On 30/11/2019 at 2:13 PM, Percy said:

Got my hop sock, some Cascade and Citra ready to do my first dry hop! 

Got the below brews ready to go once my Abbey Dubell finishes. Any recommendations?

- Bombshell Blonde Low Carb

- Coopers Sparkling Ale

- Tall Tale Pale Ale

- Spoke Amber Ale

- Bohemian Lager

- Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

What did you end up doing?

10 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

What did you end up doing?

Hey Mark,

Just kegged the Abbey, not much of a fan. I think this one will get the full time conditioning. Hopefully it tastes better after time.

Did not get time to put on another brew, but will probably go with the bohemian lager like you suggested, (cannot fault any other suggestions from you, so why start now!)

I did however, just purchase another droid on the Black Friday sale, so will now be able to produce some more stock, and give it the conditioning time it deserves.

Percy

7 hours ago, Percy said:

Hey Mark,

Just kegged the Abbey, not much of a fan. I think this one will get the full time conditioning. Hopefully it tastes better after time.

Did not get time to put on another brew, but will probably go with the bohemian lager like you suggested, (cannot fault any other suggestions from you, so why start now!)

I did however, just purchase another droid on the Black Friday sale, so will now be able to produce some more stock, and give it the conditioning time it deserves.

Percy

Good one, another Droid. It does make a difference and with the price of beer these days it will certainly pay for itself.

From memory the Abbey is a high alcohol brew and in that it will need maturity. Probably 6 to 8 weeks for starters. If your bottling hide a few for 3 to 6 months, you’ll be surprised.

If you’re only got Citra and Cascade as suggested the Tall Tale would be a better choice but if a necessity to do the Bohemian then I go the Cascade - “pleasant, flowery and spicy, citrus-like quality with a slight grapefruit characteristic. The hop is good for both flavour and aroma uses....can be used for many ales... used in some lagers.”

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2019 at 12:24 PM, Barrelboy said:

How’s no2 droid going? What are you brewing at the moment?

Hey Mark, unfortunately new droid was faulty, replacement should arrive next week. Recently kegged the Tall Tale Ale, but I did not dry hop as I planning. Trying to iron out some techniques and did not want to stray from the recipe to be sure on results. Essentially wanting to be rid of the "homebrew taste" I seem to have on most of my brews. I am pretty sure its me just not leaving them to condition long enough in the kegs, and will give this one the time it deserves. I have been bottling a couple from most brews and with tasting after about 6-8 weeks they do not exhibit the "taste". 

Currently got the Stone and Wood Pacific Ale custom recipe brewing, looking forward to this one. Big fan of the original and also been loving the Wild Yak and 4 Pines Pacific ales recently, so wanting to do something similar. Would like to dry hop with some Galaxy but my local home brew store all out, so will just use a couple of H6.

To continue the testing, thinking of splitting a fresh wort kit between the droids when number 2 arrives. Have you done any of these? My home brew store of choice has kits from https://allinnbrewingco.com/fresh-wort-kits/ which look promising.

17 minutes ago, Percy said:

Hey Mark, unfortunately new droid was faulty, replacement should arrive next week. Recently kegged the Tall Tale Ale, but I did not dry hop as I planning. Trying to iron out some techniques and did not want to stray from the recipe to be sure on results. Essentially wanting to be rid of the "homebrew taste" I seem to have on most of my brews. I am pretty sure its me just not leaving them to condition long enough in the kegs, and will give this one the time it deserves. I have been bottling a couple from most brews and with tasting after about 6-8 weeks they do not exhibit the "taste". 

Currently got the Stone and Wood Pacific Ale custom recipe brewing, looking forward to this one. Big fan of the original and also been loving the Wild Yak and 4 Pines Pacific ales recently, so wanting to do something similar. Would like to dry hop with some Galaxy but my local home brew store all out, so will just use a couple of H6.

To continue the testing, thinking of splitting a fresh wort kit between the droids when number 2 arrives. Have you done any of these? My home brew store of choice has kits from https://allinnbrewingco.com/fresh-wort-kits/ which look promising.

Thanks for the response, sorry about the faulty droid however you’ll be on the go soon.

I did the Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, it was great. I did the Citra Hopped extra Pale ale but before the droids. Top brew, got me onto Citra hops. Splitting a fresh wort will certainly work. What yeast are you planning on using?

Edited by Barrelboy

No idea what yeast! Never used anything else than brew print yeast. Any recommendation?

I was actually thinking of getting the Citra pale fresh wort kit. Was thinking of dry hopping one of the droids as I have some Citra in the fridge, and comparing, with extra Citra dry hop and without. What do you reckon? Not overdoing the Citra hops?

1 hour ago, Percy said:

No idea what yeast! Never used anything else than brew print yeast. Any recommendation?

I was actually thinking of getting the Citra pale fresh wort kit. Was thinking of dry hopping one of the droids as I have some Citra in the fridge, and comparing, with extra Citra dry hop and without. What do you reckon? Not overdoing the Citra hops?

No, good idea. Dry hop 20g of Citra on day 6, will be good. If you have spare Y2 or Y1 yeast then either will be good. If not then US-05 or S-04 would be suitable.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

How’s things progressing? Both droids on the go?

Hey Mate, Have had both droids working but unfortunately production has currently exceeded storage and consumption! I have all my 5 mini kegs currently conditioning. I have been very disciplined and have not drank early, to get best results. I plan to get another three kegs in the not to distant future, to get a good rotation happening, but would like to get some consumption happening before spending more $$. Just completed a Bohemian Lager and Amber Ale which both tasted great out of the droid.

14 minutes ago, Percy said:

Hey Mate, Have had both droids working but unfortunately production has currently exceeded storage and consumption! I have all my 5 mini kegs currently conditioning. I have been very disciplined and have not drank early, to get best results. I plan to get another three kegs in the not to distant future, to get a good rotation happening, but would like to get some consumption happening before spending more $$. Just completed a Bohemian Lager and Amber Ale which both tasted great out of the droid.

Great stuff. The Bohemian Lager is a real winner. Building up stocks is great. Some brewers fill 1 x 5l keg and bottle the remaining 5 (gives about 6 bottles). The Coopers PET bottles are good for this and not that expensive (about 15 bucks for 15 bottles and caps).

27 minutes ago, Percy said:

Great stuff. The Bohemian Lager is a real winner. Building up stocks is great. Some brewers fill 1 x 5l keg and bottle the remaining 5 (gives about 6 bottles). The Coopers PET bottles are good for this and not that expensive. If your a member of the Coopers club, $16 and free delivery

• 2 years later...
On 23/2/2017 at 2:14 PM, Banjo said:

I have some cascade hop pellets in my droid right now, I put them in this morning ☺️.  My two stainless steel hop bombs are in another FV (holding onto some Nelson and Amarillo pellets) so I had to throw these cascades in commando into the droid.  The bombs are quite good because they keep all the leftover hop gunk out of your kegs/bottles, but I seem to get a more intense hit from the hops when they are commando, albeit with an very, very occasional tiny, tiny piece of hop pellet in my beer glass.

I find the dry hopping like this results in a much bigger impact to aroma than any of the hop sachets in the brewprints that I have tried.

Most of what I brew are ales and and my favorite dry hops to use in them are Cascade, Nelson & Galaxy, I tend to mainly use these ones (one or two at a time) because they are easy to get from my LHBS.  They add a great aroma to the beer.

Dry hop about 25g into the droid at about day 4 or 5 and you should notice a difference to the end result.

Agree with Nelson cascade galaxy combo. It’s dreamy.  

“Commando hop drop” that’s poetry mate.  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2