Rocky Ridge Dayman/Nightman recipe. Amazing

Timeline went as anticipated so kegged RR Day Man IIPA clone this morning. Will give it 48 hrs or so in the Kegerator before first tasting but cannot wait.

RR Night Man IIPA clone is in the Droid.

The Wyeast London Ale III is acting quite differently compared to the White Labs London Fog.

Will be interested to see how the fermentation progresses.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Exactly 48 hrs from kegging and carbonating in the Kegerator...

This... this is bloody awesome!

Thank you @Benoz and @J P for coming up with this recipe and suggestion.

Better than I could have hoped for.

Colour is outstanding, like a glass of orange and tropical fruit served at a 5 star breakfast buffet.

20220601_131045.thumb.jpg.3556f846bec25d815949ea3893384979.jpg

Smell is amazing, so much citrus and passionfruit.

Mouthfeel is thick, juicy and full without being over the top and cloying.

Taste, this is an absolute taste bomb... very very fruity, citrus and passionfruit but also other tropical flavours.

I want more!!!

20220601_131129.thumb.jpg.559b098ea70bc4ff9a3155db731c1eb5.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Benoz said:

I have sabro in one droid and sabro/motueka in the other as we speak

Having used motueka previously and enjoyed the flavour it brings, very keen to hear how this turns out.

Did you use even proportions of Sabro to Motueka?

My plans are to do the 3 or 4 or more "..." Man variations to find my favourite and then will do a 19 litre batch of that in my Fermzilla.

I'm thinking an all Motueka rather than a blend as I like the idea of letting the hop speak loudly in each beer.

I've purchased 2 more London Fog yeast sachets as well as Omega OYL-200 Tropical IPA and OYL-091 Hornindal Kveik yeasts to try in this recipe.

Night Man IIPA.

Kegged yesterday, in my glass today.

20220610_144717.thumb.jpg.36d25e356097a19e89f298af85a4013c.jpg

Wow, love it! First taste, the Eclipse hops absolutely shine.

First thoughts... a bit less citrus flavour compared to the Galaxy hops in Day Man with more tropical and Berry flavour.

Not sure I'm getting a lot of flavour from the yeast where as I think the London Fog used in Day Man is more noticeable.

Also, when you let it warm up more, you definitely pick up the some resinous notes which complement the fruit flavours.

About to do a side by side comparison, Day Man v Night Man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

SabroMan IIPA brew day.

Been a bit slow brewing of late due to some health issues and a semi-dry July.

But now looks a perfect time to get a brew on so it's fresh for 01 August.

Cannot wait to try it.

Keeping true to the original Day/Night Man IIPA all grain recipe.

Still to decide which yeast to use but leaning towards a second go a the London Fog.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kinda forgot just how much I love Brew Days.

The preparation;

the water and salts, the equipment, the grain and rice hulls, the hops, etc.

The smell of the wort being created, the sound of the wort being recirculated thru the grain bed.

It's just so enjoyable and a real treat for the senses.

And just to assure that it's not all easy and roses  stirring 3.6 kg of grain and rice hulls into 17.5l of 72°C water (strike temp with a mash temp of 68°C) into the 36l brewery basket is not easy.

It's a bit of a slog to make sure every grain is wet and there are no dough balls. It leaves your hands sore, especially when you have early stage arthritis due to years of rugby, league, touch and flag football, basketball, etc.

But damn, I love it.

20220722_120650.jpg

Successful brew day so far.

Brewfather predicted a pre-boil gravity of 1.071 and my set up and processes proved more efficient in that my pre-boil gravity was 1.076.

Boil and whirlpool/hop stand is finished, sample taken and will eagerly await it to cool to 20°C for the hydrometer.

Now just waiting for the wort to cool to around 30°C so I can transfer it to the Droid.

Once in the Droid, I'll set a custom stepped fermentation program, propagation at 19°C, then fermentation which will start at 18°C for 2 days, then I will manually raise it to 20°C for 2 days, 21°C for 4 days and then dry hop @17°C for 2 days but won't dry hop for 24 hrs after notification and hitting the check mark. Then cold crash or 2 more days at 4°C.

Which means the second hop addition will only be in the droid for 3 days in total before kegging.

Short and cold is the new rule for late hop additions.

First hop addition is at pitching the yeast and will put those hops into a bag so I can remove the bag when adding the second hop addition.

