6 minutes ago, Benoz said:

Hi quick question that I'm sure had been answered before (I looked but can't find it)

Roughly what ABV do you get per 250g of dextrose in a droid?

1%

How you can best calculate is as follows:

Each 250g package of Element and Enhancer adds 1% ABV

BTW, Enhancer X5 is 250g dextrose

So in the brew that I currently have in my Droid, I'm using:

E5 (x3) + X2 (x5) + 250g dextrose

3 + 5 + 1 = 9

So I am expecting around the 9% ABV mark.

Hope this helps  🙂

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer

2 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

1%

How you can best calculate is as follows:

Each 250g package of Element and Enhancer adds 1% ABV

BTW, Enhancer X5 is 250g dextrose

So in the brew that I currently have in my Droid, I'm using:

E5 (x3) + X2 (x5) + 250g dextrose

3 + 5 + 1 = 9

So I am expecting around the 9% ABV mark.

Hope this helps  🙂

What type of beer is that?

Besides rocket fuel :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

What type of beer is that?

Besides rocket fuel :)

Yup, like @Benoz said, my latest Hazy IPA which you can read all about in that thread.

Trying something different to use more of the Enhancer versus Element.

For the latest recipe, I've gone for more Enhancer X2 instead of the Element E5 which were used in the original Hazy IPA recipe as the X2 has both malt and wheat where as the E5 has malt and hops. I'm hoping the additional wheat will enhance both mouth feel and haziness.

As for the 9% I'm really enjoying the Rocket Cider so, why not  😉  

In all seriousness, I do enjoy my double and triples (NEIPAs, WCIPAs and Hazies) so giving this a shot.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, J P said:

Me too!!!

can you give us your take on the enhancer vs elements?    A lot of the drescriptions seem to overlap…

That's a good question @J P and I'll detail my thoughts on them one at a time starting with...

Elements

From the ingredients list, every Element contains "Malted Barley (gluten), Hops"

Then according to the descriptions, each Element varies in three key ways:

Colour, Malt Flavour and Bitterness

So the first two. Colour and Malt Flavour are a reflection of the grain bill, what grains were used and in what quantities. My guess is that they use the same base malt across the board and using various adjuncts to adjust to achieve the desired colour and malt flavour. Using the same base malt makes sense from a manufacturing and cost sense.

The expressions of colour are as follows:

minimalist colour, medium colour, fuller colour, deep colour and minimal colour

The expressions of Malt Flavour are as follows:

grainy malt, sweet/biscuity malt, roasted malt, rich roasted malt and subtle malt

So basically, it's a sliding scale from E1 to E4 in terms of less to more. Interestingly, E5 expresses the lowest for both of these characteristics.

The third, Bitterness, to me is the most interesting. Of course, this is an expression of the hops and therefore, a question of when did they use them and how much. A best guess would be that these are all bittering hops and not used at all for aroma/flavour therefore used at the start of the boil. 

From the description of each Element there are four bitter levels:

moderate bitterness (E1), medium bitterness (E2), medium-to-firm bitterness (E3 & E5), firm bitterness (E4)

Simplified, on a sliding scale, moderate bitterness (E1) would be a lowest use of hops and at the other end, firm bitterness (E4) would use a lot more hops. There may be variations of hops used but can't tell based on the info provided.

Enhancers

From the ingredients list, X1 to X4 all contain "Malted Barley (gluten)".

There are two variations the first being X5 which is just pure dextrose and therefore not worth discussing as we know that just adds ABV to your brew.

So, for X1 to X4, like the Elements above, they vary in two ways: Colour and Flavour. Notice I didn't use "Malt Flavour" as the descriptions for these Enhancers are much more descriptive than those used for Elements. Here they introduce other characteristics such as body, aroma and mouthfeel.

So like above, The Enhancers would be a base malt with adjuncts to provide the desired colour, flavour and other characteristics. They are likely using specialty adjuncts as well as a higher percentage of adjuncts for the Enhancers as they impart more colour, flavour and other characteristics when compared to the Elements.

refined colour, minimal colour, reddish hues and greater depth of colour

The expressions of flavour are as follows:

X1 - grainy sweet malt characters and body

X2 - delivering softer mouthfeel and better head retention (note here, no mention of flavour at all)

X3 - rich toffee flavours, coffee like aromas, and a higher perceived sweetness

X4 - rich aromas and flavours of roasted coffee and chocolate

To me, X2 is the most interesting because it's ingredient list is "Malted Barley (gluten), Wheat (gluten)". In the description there is no mention of flavour instead using the description "delivering softer mouthfeel and better head retention". From my own research, this is definitely from the addition of the Wheat adjunct.

