First brew done!

Benoz

5 hours ago, Benoz said:

Ok, just put my first brew through the beerdroid (Highland IPA) came out in 7 days 1hr. Tasted great straight out of the droid, no infection at all. I've already concluded that I need a second droid!

Second droid is a must, it really is. Congrats on the first brew, try not to drink it to early

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Second droid is a must, it really is. Congrats on the first brew, try not to drink it to early

Hmm, Based on 10 day average brew time, one Droid will produce 360lt per year. So consuming 1lt per day, 7 days per week will still keep you in the game. With two Droids it's 2 lt per day, 7 days per week. Personally I couldn't drink 2 lt per day after day and expect to live very long😁. Maybe I'm a marshmallow

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Benoz said:

I'm told because it was so good out of the droid it should be drinkable in a few weeks. Already have the next brew in - Mountain IPA this time.

If you can, try and space out your drinking to appreciate how brews improve. C3D got me onto trying a bottle or two at 2, 4 , 5, 6, 7, 8 weeks just gauge it, so when i first started I would have a sixer of something else to drink as well as my brews so  could get some stock build up.

In saying that, it is totally understandable if you wait 3 or 4 weeks that you then drink all 10 litres in the one go :)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Hmm, Based on 10 day average brew time, one Droid will produce 360lt per year. So consuming 1lt per day, 7 days per week will still keep you in the game. With two Droids it's 2 lt per day, 7 days per week. Personally I couldn't drink 2 lt per day after day and expect to live very long😁. Maybe I'm a marshmallow

I like the second one as it gives me the opportunity to brew for some mates, make some ales I could put away for a while and it also allows me to express brew if I get down a bit

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Benoz said:

Factoring in failures and supplying beer to friends I can't keep up with one droid. Also two gives you the ability to use 20L brew kits

I have done 25 batches without any failures. Thorough cleaning and sterilizing practices will eliminate failures. You can still use 20lt kits with one Droid. I actually started with 2 x Droids but ran out of suitable storing room in my house for all the finished bottle crates. Tried storing some in the garage but in Melbourne winter it was impractical for secondary. Just letting you know what my experience has been with Multiple Droids. It could very well work for you.

9 hours ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Now 1litre per day = 7l per week. With an imperial pint of 560ml this is equal to 12.5 pints/week. Not hard to do but I understand not to everyone’s liking. However an extra droid does give the ability to build up healthy stocks an allow for nicely matured beers. If stocks get overwhelming you can turn a Droid off, it’s then there when needed. One thing for sure with  my two boys 3 Droids can be pushed hard 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Benoz said:

Quick question - the second brew has dry hops, I selected the correct program but there is no mention of dry hopping in 'zones'  will it notify me when to add?

Hi @Benoz, welcome and congratulations on completing your first brew.

As Rob said above, try not to drink it too early. I'd strongly recommend leaving it for a minimum of 6 weeks.

Yes the app and Droid will notify you when to add the hops.

The Mountain Range IPA is a favourite of mine. This one is usually at it's best somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks.

Cheers!

22 hours ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

I actually started with 2 x Droids but ran out of suitable storing room in my house for all the finished bottle crates. Tried storing some in the garage but in Melbourne winter it was impractical for secondary.

I think you've described perfectly why many people move on from bottling to kegging their beers. 

I have 20 of the Brewart PET kegs stored in a space that would fit less than 3 slabs (72 bottles) of beer.

However I'm really looking forward to condensing that footprint even further with stainless steel kegs in future.

• Upvote 2

A second BeerDroid?  I average 1 liter (about two pints) per day productivity off my one droid.  Along with an occasional glass of Chardonnay in the evening, this is about all my 80 year old liver can tolerate.  However, making extra for friends and family is a plus.  A second droid can certainly be justified.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

A second BeerDroid?  I average 1 liter (about two pints) per day productivity off my one droid.  Along with an occasional glass of Chardonnay in the evening, this is about all my 80 year old liver can tolerate.  However, making extra for friends and family is a plus.  A second droid can certainly be justified.

No disrespect to you but someone older drinking and brewing on this forum gives me such hope. I hit 70 in December and hope to maintain 3 Droids for a while. Pickling your liver has advantages, pickled things last for a very long time. Ha 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benoz said:

Anyone who's done a mountain range IPA I have a question - my brewprint came with 2 Simcoe, 1 Centennial, 1 Cascade. When I look it up on the app it says 1 of each, is the extra Simcoe a packing error?

Definitely a packing error as it should be 25g of each.

Put the extra packet of Simcoe into your freezer and save for another day. It will last for years unopened.

I brew the Mountain Range regularly and would recommend that this is one to do as per the standard recipe.

6 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Definitely a packing error as it should be 25g of each.

Put the extra packet of Simcoe into your freezer and save for another day. It will last for years unopened.

I brew the Mountain Range regularly and would recommend that this is one to do as per the standard recipe.

The friend who put me onto beerdroid gave me a 'homebrew' and I was fairly sceptical, when I tasted it it was amazing - he gave me a mountain range. What a brew!

• Upvote 2