Hops for SabroMan are:

5g Warrior 10 minute boil addition. I did find that the Day/Night Man just missed a little bitterness for balance. 

40g hop stand for 15 minutes at 90°C.

60g first hop addition at pitching yeast.

100g second hop addition.

Yup that's right, 205g of hops in total. And 200g of Sabro.

It's madness I'll tell ya, Sabro madness!

But I used the same hop additions for NightMan and it really worked and honestly, I can't stand having 25g of hops just sitting there in the fridge or freezer taking up space.

• Upvote 1

Well, other than the ciders and the hard seltzer, this SabroMan is probably my longest brew ever. Already 12 and a half days and I only received the dry hop notification during the early hours of Tuesday morning so dry hopped yesterday.

Which means another almost 24 hours at 17°C before a 48 hour cold crash at 4°C.

This means it won't be ready to keg until Saturday morning and you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be having my first full taste on Sunday.

It's looking like 10 days to dry hop and 12 days to kegging which is significantly longer compared to other brews.

Comparing this to the Day/Night Man versions, which took:

DayMan 8 days to reach Dry Hop and 10 days to kegging
NightMan  was the same.

I did tweak the grain bill a bit for the SabroMan as I wanted a bit lighter colour for the end result. Interestingly, I did have to use rice hulls for the SabroMan due to the higher percentage of adjuncts, Wheat Malt and Oats and I wanted to avoid a stuck mash.

I don't think I mentioned it previously but I've also used the White Labs WLP066 London Fog yeast as I did for the DayMan.

DayMan/NightMan (Fermentables 4.6kg):
3.5 kg Gladfield Pilsner Malt
500g Gladfield Wheat Malt
500g Oats, Flaked
200g Caramalt, Joe White

SabroMan (Fermentables 4.55kg):
3.2 kg Gladfield Pilsner Malt
600g Gladfield Wheat Malt
600g Golden Naked Oats
150g Caramalt, Joe White
200g Rice Hulls (non-fermentable)

So whilst I thought there may be some small variation, I wasn't expecting it be be this dramatic.

All said and done, it might be taking longer than expected but that has just built up the anticipation as I cannot wait to try this one.

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

SabroMan first real tasting as I had issues with a leak somewhere in my gas lines and my 2.6kg CO2 cylinder was empty when I put it into the Kegerator. And it took a few days to realise what had happened.

So annoying.

Anyway, back to SabroMan, it must be something that I did as it's darker than both DayMan and NightMan.

It's also quite a bit more bitter which has shocked me a bit.

Not entirely sure where I went wrong but will try this again.

20220812_144334.thumb.jpg.9a542a794b70a48e637433c01334770a.jpg

The coconut flavour comes thru and the mouthfeel is definitely as full, thick and juicy as the first two clones but that colour and bitterness, not what I was expecting.

Funnily, it was looking really good, light and bright like the first two when I pulled the first 500ml to clear the trub from the tap hole and to take a sample for testing final gravity and ABV (1.024 and 7.9% respectively).

I think it make have had some O2 exposure sometime post kegging as the kegging went really well and I just followed my normal procedure - fill keg full with PBW, rinsed, filled with StellarSan and then removed the StellarSan by purging with CO2. Then closed transfer from Droid to keg.

I have a feeling that my kegerator CO2 running out had something to do with this.

Oh well, yet another lesson learned.

Cheers

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer

1 hour ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

SabroMan first real tasting as I had issues with a leak somewhere in my gas lines and my 2.6kg CO2 cylinder was empty when I put it into the Kegerator. And it took a few days to realise what had happened.

So annoying.

Anyway, back to SabroMan, it must be something that I did as it's darker than both DayMan and NightMan.

The coconut flavour comes thru and the mouthfeel is definitely as full, thick and juicy as the first two clones but that colour and bitterness, not what I was expecting.

Funnily, it was looking really good, light and bright like the first two when I pulled the first 500ml to clear the trub from the tap hole and to take a sample for testing final gravity and ABV (1.024 and 7.9% respectively).

I think it make have had some O2 exposure sometime post kegging as the kegging went really well and I just followed my normal procedure - fill keg full with PBW, rinsed, filled with StellarSan and then removed the StellarSan by purging with CO2. Then closed transfer from Droid to keg.

I have a feeling that my kegerator CO2 running out had something to do with this.

