Stuck Lid Remedies?

LABrews

Over the two years I have had the BeerDroid, several brews have overflowed during fermentation.

This is tricky because generally to control the brewing environment, I clean the exterior but allow things

to brew without removing the lid.

Frequently sticky brew residue will get in the threads of the lid and make it exceptionally difficult to unscrew, a problem noted during the hopping process. 

One remedy I found was taking a steamer to the seams between the beerdroid and the lid which jetted out the sticky residue and loosened the lid.

However, while brewing some Coopers XPA, there was an overflow, but no matter how hard I twist or how thorough a steaming a give the seam,

I cannot get the top off. Any recommendations? Any recommendations for how to address overflows and sticking lids?

Cheers.

Edited by LABrews

39 minutes ago, LABrews said:

Over the two years I have had the BeerDroid, several brews have overflowed during fermentation.

This is tricky because generally to control the brewing environment, I clean the exterior but allow things

to brew without removing the lid.

Frequently sticky brew residue will get in the threads of the lid and make it exceptionally difficult to unscrew, a problem noted during the hopping process. 

One remedy I found was taking a steamer to the seams between the beerdroid and the lid which jetted out the sticky residue and loosened the lid.

However, while brewing some Coopers XPA, there was an overflow, but no matter how hard I twist or how thorough a steaming a give the seam,

I cannot get the top off. Any recommendations? Any recommendations for how to address overflows and sticking lids?

Cheers.

A warm welcome to the forum LABrews. Stopping overflows is difficult and just part of very active and healthy fermentation. However sticking lids is a problem. 
I wipe around the lid/droid seam with a sanitiser like StarSan however warm water and a cloth is fine. Then use something you can put diagonally through the lid as a lever, put pressure on whilst holding the Droid with your free hand.

Now to minimise sticking lids I wipe some food grade keg lube (brew shop or eBay) on the lid seal before attaching. Makes the lid easy to put on and off and really helps with sticky lids.

Before the jokes (😂) it is a clean new toilet brush but works really well with the bristle head a good grip. (It’s for cleaning crap anyway)

4EC3F2CA-CF36-40D9-9DD3-CBBFD2D8C709.thumb.jpeg.387d085022f3119adfdc303814f02ec0.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/03/2021 at 9:36 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

After you and Rob have finished other lube activities I do need to mention that you only have to lightly lube the seal, in other words don’t block the function of the overflow movement and outlet.

Lubri Film Plus works a treat.

HAYNES LUBRI-FILM PLUS FOOD GRADE MACHINE LUBRICANT GREASE HOME BREW BEER | eBay

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...