over a week for delivery but is ok guess can't make brew yet

With the lid seal, you start by inserting both ends at each side of the overflow and then work around the circumference, it will go.

 If you do that, rubber band the tap, a brewing you will go.

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry but have tried this and is short at back if do that is obvious to me that the seal for some reason is too short also the lid is bad design should have more fastening sections I have vast experience in automotive trade so have idea what I am talking about the design of seal is type that has complete lock stip all way around not only 3 places not being a smart mouth but just saying for the price should be much better design or at least better quality control

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Greg Collingwood said:

Sorry but have tried this and is short at back if do that is obvious to me that the seal for some reason is too short also the lid is bad design should have more fastening sections I have vast experience in automotive trade so have idea what I am talking about the design of seal is type that has complete lock stip all way around not only 3 places not being a smart mouth but just saying for the price should be much better design or at least better quality control

Fair enough, where about are you? I could help with reference to BrewArt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Greg Collingwood said:

Sorry but have tried this and is short at back if do that is obvious to me that the seal for some reason is too short also the lid is bad design should have more fastening sections I have vast experience in automotive trade so have idea what I am talking about the design of seal is type that has complete lock stip all way around not only 3 places not being a smart mouth but just saying for the price should be much better design or at least better quality control

Greg, am I to assume this is a brand new unit, and not used? If so was the seal not in the lid when you got it? Also are the seals around the tap pink?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Greg Collingwood said:

Also the lid seal when I took off lid was half out of lid the lid was also tight to remove when unbowed so I guess was some issue from factory

Hi - I'm the fellow who started this thread. I had the same problem with the seal of my Droid lid. I have not yet resumed kegging since I wrote the initial post. Not sure whether it's worth proceeding to try a remedy or not. I was told by a USA supplier that the entire kegging system was going to be reengineered and replaced because of widespread frustrations, but I've heard nothing on that front for over a year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes seems quality control at China needs attention I have put seal in sun and tried to stretch it and seems bit better but will leave it a few days to see if worked before I waste time trying a brew as for the tap issue I guess just keep rubber band on it lot of money to pay to have item unusable from box I wonder what next issue will be hope the beer tastes good if I ever get to brew one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Hey Guys,

Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same issue with the Lid seal refusing to stay in place since I removed it for cleaning after my first ever brew with the BeerDroid.

I've trawled the web and read through all the posts on both the Coopers Community Forum and here and can confirm I'm inserting the seal the right way around. As per the BrewAart FAQ #14

14. I have removed the lid seal, cleaned it and refitted but now I can’t get the lid back on. Have I damaged the seal?

Make sure to insert the lid seal so that the ridged section of the seal is inserted into the slot, and the raised part of the seal is towards the centre of the lid. The lid seal tends to stretch as it is inserted; it is best to insert each end first and then work the seal back.

After I removed and gently cleaned the seal for the first time, since putting it back in it just partially falls out when turning the lid upside down. It looks fine after inserting the seal, with the raised inner seal part towards the centre of the lid, but the slot just won't hold the seal in place anymore.

I managed to get the seal into place for long enough to slowly and gently get the Lid back on for my second brew, but as expected today when I gently opened the lid to dry hop, 3/4 of the seal fell into the wort 🤦‍♂️

There does seem to be multiple reports of this issue, so I'll reach out to the @BrewArt Team directly to see if they can suggest anything.

Cheers.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
  • Create New...