Hop Choices

Out of interest - For a while now when looking at the dedicated BrewPrint recipes the “D” hop recommendations are different from the original “H” hop recommendation (both are mentioned in the recipe details) . So I’ve been doing both eg Jolly Roger Pale Ale calls for D1 - cascade & D8 - mosaic or alternatively the 2 x H1 amarillo. So In that recipe I’ve done 15g each. Works well so far.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Out of interest - For a while now when looking at the dedicated BrewPrint recipes the “D” hop recommendations are different from the original “H” hop recommendation (both are mentioned in the recipe details) . So I’ve been doing both eg Jolly Roger Pale Ale calls for D1 - cascade & D8 - mosaic or alternatively the 2 x H1 amarillo. So In that recipe I’ve done 15g each. Works well so far.

I've noticed that too. If the Jolly Roger is going for the Pirate Life Pale Ale taste then Mosaic and Cascade it should be.

• Upvote 1

Can you more experienced BrewArtists explain to me your thoughts on H vs. D (hops aromas vs. Dry hopping)

I don’t yet have enough experience to feel like I could compare side by side a DH beer vs. one where you just add the essence.    

Would there be a role to do both?

I was briefly flirting with doing “hop tea” whereby you make several different Hop teas (which essentially would be hop essence) and then taking a single Droid batch and adding varying mixtures of hops tea at bottling time to be able to drink the same beer side by side to find a favourite single hop or hop blend …..  and then I thought…. yeah right.   That’s far too involved and these H’s (essences) are probably waaay easier to work with…

Hops Choices:

I have been playing around a LOT with hops and after enjoying many of the Garage Project and DEEDS creations who are very heavily dry hopping (I’ve had a DEEDS that DH’s at 26gm / L !!) I have to say, I think the AMARILLO MOSAIC hop combo is simply amazing.

I tried a crazy combo of ARAMIS and CALLISTA on a Saison, (50g each) Dry hopping and though it’s still young, something very peculiar has occurred.   The aromas are the most bizarre combo I’ve ever experience.     Literally smells like toothpaste mixed together with fresh cedar wood, caramel, tangerine…..    not going to lie, the Menthol of the ARAMIS is just too unusual …  likely at a really small dose it could add some interesting depth.   Gonna leave it condition for a longer time to see if that all mellows out….

THE winner so far has been an Amber Ale with A HOLY TRINITY of 50g each of NELSON + GALAXY + CASCADE

Wow!!! Such a nice complex (but not overly), friendly, and enjoyable combination!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J P said:

Can you more experienced BrewArtists explain to me your thoughts on H vs. D (hops aromas vs. Dry hopping)

I don’t yet have enough experience to feel like I could compare side by side a DH beer vs. one where you just add the essence.    

Would there be a role to do both?

I was briefly flirting with doing “hop tea” whereby you make several different Hop teas (which essentially would be hop essence) and then taking a single Droid batch and adding varying mixtures of hops tea at bottling time to be able to drink the same beer side by side to find a favourite single hop or hop blend …..  and then I thought…. yeah right.   That’s far too involved and these H’s (essences) are probably waaay easier to work with…

The “H” liquid hops are just not for aroma they add flavour as well thought the extraction from the hops. I personally found them to be a bit weak and expensive however they were certainly an easy and clean option. Dry hopping with pellets gives self control over the strength in aromas and flavours as you can vary the amount to suit your tastes. Hop teas do work well however a bit of work. The advantage being a cleaner brew as no hop sediment is involved.

• Thanks 1

sounds about right.   I thought they were a bit weak as well (wonder if just doubling the H would help that problem)   

I reckon your advice about using a hop bag/sock was THE BEST INVENTION since dry hops!   I can load that puppy up with 150+ g of dry hops, and when ready to remove, just give it a good hand wringing to squeeze out the rest of the hops juices and BAM!  Hop bomb without any sediment whatsoever.   The DH filter has come out clean every time!   Thank you for the tips Cap!

1 minute ago, J P said:

sounds about right.   I thought they were a bit weak as well (wonder if just doubling the H would help that problem)   

I reckon your advice about using a hop bag/sock was THE BEST INVENTION since dry hops!   I can load that puppy up with 150+ g of dry hops, and when ready to remove, just give it a good hand wringing to squeeze out the rest of the hops juices and BAM!  Hop bomb without any sediment whatsoever.   The DH filter has come out clean every time!   Thank you for the tips Cap!

Great stuff, oh I trust you have sanitised your hands well before bag squeezing? The hop bag that is 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Great stuff, oh I trust you have sanitised your hands well before bag squeezing? The hop bag that is 😂

ALWAYS sanitize hands before and after squeezing bags and balls…. taught that at a young age!  🙂

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/08/2021 at 1:23 PM, J P said:

ALWAYS sanitize hands before and after squeezing bags and balls…. taught that at a young age!  🙂

You have given me a potentially great idea, to eliminate the risk using your hands to squeeze the bag I’m going to get a pair of those stainless tongs from Coles, dedicated to the brewing process, sanitise that and “bobs your uncle”.

Ps you will only ever squeeze your balls once with that 😳😭

• Haha 3