Pink Grapefruit IPA

Ready to dry hop at 4 days 5 hours which is rather quick. There was a bit of venting within the first 36 hours or so but nothing unusual.

Went with an Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe hop mix to total 100g. Saw a Coopers DIY Beer recipe that suggested so and went with that.

I’m going to leave this to sit for a while at kegging temperature once the cold crash is done as I’m not quite convinced fermentation is finished. Either way there’s no rush but it smelt good tonight.

6 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Ready to dry hop at 4 days 5 hours which is rather quick. There was a bit of venting within the first 36 hours or so but nothing unusual.

Went with an Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe hop mix to total 100g. Saw a Coopers DIY Beer recipe that suggested so and went with that.

I’m going to leave this to sit for a while at kegging temperature once the cold crash is done as I’m not quite convinced fermentation is finished. Either way there’s no rush but it smelt good tonight.

Putting the hops in early will enhance the flavour/aroma and is certainly not a bad thing. ( do it often). Out of interest was the Coopers DIY recipe for 23l? I read somewhere that 80g is about the max for 10l. No big deal and leaving for a while at kegging temp after the cold crash will ensure full fermentation.

2 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Out of interest was the Coopers DIY recipe for 23l? I read somewhere that 80g is about the max for 10l. 

It was 23L. I was working on the premise that the IPAs I've brewed so far that have been most to my liking have contained between 75g (Brewart Mountain Range IPA) and 100g (Pirate Life IPA clone) of dry hop pellets.

I've posted some thoughts here before regarding max dry hop efficiency/saturation of 7.5 - 8.0g /L which I understand came from a university experiment in the USA, so yes 80-ish grams is probably the maximum for 10L and anything more doesn't achieve more.

When I buy hop pellets they're usually in 500g to 1kg quantities which I then break down into 25g or 50g bags, vacuum seal and freeze.

In this instance I had a 50g bag, a 30g bag and a 25g bag and couldn't be bothered dividing them up any further because it was rather late at night. So they just went in in those quantities and we'll see what result we get.

p.s. looks like I may have finally found a 2nd Droid (brand new in the box too) so I'm looking forward to being able to leave one working away on the staple brews and experiment in the other. 

I read elsewhere online that's there's some big product announcements due in the Brewart range so I hope it's not a 20L Droid! 😆

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

It was 23L. I was working on the premise that the IPAs I've brewed so far that have been most to my liking have contained between 75g (Brewart Mountain Range IPA) and 100g (Pirate Life IPA clone) of dry hop pellets.

I've posted some thoughts here before regarding max dry hop efficiency/saturation of 7.5 - 8.0g /L which I understand came from a university experiment in the USA, so yes 80-ish grams is probably the maximum for 10L and anything more doesn't achieve more.

When I buy hop pellets they're usually in 500g to 1kg quantities which I then break down into 25g or 50g bags, vacuum seal and freeze.

In this instance I had a 50g bag, a 30g bag and a 25g bag and couldn't be bothered dividing them up any further because it was rather late at night. So they just went in in those quantities and we'll see what result we get.

p.s. looks like I may have finally found a 2nd Droid (brand new in the box too) so I'm looking forward to being able to leave one working away on the staple brews and experiment in the other. 

I read elsewhere online that's there's some big product announcements due in the Brewart range so I hope it's not a 20L Droid! 😆

Fair enough and glad your getting your 2nd droid for your wife’s Mother’s Day present (ha ha lol).

A 20l droid would be great but the size it may have to be could be a draw back. I wish free shipping would be announced and may be with the any new releases.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

A 20l droid would be great but the size it may have to be could be a draw back. I wish free shipping would be announced and may be with the any new releases.

I like the 10L size and wouldn't want anything bigger. Just chuckling at the notion of finally getting hold of a second Droid and finding out the product line is potentially changing.

Any product development is good though so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

I reckon you're right that the free shipping deal will accompany any announcements. Even with two Droids I'll still be good for a little while.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I started a Coopers XPA brewprint last Friday which is the 1st brew I've done since the firmware update.  At exactly 72 hours I received a prompt on the app which said it was ready for dry hopping.  Also had venting within 24 hours for a short period.

Per my post in the BrewFlo section, I have also been leaving my brews to sit at kegging temperature for extra time.  I will be extra sure to do this with this particular brew (and probably for a few more days than what I usually do) as being ready to dry hop at 3 days seems very quick to me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Glen Rycroft said:

I started a Coopers XPA brewprint last Friday which is the 1st brew I've done since the firmware update.  At exactly 72 hours I received a prompt on the app which said it was ready for dry hopping.  Also had venting within 24 hours for a short period.

Per my post in the BrewFlo section, I have also been leaving my brews to sit at kegging temperature for extra time.  I will be extra sure to do this with this particular brew (and probably for a few more days than what I usually do) as being ready to dry hop at 3 days seems very quick to me.

I’ve had the following EOF days for the XPA as follows, 7, 6, 10, 10, 6, and 6 with the last. So if the new add hop program is around 2 days before EOF then it may be right? The 2 10 day ones I think were due to yeast quality.

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

7AB340E9-C136-45C6-9A36-0322D246B19B.thumb.jpeg.9ee1932d58d9fce8a7d28c6d8901334e.jpeg

Tried this at 6 weeks secondary and it was a bit too tart so put the keg away for another 2 weeks and it’s much better now.

No foaming issues with the Brewflo pours so the extra primary fermentation time is paying off.

This would make a great summer IPA so next time I’ll brew it more in line with the seasons.

The wife loves it so it won’t last long.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...