Swing tops versus crown seals when bottling

I have read from posts on this forum that crown top sealing is superior the swing top sealing in regards to head and flavour. How can this be?? I replace all my old swing top seals so that they close extremely tight on filling. Why would a crown seal be better when the two capping methods are maintained and applied correctly to achieve the same result = a leak proof seal?? 

Edited by Eltham Brewing House

30 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

I have read from posts on this forum that crown top sealing is superior the swing top sealing in regards to head and flavour. How can this be?? I replace all my old swing top seals so that they close extremely tight on filling. Why would a crown seal be better when the two capping methods are maintained and applied correctly to achieve the same result = a leak proof seal?? 

I am thinking it's just a personal preference and subjective at that. I maybe wrong.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

I am thinking it's just a personal preference and subjective at that. I maybe wrong.

I agree the end result to be the same if both seal correctly. The issue with swing tops is when to replace the seals. After a few uses the seals could wear without you noticing thus potentially some flat beers. I’m not aware of the seal costs so changing regularly may be an option when compared to the crown seal costs.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

100%, I had some issues with newly bought swingtops, so I ended up going the crown seal route. There is also something theraputic about the crown sealing process...well for me anyways. In saying that though, I have a dozen or so Grolsch swingtops that have worked very well over the journey

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

I agree the end result to be the same if both seal correctly. The issue with swing tops is when to replace the seals. After a few uses the seals could wear without you noticing thus potentially some flat beers. I’m not aware of the seal costs so changing regularly may be an option when compared to the crown seal costs.

Replacement seals cost around $0.35 each and my gut feel is that they are probably good for 10 or so fills = $0.035per bottle. I carefully inspect the old seals as I am bottling. Any seals that look suss are replaced. I have over 250 swing tops and after 10 brews to date (100 Lt), none not one bottle/swing top seal have let me down. I also love the sound of "pop" when opening one. 

Edited by Eltham Brewing House
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Truthfully i found both great, i have 750ml swingtops and crown seals. I have found for the 0-6month the swingtops are great . But i lost carbonation in some of the beers i had left to age for longer then that 😞 . I am however considering doing my kremlin this year in the swing tops and wax sealing because i want to go 6 months plus with some of these bottles. Just need to decide how to do the wax part 🤣

9 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Truthfully i found both great, i have 750ml swingtops and crown seals. I have found for the 0-6month the swingtops are great . But i lost carbonation in some of the beers i had left to age for longer then that 😞 . I am however considering doing my kremlin this year in the swing tops and wax sealing because i want to go 6 months plus with some of these bottles. Just need to decide how to do the wax part 🤣

Why the wax? It won't add anything. My swing tops seal beautiful and you cannot possibly loose carbonation if the swing top seal is seated properly no matter how long you store them, With due respect, it  is physically impossible for beer in swing tops and beer in crown seals to be different after  3 months, 6 months or 12 months.  I am a newbie and stand to be corrected.

8 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Why the wax? It won't add anything. My swing tops seal beautiful and you cannot possibly loose carbonation if the swing top seal is seated properly no matter how long you store them, With due respect, it  is physically impossible for beer in swing tops and beer in crown seals to be different after  3 months, 6 months or 12 months.  I am a newbie and stand to be corrected.

I havent tried the higher ABV so hopefully they would go better. I did have some EPD and Weissbier that were in bottles that got lost down the back of the box and were over 6 months old and flat . They were in new mangrove jack swingtops and i thought the seals were tight. The earlier bottles were like opening a champagne bottle 🤣. So the Wax sealing would be more trying to have one more layer to prevent carbonation escaping , might not add anything but might make me sleep easier having a beer i plan to keep for closer to 12 months not turn into flat coffee flavored alcohol water 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using swing-top bottles for about three years.  The Grolsch high pressure seals are more reliable, but even those sometimes don't hold the pressure.  I sometimes used food-grade silicone grease on the seals but that is tedious. I even acquired a countertop COinfuser for the occasional flat beer.  I finally bought a bench-type capper for my one-pint swing-top bottles.  If that doesn't prove reliable, I'll have to take another look at kegging.:(

6 minutes ago, Thagomizer said:

I have been using swing-top bottles for about three years.  The Grolsch high pressure seals are more reliable, but even those sometimes don't hold the pressure.  I sometimes used food-grade silicone grease on the seals but that is tedious. I even acquired a countertop COinfuser for the occasional flat beer.  I finally bought a bench-type capper for my one-pint swing-top bottles.  If that doesn't prove reliable, I'll have to take another look at kegging.:(

Hi Thagomizer, welcome to the forum. The use of food-grade silicone grease is a good move and probably worth the tediousness. Interesting how the capper will go.

Ps. A lot of us will agree with your favour brew- Lawn Mower Lager, certainly a top drop. What’s your opinion of the English Pub Draught?

Hello Captain 3 Droids,

My English Pub Draft was over a year ago, and my notes are skimpy.  At that time I was distracted.  I recall a drinkable brew but will need to repeat it for a fair rating which I plan to do.  I will give it an honest rating when I do.