When looking at all of this, my thoughts are that you can see the Elements as your base malts with a bittering hop addition and the Enhancers as your adjuncts, imparting more colour, flavour and other characteristics such as aroma, body, sweetness, etc.

Hence why, when doing my latest Hazy IPA, where all this started, I have chosen to reverse the original recipe and I used more Enhancer X2 (x5) versus Element E5 (x3) for the additional wheat that X2 provides to add the desired softer mouthfeel as well as better hazy characteristics which I know aren't mentioned in the X2 description but from research I know that wheat adds (not as much as Oats) to a grain bill. That's the theory anyway  😎

From the BrewArt website, the Descriptions for each of the Elements and Enhancers:

Element 1 (E1)

The subtle E1 Element gives your brew a minimalist colour base layered with grainy malt flavours, wrapped up in moderate bitterness.

Element 2 (E2)

The E2 Element gives your brew a medium colour with sweet/biscuity malt flavours and medium bitterness.

Element 3 (E3)

For a fuller colour and sweet flavour of roasted malt, the E3 Element delivers a medium-to-firm bitterness.

Element 4 (E4)

E4 is the Element of choice for distinctive ales with deep colour, rich roasted malt flavours and firm bitterness.

Element 5 (E5)

The versatile E5 Element provides minimal colour backed by subtle malt flavours and medium-to-firm bitterness.

Enhancer 1 (X1)

X1 is a versatile Enhancer that imparts refined colour, with grainy sweet malt characters and body. Suitable for many ale styles.

Enhancer 2 (X2)

Enchancer X2 is great for lighter style beers, delivering softer mouthfeel and better head retention while imparting minimal colour.

Enhancer 3 (X3)

X3 imparts reddish hues, rich toffee flavours, coffee like aromas, and a higher perceived sweetness to your brew.

Enhancer 4 (X4)

X4, is great for darker style beers such as stouts and porters, giving them a greater depth of colour and delivering rich aromas and flavours of roasted coffee and chocolate.

Enhancer 5 (X5)

X5 helps your brew ferment thoroughly and gives a clean finish. Increases alcohol content without imparting additional colour or flavour. Suitable for all beer styles. Ingredients: Dextrose

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1

Wow, wazza!!!! 🤯

that was above and beyond!!!

definately you’ve inspired and articulated a lot of points I couldn’t quite articulate and fully get my head around.  

especially the point about reversing the enhancer element ratio.   

I’m finding the heavy malty backbone a bit too overwhelming and almost metallic in many of my latest concoctions and have been trying to figure out why! Bam.  It all makes sense now.  

thank you for taking the time to unpack it all and give some perspective that will help me craft some of those DIPA and maybe even TIPA.  

I’ve noticed too much element isn’t to my liking, and too much dextrose, while bumping up the ABV,  dries it out leaving you wanting after it goes down the hatch!!!

cheers buddy!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

That's a good question @J P and I'll detail my thoughts on them one at a time starting with...

Elements

From the ingredients list, every Element contains "Malted Barley (gluten), Hops"

So the first two. Colour and Malt Flavour are a reflection of the grain bill, what grains were used and in what quantities. My guess is that they use the same base malt across the board and using various adjuncts to adjust to achieve the desired colour and malt flavour. Using the same base malt makes sense from a manufacturing and cost sense.

grainy malt, sweet/biscuity malt, roasted malt, rich roasted malt and subtle malt

So basically, it's a sliding scale from E1 to E4 in terms of less to more. Interestingly, E5 expresses the lowest for both of these characteristics.

The third, Bitterness, to me is the most interesting. Of course, this is an expression of the hops and therefore, a question of when did they use them and how much. A best guess would be that these are all bittering hops and not used at all for aroma/flavour therefore used at the start of the boil. 

moderate bitterness (E1), medium bitterness (E2), medium-to-firm bitterness (E3 & E5), firm bitterness (E4)

Simplified, on a sliding scale, moderate bitterness (E1) would be a lowest use of hops and at the other end, firm bitterness (E4) would use a lot more hops. There may be variations of hops used but can't tell based on the info provided.

Enhancers

There are two variations the first being X5 which is just pure dextrose and therefore not worth discussing as we know that just adds ABV to your brew.