Cheers

I really like the colour of that one.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2022 at 12:54 PM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

So annoying.

Cheers

Two ways to reduce bitterness might be to reduce the amount of sabro in the initial whirlpool. BUT even better would be to use CRYO HOPS sabro for the dry hopping. If you’ve not used them yet, it’ll open a whole new world.  Basically more expensive but much more potent and way less off flavours and aromas.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, J P said:

Two ways to reduce bitterness might be to reduce the amount of sabro in the initial whirlpool. BUT even better would be to use CRYO HOPS sabro for the dry hopping. If you’ve not used them yet, it’ll open a whole new world.  Basically more expensive but much more potent and way less off flavours and aromas.   

I haven't tried Cryo hops as yet but they are definitely in my brewing plans for the near future.

In hindsight and thinking on how this brew went, one of the things I think contribute to that bitterness and possibly the colour differences is the "0 day" hops. I think especially for SabroMan which fermented for much longer than the previous two, having those "0 day hops" in for a few extra days before I removed them at the time of dry hopping made a big difference. The extra time in the wort during fermentation meant that the green grassiness flavour is present.

Next time will try going back to a more typical double dry hop (DDH) and that is, pick a  time when I think it is near to high krausen and then add the first hop addition. I'll definitely keep putting the first hop addition in a bag so that I can remove the bag when adding the second hop addition.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just put this down on the weekend. This was the droid version with what is probably a bit of a hybrid method between what was on here and Liam's suggestions. 

I'll try to keep my expectations lower as first time doing additional steeping and making wort, but still excited!! Colour looked great though

Screenshot_20220815-095710.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sam Armstrong said:

Just put this down on the weekend. This was the droid version with what is probably a bit of a hybrid method between what was on here and Liam's suggestions. 

I'll try to keep my expectations lower as first time doing additional steeping and making wort, but still excited!! Colour looked great though

Good luck @Sam Armstrong, hope it turns out really well because when they do, they are pretty spectacular!

If you have adjusted the recipe from the original Liam version and the @Benoz version, please share the recipe and method here so that everyone can see and learn from it.

Cheers

Absolutely @Wazza_wantsbeer
Thanks to this forum that's how we all learn, but I had originally held off coz not sure if it would turn out a mess - didn't want to give anyone a bad recipe!
You'll note this is a little different to what @Benoz had originally posted, and I had been in touch with Liam to clarify a few things. I didn't want to keep bugging him, so again as this was a new process for me, apologies to all if some of these techniques aren't right. But I guess that is the learning process for me which is still fun to mess around with.....

Dayman Base Ingredients : 
6 X1's 
2 X2's 
250g naked oats - not going through the full mash/boil process so suggested for the diastatic power
135g Galaxy Hops 
Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast
 - Suggested as very suitable dry alternative

METHOD 

1. Crush the Golden Naked Oats to expose the sugars on the inside - ** I got conflicting info (Brew shop said  I didn't really need to crush) and I didn't wanna keep bugging Liam, so I kinda did a 3/5 crush!
  2. Heat 2.5L of water to 65°C add the oats and steep for 30 minutes - I think this was different from the original 4L
  3. Strain the grain, and bring the liquid to the boil for 5 minutes 
  4. Turn off heat and chill to 85°C. Add 35G Galaxy Hops and 1x X1, and steep for further 20 minutes
    *I put the 1x X1 in this stage - I am not sure if it is better to have just put all the X1 in at stage 7
  5. Fill BeerDroid to 7.5L, add the wort 
  6. Wait for temp to get to 22°C 
  7. When the 10L in the droid cooled to 22° or less add the yeast, 5 X1's, 2 X2's 
  8. Parameters: Ferment 18°, Keg 14°, Store 4° 
  9. At EOF add in remaining 100g Galaxy Hops - This is also different to Benoz's initial recipe. Liam advised that adding the hops at 48 hours may mess around with the fermentation detections, so just keep all the hops for EOF.

Possible issues with my brew which might make it sub-optimal!
- see above stage 4
- In trying to be meticulous with the following of the recipe, I took much longer and ended up needing to rush. Put the Lallemand in at a bit over 22° so hopefully no detrimental impact on yeast performance. I'm also hoping the liquid at the top was warmer from the wort (with colder water underneath), and it would have cooled down quickly.

In any case, as long as it's not a total mess it should still be pretty good. The Galaxy smells amazing just on it's own!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1