First time brew

Got brewdroid for Christmas was going to do old Saxon schwarzbier did English pub draught instead. Just bottled now to wait. Next brew will be lawn mower lager (? What does it taste like).

I have brewed before in coopers brew kit but must say the brewdroid seems to be a better idea if you don’t have a brew frig to control temp. Can’t wait to try my first brew.

thanks to all and a happy new year

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Ernest Lewin said:

Got brewdroid for Christmas was going to do old Saxon schwarzbier did English pub draught instead. Just bottled now to wait. Next brew will be lawn mower lager (? What does it taste like).

I have brewed before in coopers brew kit but must say the brewdroid seems to be a better idea if you don’t have a brew frig to control temp. Can’t wait to try my first brew.

Welcome Ernest and Happy New Year to you too.

You'll love the results you can achieve with your BeerDroid.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Ernest Lewin said:

Hi, the English Pub Draught is one of my favourites, have brewed over 20 times. It’s a simple non dry hopped traditional ale that’s just so easy drinking. Do it before the lawn mower, it takes about 6 days to end of fermentation.

Welcome @Ernest Lewin to the Droid club and community.

Hours and hours of fun ahead of you and don't be afraid to ask questions, any questions no matter how dumb you might think they are because the combined wisdom in this community is staggering and completely non-judgmental.

As I learned, when you are starting out in brewing, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

Cheers  🍺

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Ernest Lewin said:

Hi all, going to start new brew, washed droid don’t have any sanitising tablets, can I use sodium percarbonate  and what quantity.???
many thanks

Ern

Yes, sodium percarbonate is great, particularly as a cleaner but it does sanitise as well. You’ll need to allow some soak time like the tablets. Fill Droid about 3/4 then dissolve about a level table spoon of the percarbonate in around 500ml of hot water to get it activating. Add this straight away into the Droid then top up with water to the level as you do for the tablets. (The two stages of water help to mix the percarbonate solution.) 

(The best method of sanitising is either star san or stellar san. Look up on the web) if you don’t know much about it)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Fill Droid about 3/4 then dissolve about a level table spoon of the percarbonate in around 500ml of hot water to get it activating. Add this straight away into the Droid then top up with water to the level as you do for the tablets. (The two stages of water help to mix the percarbonate solution.) 

would you recommend doing this with the tablets if you were using them to speed along that process/maximise effectiveness? I know they aren't your preferred method but I ordered a bunch so I might as well use them...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

would you recommend doing this with the tablets if you were using them to speed along that process/maximise effectiveness? I know they aren't your preferred method but I ordered a bunch so I might as well use them...

Yes. The tablets are basically sodium percarbonate and dissolving them does get things going quicker. Crush them then hot water etc…..

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Ernest Lewin said:

Hi All, Lawn Mower secondary fermentation complete looking at bottles seems hazy I used the hop filter will try one tonight.

If the secondary fermentation is just completed ie 2 weeks then there could be some clarity issues due to the yeast reacting with the sugar to produce Co2. Now they should taste ok but 4 weeks plus will be better.

• 1 month later...