Banjo    66

I have some cascade hop pellets in my droid right now, I put them in this morning ☺️.  My two stainless steel hop bombs are in another FV (holding onto some Nelson and Amarillo pellets) so I had to throw these cascades in commando into the droid.  The bombs are quite good because they keep all the leftover hop gunk out of your kegs/bottles, but I seem to get a more intense hit from the hops when they are commando, albeit with an very, very occasional tiny, tiny piece of hop pellet in my beer glass.

I find the dry hopping like this results in a much bigger impact to aroma than any of the hop sachets in the brewprints that I have tried.

Most of what I brew are ales and and my favorite dry hops to use in them are Cascade, Nelson & Galaxy, I tend to mainly use these ones (one or two at a time) because they are easy to get from my LHBS.  They add a great aroma to the beer.

Dry hop about 25g into the droid at about day 4 or 5 and you should notice a difference to the end result.

• Upvote 4

i have been using a coffee percolator to make a liquid hops that i add to either bottles, keg or the droid while brewing, still tweaking it but result ain't too bad

Edited by ray nicholson
spelling
  • Upvote 3

Barrelboy    7
On 10/03/2017 at 1:19 PM, ray nicholson said:

i have been using a coffee percolator to make a liquid hops that i add to either bottles, keg or the droid while brewing, still tweaking it but result ain't too bad

Although an old post will comment in an endeavour to get some activity here but if not then that’s ok. I use a litre coffee plunger for steeping hops to be added to the wort and make a cold tea (in the fridge for a day) to dry hop. Works well and limits solids.

Barrelboy    7

9A8553D0-6A26-4904-88BE-247AEFD996B5.thumb.jpeg.3b6fc186f64288d792a83fe0abc7794f.jpegTo dry hop by just dropping a hop bag in can have two issues 1) it will drop and block the tap for bottling or kegging 2) at the bottom the concentration of the hop may stay near the bottom therefore not evenly distributed in the bottles or the two kegs.

So I’ve done this, sanitised before putting it in. Two pieces of tube to support the weight and float the hops on top.

2829123B-A931-4D9A-B863-C963DFB7324A.thumb.jpeg.176597557390df6f6b2f27da2807d9d4.jpeg410DD1FE-B667-423B-9911-FDFCA2AD67A8.thumb.jpeg.8cf050f0d50b2bfe993e8f647e274c42.jpeg