Cooking with Beer?

Duffman

37 minutes ago, J P said:

Just kidding. 

I make bread regularly and have ended up off recipes at this point.   Basically if you have a mixer it’s easiest but I emptied the droid sludge straight into the mixer and added a second cup of warm water, 4 pinches of salt, and I think 2-3 cups of flour.    

with bread it’s all ratios, but basically thicker than batter but not as dry as traditional bread flower.   

Whamo!

no ones died yet 

I tend not to bake often but that looked bloody good, think the recipe is great, what a fantastic use of somerhing I just usually discard

On 03/02/2021 at 6:35 PM, Rob Courtney said:

I tend not to bake often but that looked bloody good, think the recipe is great, what a fantastic use of somerhing I just usually discard

I’ve been informed that the sludge has a name.   Barm?   News to me.   

6 hours ago, J P said:

I’ve been informed that the sludge has a name.   Barm?   News to me.   

I think it might have a few names "Krausen" is a popular one. @Captain 3 Droids  used it a couple of years back and I was thinking "must be a name he came up for it" but I have heard a few people use the word outside of this forum. Homebrewers hey, what a weird mob with their own language and rumour has it, a bunch of alcoholics

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

I think it might have a few names "Krausen" is a popular one. @Captain 3 Droids  used it a couple of years back and I was thinking "must be a name he came up for it" but I have heard a few people use the word outside of this forum. Homebrewers hey, what a weird mob with their own language and rumour has it, a bunch of alcoholics

Sorry Rob, not quite correct. “Krausen” is the official brewing name for the reaction occurring at the top of the brew during fermentation and causes that “ring” around the inside. The sediment at bottom is officially called the “trub”. I do make my own names up when it comes to cleaning like “crap” 😊.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Beer focaccia today!

Basically just pick your favourite foccacia recipe, but whack a cup of trub & dregs in instead of where they say to activate the yeast in warm water and put it in.

Snapchat-1848186401.thumb.jpg.c70fd8a97bb2dca0289a8716442542e1.jpg

Seriously going to have to give that a go...I am looking at it and having an early 90s "Ham and Cheese Foccacia please" cafe flashback

Just quietly, I think it is a disgrace that this country let that dish fall off the lunchtime menu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1