So, for X1 to X4, like the Elements above, they vary in two ways: Colour and Flavour. Notice I didn't use "Malt Flavour" as the descriptions for these Enhancers are much more descriptive than those used for Elements. Here they introduce other characteristics such as body, aroma and mouthfeel.

So like above, The Enhancers would be a base malt with adjuncts to provide the desired colour, flavour and other characteristics. They are likely using specialty adjuncts as well as a higher percentage of adjuncts for the Enhancers as they impart more colour, flavour and other characteristics when compared to the Elements.

X2 - delivering softer mouthfeel and better head retention (note here, no mention of flavour at all)

To me, X2 is the most interesting because it's ingredient list is "Malted Barley (gluten), Wheat (gluten)". In the description there is no mention of flavour instead using the description "delivering softer mouthfeel and better head retention". From my own research, this is definitely from the addition of the Wheat adjunct.

When looking at all of this, my thoughts are that you can see the Elements as your base malts with a bittering hop addition and the Enhancers as your adjuncts, imparting more colour, flavour and other characteristics such as aroma, body, sweetness, etc.

Hence why, when doing my latest Hazy IPA, where all this started, I have chosen to reverse the original recipe and I used more Enhancer X2 (x5) versus Element E5 (x3) for the additional wheat that X2 provides to add the desired softer mouthfeel as well as better hazy characteristics which I know aren't mentioned in the X2 description but from research I know that wheat adds (not as much as Oats) to a grain bill. That's the theory anyway  😎

From the BrewArt website, the Descriptions for each of the Elements and Enhancers:

Element 1 (E1)

The subtle E1 Element gives your brew a minimalist colour base layered with grainy malt flavours, wrapped up in moderate bitterness.

Element 2 (E2)

The E2 Element gives your brew a medium colour with sweet/biscuity malt flavours and medium bitterness.

Element 3 (E3)

For a fuller colour and sweet flavour of roasted malt, the E3 Element delivers a medium-to-firm bitterness.

Element 4 (E4)

E4 is the Element of choice for distinctive ales with deep colour, rich roasted malt flavours and firm bitterness.

Element 5 (E5)

The versatile E5 Element provides minimal colour backed by subtle malt flavours and medium-to-firm bitterness.

Enhancer 1 (X1)

X1 is a versatile Enhancer that imparts refined colour, with grainy sweet malt characters and body. Suitable for many ale styles.

Enhancer 2 (X2)

Enchancer X2 is great for lighter style beers, delivering softer mouthfeel and better head retention while imparting minimal colour.

Enhancer 3 (X3)

X3 imparts reddish hues, rich toffee flavours, coffee like aromas, and a higher perceived sweetness to your brew.

Enhancer 4 (X4)

X4, is great for darker style beers such as stouts and porters, giving them a greater depth of colour and delivering rich aromas and flavours of roasted coffee and chocolate.

Enhancer 5 (X5)

X5 helps your brew ferment thoroughly and gives a clean finish. Increases alcohol content without imparting additional colour or flavour. Suitable for all beer styles. Ingredients: Dextrose

Going to have to read this tomorrow when I get up, looks very detailed and something I need to know 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Elements

Enhancers

Element 1 (E1)

Element 2 (E2)

Element 3 (E3)

Element 4 (E4)

Element 5 (E5)

Enhancer 1 (X1)

Enhancer 2 (X2)

Enhancer 3 (X3)

Enhancer 4 (X4)

Enhancer 5 (X5)

Well done Wazza. To also help and break it down a bit:-

Elements- worked out some time ago that 
E1 is equivalent to the Coopers Lager

E2 - Real Ale

E3 - Dark Ale

E4 - Stout

E5 - Draught

Believe this to be so, worked from the uses per the numerous recipe info.

X1 equivalent to Light Dry Malt extract

X2 - Wheat based malt

X3 - Amber based malt

X4 - Dark Dry Malt extract 

X5 - Dextrose 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, J P said:

Wow, wazza!!!! 🤯

that was above and beyond!!!

definately you’ve inspired and articulated a lot of points I couldn’t quite articulate and fully get my head around.  

especially the point about reversing the enhancer element ratio.   

I’m finding the heavy malty backbone a bit too overwhelming and almost metallic in many of my latest concoctions and have been trying to figure out why! Bam.  It all makes sense now.  

thank you for taking the time to unpack it all and give some perspective that will help me craft some of those DIPA and maybe even TIPA.  

