New updated Firmware

12 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Do like the idea of quicker brews though, 3 days to kegging would be sweet as

Unless ramping up the fermentation temps don’t see how the time could be shortened unless the EOF test is a bit slow/delayed. Hope won’t be a problem for bottling in glass. However shorter times is good.

9 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

I wonder if the new updae allows the droid to recommend RTK outside of the daily fermentation check?

Could be the way intends to possibly shorten fermentation times.? As the droid only checks every 24hrs you could certainly have a case where say an hour after a negative test for EOF, fermentation does complete yet quite a number of hours remain for the next 24hr test. Makes sense?

• Upvote 1

The shorter brewing time only applies to dry hop programs.

The Droid's P018 firmware will prompt you to add the hops two days before the brew is predicted to reach EOF; so effectively shortening the total brewing time by 2 days over the previous firmware version that waited till EOF was reached.

So there's no need to guess when its getting close to EOF to add the hops and catch the fermentation tail, the droid tells you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, xpsTech said:

The Droid's P018 firmware will prompt you to add the hops two days before the brew is predicted to reach EOF; so effectively shortening the total brewing time by 2 days over the previous firmware version that waited till EOF was reached.

So there's no need to guess when its getting close to EOF to add the hops and catch the fermentation tail, the droid tells you!

Thanks xpsTech. This is a good move as I try to predict 2 days before EOF from previous brewing records for each brew I do and adding a hop bomb or bag. Fairly accurate but yeast quality can vary the times.

Now if I use this hop program will it then go straight into a 2 day cold crash? I don’t want to do this so I’ll need to look out for that happening, change it back to keg mode?

57 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Thanks xpsTech. This is a good move as I try to predict 2 days before EOF from previous brewing records for each brew I do and adding a hop bomb or bag. Fairly accurate but yeast quality can vary the times.

Now if I use this hop program will it then go straight into a 2 day cold crash? I don’t want to do this so I’ll need to look out for that happening, change it back to keg mode?

Hey Captain, after adding the hops the droid will let the hops infuse for two days while the fermentation completes and then will cold crash for two days and then go to keg mode, so just what you’re after I think. 

3 minutes ago, xpsTech said:

Hey Captain, after adding the hops the droid will let the hops infuse for two days while the fermentation completes and then will cold crash for two days and then go to keg mode, so just what you’re after I think. 

Correct except I’ll bypass the cold crash. (will continue to use bombs or bags.

Thanks

5 hours ago, xpsTech said:

I made a comment in another thread on here regarding EOF and foamy pours from the BrewFlo.

Users on the unofficial FaceBook group had been suggesting leaving a brew in the Droid for an extra 48 hours to ensure that primary fermentation is completely finished prior to kegging.

As you're obviously in the know/involved somehow, are you able to confirm if the new firmware addresses this issue? If it even is an issue of course.

I've had a few foamy kegs. I notice it's generally on the higher alcohol brews where there's a larger volume of ingredients for the yeast to work its way through. I kegged a brew yesterday and decided to give the extra 48 hours trick a try. It's not ideal but I'm interested to see if this has any effect.

Hey Dustin, you'll need to contact the BrewArt team to get some guidance on why your heavier beers tend to be more frothy, I'd be interested to hear if the extra 48hrs will make a difference but I'm thinking its not going to be noticeable. There was nothing in the firmware description from BrewArt that indicated any changes related to that.

Hey Captain, I think the only way to by-pass the cold crash would be to cancel the program. Even though you are containing the hops and don't need to cold crash to drop them out of suspension, I'd still suggest you consider letting it run as it also settles suspended yeast & sediment resulting in a cleaner/clearer beer. Perhaps submit a feature request to BrewArt for the by-pass option.

Who's going to sign up for the Beta Test Program? Is it open yet? (I'm not on facebook so can't check).

• Upvote 1

Beta Test Program, excuse my ignorance but not sure what it is?

Take you point xpsTech however, I really don’t want to brew an extra 2 days. As I don’t just tip the hops in, hop matter is restricted by the hop bombs or bags. As I keg to ss kegs that always sit upright and movement from the floor to the fridge has very limited disturbance I find the sediment settles firmly to the bottom with the dip tube above it. In other words I consider my beers to be quite clear and don’t justify a 2 day cold chill. (I may consider if going straight from the droid to the keg to the fridge)

I’ve got the Mountain Range IPA on at the moment and it was ready to dry hop on day 5 which according to my notes is a day early.

I didn’t take note of the yeast date but I can’t imagine they would’ve been much different as the last time I brewed this beer was 4 months ago.

I’d like to thing the updated fermentation algorithm in the new firmware is doing its thing. 👍

• Upvote 1