In addition to BrewPrints, I use a lot of my own recipes.  Sometimes these involve steeping grains.  (I am not yet up to mashing.)  The genius of the BrewDroid is its excellent temperature control.  Any 10-liter wort can be brewed and well-managed.  I can now brew lagers in my 75oF ambient temperature (Texas).  Also, I use a lot of HME's, LME's and dark or pale malt extracts as well as enhancers.  Life is good.😊

Thank you for your welcome.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Thagomizer said:

Hello Captain 3 Droids,

My English Pub Draft was over a year ago, and my notes are skimpy.  At that time I was distracted.  I recall a drinkable brew but will need to repeat it for a fair rating which I plan to do.  I will give it an honest rating when I do.

In addition to BrewPrints, I use a lot of my own recipes.  Sometimes these involve steeping grains.  (I am not yet up to mashing.)  The genius of the BrewDroid is its excellent temperature control.  Any 10-liter wort can be brewed and well-managed.  I can now brew lagers in my 75oF ambient temperature (Texas).  Also, I use a lot of HME's, LME's and dark or pale malt extracts as well as enhancers.  Life is good.😊

Thank you for your welcome.

They are a great unit and as you point out any wort can be used. I sometimes brew recipes using Mr Beer tins or other Coopers cans particularly when on special.

With regards to the Droids brewing temperature control ability, here in Adelaide heat waves in summer can be over 40C (104F) for days and the ambient temperature in my brewing room would sit at around 35C (95F). Lager temps are no problem with the cooling down cycle slightly quicker than with lower ambient temperatures.

I will be interested in your English Pub Draught review, so don’t leave too long😀

Captain 3 Droids,

We are probably close on the heat environment.  I had the pleasure of visiting your outback (and some more temperate climates) a few years ago.  It was an awesome visit.  Australia is a great destination.  I will come back when I can.  But the people are the draw - not so much the climate.

I am probably doing similar things with converting the two-gallon Mr. Beer recipes to 2.6 gallon BeerDroid recipes.  It is a great opportunity to be creative and to continue supporting this excellent purveyor of beer-making ingredients.  I owe much to their on-line support,  training and tutorials as well as economical access to ingredients, supplies and equipment.  Their "Little Brown Keg" got me re-started after 50 years of absence. 

Oh, what an improvement is the BeerDroid!😊

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 15/05/2021 at 5:49 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

They are a great unit and as you point out any wort can be used. I sometimes brew recipes using Mr Beer tins or other Coopers cans particularly when on special.

With regards to the Droids brewing temperature control ability, here in Adelaide heat waves in summer can be over 40C (104F) for days and the ambient temperature in my brewing room would sit at around 35C (95F). Lager temps are no problem with the cooling down cycle slightly quicker than with lower ambient temperatures.

I will be interested in your English Pub Draught review, so don’t leave too long😀

Captain Three Droids,

I finally got around to a second undertaking of the English Pub Draught.  I have posted my review on the BrewArt site but I thought I would send you a more detailed evaluation.  Please keep in mind that the attached chart is very subjective.  If I did the evaluation a week later it would probably be different.  However, this one is today's opinion.  I could not pick up on the fruit characteristics that other reviewers noted.  Maybe my taste buds are just not that sensitive - or another few weeks of conditioning might bring these characteristics out to my senses.  Anyway, it is a very good brew.

EngPubDrft.pdf

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Thagomizer said:

Captain Three Droids,

I finally got around to a second undertaking of the English Pub Draught.  I have posted my review on the BrewArt site but I thought I would send you a more detailed evaluation.  Please keep in mind that the attached chart is very subjective.  If I did the evaluation a week later it would probably be different.  However, this one is today's opinion.  I could not pick up on the fruit characteristics that other reviewers noted.  Maybe my taste buds are just not that sensitive - or another few weeks of conditioning might bring these characteristics out to my senses.  Anyway, it is a very good brew.

EngPubDrft.pdf 109.61 kB · 1 download

The fruity flavours are quite subtle as there are no hop additions so relies on the hop components in the (E) elements. Sweetness/malt  can be attributed to the X3 (amber malt). Love your evaluatoon chart, could you forward a blank of it and l’ll set it up for self and others to use.

“Anyway, it is a very good brew” totally agree. It’s a simple easy drinking true ale imo.

Captain Three Droids,

Certainly.  I'll send you the blank PDF.  If you have access to Microsoft Visio, I could send you the editable source file.  Let me know.  This is not my invention.  I saw a version of it on a Mr. Beer marketing site and adapted it.  I created the file in Microsoft Visio. 

Note that the radial rays are not quantified.  This is a purely subjective evaluation chart to be used at the discretion of BrewArtists.Beer_Eval_Chart.pdf

3 minutes ago, Thagomizer said:

Captain Three Droids,

Certainly.  I'll send you the blank PDF.  If you have access to Microsoft Visio, I could send you the editable source file.  Let me know.  This is not my invention.  I saw a version of it on a Mr. Beer marketing site and adapted it.  I created the file in Microsoft Visio. 

Note that the radial rays are not quantified.  This is a purely subjective evaluation chart to be used at the discretion of BrewArtists.Beer_Eval_Chart.pdf

@ThagomizerBrilliant use of the chart! 👏

1 hour ago, Thagomizer said:

Captain Three Droids,

Downloads perfectly, thanks Thagomizer.