I’ve noticed too much element isn’t to my liking, and too much dextrose, while bumping up the ABV,  dries it out leaving you wanting after it goes down the hatch!!!

cheers buddy!

Thanks @J P it was a good way to organise my own thoughts on this topic.

I have to agree, I do find the heavy malt backbone a little too overwhelming and had been thinking about the BrewArt Ingredients for a while now and how to best use them.

Hence why I'm doing this Double Hazy IPA and reversing the proportions of Elements : Enhancer from 3:3 in the original recipe (or 4:3 in one of my previous brews) to 3:5 for my Double.

Now that I think about it, I probably would have been better doing a 2:4 ratio as a better test but this still should do.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

E2 - Real Ale

E3 - Dark Ale

E4 - Stout

E5 - Draught

X2 - Wheat based malt

X3 - Amber based malt

X5 - Dextrose 

Thanks @Captain 3 Droids thats a really nice summary.

I’ll be updating my ShemSheet with that data.

🍻

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

It’s interesting that @Wazza_wantsbeerand @J Pdon‘t like too much malt.

I think I might be the opposite.

Yes I’m with you. That’s why with a number of brews I don’t like to over dry hop as I don’t want the hops to dominate. It’s why I’ve brewed so many English Pub Draught’s and the German Weissbier as no dry hop requirements. I do rave about the Draught. 🤗

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2022 at 3:50 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

E2 - Real Ale

E3 - Dark Ale

E4 - Stout

E5 - Draught

X2 - Wheat based malt

X3 - Amber based malt

X5 - Dextrose 

Even simpler and sweeter.  Really great work.  No doubt experience helped a bit there! 🙂

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to revive an old topic, but looking for advice to up the ABV of a pale I’m doing at the moment

(https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/the-golden-one-pale.html)

This calls for 8.5L but I’m doing in 10L for the droid, how would you calculate the dextrose required to up the ABV to the 6.5% in the recipe?

i’ve not done this before, so please let me know if I’m not understanding the concept correctly lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, T D said:

Sorry to revive an old topic, but looking for advice to up the ABV of a pale I’m doing at the moment

(https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/the-golden-one-pale.html)

This calls for 8.5L but I’m doing in 10L for the droid, how would you calculate the dextrose required to up the ABV to the 6.5% in the recipe?

i’ve not done this before, so please let me know if I’m not understanding the concept correctly lol

Each pack of E’s and  X’s (250g) adds 1% alcohol so 1 pack would suffice. Personally I’d go and an extra X1 (light dry malt extract) rather than X5 being dextrose. X5 will add the 1% but no flavour so the malt would suit the additional water better.

29 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Each pack of E’s and  X’s (250g) adds 1% alcohol so 1 pack would suffice. Personally I’d go and an extra X1 (light dry malt extract) rather than X5 being dextrose. X5 will add the 1% but no flavour so the malt would suit the additional water better.

Thanks Captain, I don’t have any X1/X5 at the moment as I’m doing a mr beer kit, I do have dextrose though, so I’d assume adding 250 would be sufficient to increase the ABV?

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Nick Seymour said:

I notice with the Beligian Strong Ale that you are required to limit the water to a litres instead of 10 due to the extra dextrose.

Should the same apply to other brews where you decide to add extra dextrose to what the ingredients originally are?

@Nick Seymour the Belgian Strong Ale is a notorious "spewer" in that it has a very active fermentation and produces a lot of krausen and CO2 which pushes the Krausen out the "spew port". Hence why 9l is recommended to give more headspace in the Droid so it doesn't pump even more krausen out the port.

It's definitely safe to add extra Dextrose to a brew and still use the full 10l.

I've used a full KG of dex in a brew in the Droid getting to 11% and it only spewed a little.

The amount of "spew" is very yeast dependent and not all yeasts will produce very thick krausen and the CO2 required to expel it out the port so rest assured you can add the Dextrose, get the higher ABV and still produce approximately 10l of finished product.

Cheers

• Upvote 2

Thanks @Wazza_wantsbeer. I was a bit concerned to start a new brew tonight with an extra bag of dextrose added. I will only add more dextrose to the 4.5 percent brews. I wouldn't brew a beer that's below 5 percent alcohol.

I think I will start up the Light House Pacific Ale tonight. I saw someone said in here that the taste is close to Stone and Wood.

• Upvote 1