I used the first half of a Coopers Pale Ale tin today to make The Hombrew Network's take on a NEIPA.

The recipe is as follows:

1/2 Can of Coopers Australian Pale Ale

700g Ale Malt

175g Quick Oats

50g Crystal Malt

250g Coopers Light Dry Malt

20g Citra

20g Galaxy

10g Centennial

LalBrew New England Ale yeast

The process is detailed here:

https://youtu.be/ldHdYdT7hto

Strike at 73 C then mash at 67 C for 60 minutes

Sparge at 76 C

Boil for 15 minutes

Chill

Steep hops from 80C onwards for 15 minutes

As I'm only making 10 - 11 litres to fit the Droid the ingredients list above is half that which is used in the video.

I played with the water chemistry on this ever so slightly. I tried using a Campden tablet in the brew water which I already double filter, just to see if it would assist in removing the Chloromines that are present in our supply. I then added a tiny amount of Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum).

For the sparge I used the wife's kettle and heated to 80 C then took the lid off and stirred with the digital thermometer to get it down to 76 C.

I cooled the wort down to 80 C in an ice bath before steeping the hops and I used a paint strainer bag to avoid having to strain the liquid as thoroughly as he does in the video.

I'm setting the following fermentation schedule:

Propagate: 20 C

Ferment:

• 18 C for 2 days
  • 19 C for 1 day
  • 20 C to EOF

Cold Crash: 4 C

I'll try @Wazza_wantsbeer's dry hop technique of half the hops at high krausen and the other half on notification by the Droid.

I'll also try the golden 8.8g /litre dry hopping ratio: 90g split into two 45g doses and will mimic the Citra, Galaxy & Mosaic mix used in the steep.

This will be a force carbonated beer so I'll aim to start drinking within 2 weeks for a fresh NEIPA taste.

Like all brewing experiments it'll either be a great success or an abject failure! 😁

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I used the first half of a Coopers Pale Ale tin today to make The Hombrew Network's take on a NEIPA.

As I'm only making 10 - 11 litres to fit the Droid the ingredients list above is half that which is used in the video.

I played with the water chemistry on this ever so slightly. I tried using a Campden tablet in the brew water which I already double filter, just to see if it would assist in removing the Chloromines that are present in our supply. I then added a tiny amount of Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum).

For the sparge I used the wife's kettle and heated to 80 C then took the lid off and stirred with the digital thermometer to get it down to 76 C.

I cooled the wort down to 80 C in an ice bath before steeping the hops and I used a paint strainer bag to avoid having to strain the liquid as thoroughly as he does in the video.

I'll try @Wazza_wantsbeer's dry hop technique of half the hops at high krausen and the other half on notification by the Droid.

I'll also try the golden 8.8g /litre dry hopping ratio: 90g split into two 45g doses and will mimic the Citra, Galaxy & Mosaic mix used in the steep.

This will be a force carbonated beer so I'll aim to start drinking within 2 weeks for a fresh NEIPA taste.

Like all brewing experiments it'll either be a great success or an abject failure! 😁

Looks great. I'll try that down the track.

cheers

On 23/03/2022 at 5:33 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

Sounds awesome. Looks like you haven't altered much from the recipe used in the video. That's one of the first BrewTuber videos I saw when researching the Droid and thought it looked like something I wanted to try.

Keep up the status reports, really keen to see how this turns out @Dustin Frothman

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Sounds awesome. Looks like you haven't altered much from the recipe used in the video. That's one of the first BrewTuber videos I saw when researching the Droid and thought it looked like something I wanted to try.

Keep up the status reports, really keen to see how this turns out @Dustin Frothman

Hehe Wazza if you do a canned wort brew from herein I’ll eat my (Captain’s) hat.

• Haha 1

Brew complete in 8 days. I thought I selected the Dry Hop option when I set this one up but perhaps not.

Oh well. I did the second dry hop today with the same quantities and will let it sit at kegging temperature for the 2 days and drop to storage temp automatically for the cold crash for another 2.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 07/08/2022 at 6:10 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

7B3132CD-77C4-4D91-8A82-537DD2DE4F7D.thumb.jpeg.37cc1e2bbcd41f5e2d91af87f3b9f513.jpeg

4 months secondary and the colour looks more like it but the hop aroma has worn off a bit.

A nice beer and another worthwhile experiment but I probably should have got into this one sooner.

Interesting how this has turned out and aged. It appears to have a quite a reddish tinge to it? Is that camera and lighting or actually a pretty fair representation of the beer?

Just taking a look at tasting video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR0XgxoHcns) it does look quite similar to what he produced. And not a criticism but rather a comment aligned with your own, not a lot of haze for a NEIPA and also quite dark for a NEIPA.

Interestingly, I note you used the Lallemand Lalbrew East Coast Ale Yeast where as he used Safale US-05.

In my own experience, having used US-05 twice, I find it doesn't give a lot of haze compared to say the Lalbrew East Coast Ale Yeast which I've also used twice. In saying that, in my own experience other yeasts like the Lalbrew Verdant, the Wyeast London Ale III, White Labs London Fog definitely give a lot more haze.

Looking at the recipe, I think maybe the 175g of Quick Oats is not enough to give the proteins needed to get that real thick juicy haze. I'm using up to 600g of oats and 600g of wheat to achieve the outcomes I've been looking for.

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
Last sentence for more info

8 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Interesting how this has turned out and aged. It appears to have a quite a reddish tinge to it? Is that camera and lighting or actually a pretty fair representation of the beer?

Just taking a look at tasting video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR0XgxoHcns) it does look quite similar to what he produced. And not a criticism but rather a comment aligned with your own, not a lot of haze for a NEIPA and also quite dark for a NEIPA.

Interestingly, I note you used the Lallemand Lalbrew East Coast Ale Yeast where as he used Safale US-05.

In my own experience, having used US-05 twice, I find it doesn't give a lot of haze compared to say the Lalbrew East Coast Ale Yeast which I've also used twice. In saying that, in my own experience other yeasts like the Lalbrew Verdant, the Wyeast London Ale III, White Labs London Fog definitely give a lot more haze.

Looking at the recipe, I think maybe the 175g of Quick Oats is not enough to give the proteins needed to get that real thick juicy haze. I'm using up to 600g of oats and 600g of wheat to achieve the outcomes I've been looking for.

The colour in the photo is not that far off how it represents. I’d say the red hue is probably from the crystal malt addition.

It’s certainly not a NEIPA but it is an interesting beer and it tastes good. So for something cooked up on the stove using half a can of wort, brew enhancer, some oats and hops then it’s been worthwhile. Yes I’d drink it earlier next time and I’d certainly tweak the recipe further to get closer to the target.

One can of Coopers wort produced two interesting beers between this and the Passionfruit Pale Ale. I’m keen to see what else can be achieved with the kits.

If the cans are on special again sometime soon then I’ll have another go. Perhaps using the Mr Beer series next time.

Getting the process right and using the Droid to ferment these beers so well was probably the best learning for me here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

If the cans are on special again sometime soon then I’ll have another go. Perhaps using the Mr Beer series next time

Keep your eye out for Big W Coopers range (catalogue, on line), they tend to have good discounts 2 to 3 times a year. Besides being of quality the good thing about the Mr Beers are that if you buy any mix of 4 then postage is free.

• Thanks 1