Rocky Ridge Dayman/Nightman recipe. Amazing

Ok so I had a sesh at a local craft brewery a while back and discovered the best beer I've ever had. Following a chance run in with their commercial sales rep I asked him if he thought I might be able to get some hints about the recipe, he suggested I emailed the brewery and asked, said he was sure they'd help me out. When I emailed them they sent me the exact recipe, the exact recipe - I was stunned!

I have the ability to do full grain recipes but not the patience so I sent it to Liam to see if it could be done with brewart ingredients and Liam, being the legend we all know he is converted it for me. All I did was add the oats back in that Liam eliminated for simplicity reasons. I think the oat mouthfeel was important. The result? Pretty much an exact replica. Amazing. Two brews using the exact same base, one with flavours of pineapple and mango (Dayman), the other with mandrin flavours (Nightman) here is the recipe

Base Ingredients :
6 X1's
2 X2's
250g oats

Ferment 18°
Keg 14°
Store 4°

Dayman specific Ingredients:

135g galaxy hops
London fog yeast

Nightman specific ingredients:

135g eclipse hops
London ale 3 yeast

This is a hybrid recipe, it requires a small amount of steeping before becoming a brewprint style recipe.

Take one X1, 30g of the hops of the beer you wish to make and 250g oats. Boil a put of water, take off the heat, add these ingredients and let steep for 20 minutes. Strain into droid, top up with water and when it's cooled to 22° or less add the other 5 X1's, 2 X2's and yeast. After 48 hrs add 45g dry hops, at EOF add 60g dry hops and leave for 4 days. Return droid to kegging temp and bottle or keg

A bit more complex than usual but OMG it's good. Better than good, it's amazing.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Benoz said:

Ok so I had a sesh at a local craft brewery a while back and discovered the best beer I've ever had. Following a chance run in with their commercial sales rep I asked him if he thought I might be able to get some hints about the recipe, he suggested I emailed the brewery and asked, said he was sure they'd help me out. When I emailed them they sent me the exact recipe, the exact recipe - I was stunned!

I have the ability to do full grain recipes but not the patience so I sent it to Liam to see if it could be done with brewart ingredients and Liam, being the legend we all know he is converted it for me. All I did was add the oats back in that Liam eliminated for simplicity reasons. I think the oat mouthfeel was important. The result? Pretty much an exact replica. Amazing. Two brews using the exact same base, one with flavours of pineapple and mango (Dayman), the other with mandrin flavours (Nightman) here is the recipe

Base Ingredients :
6 X1's
2 X2's
250g oats

Ferment 18°
Keg 14°
Store 4°

135g galaxy hops
London ale 3 yeast

135g eclipse hops
London fog yeast

This is a hybrid recipe, it requires a small amount of steeping before becoming a brewprint style recipe.

Take one X1, 30g of the hops of the beer you wish to make and 250g oats. Boil a put of water, take off the heat, add these ingredients and let steep for 20 minutes. Strain into droid, top up with water and when it's cooled to 22° or less add the other 5 X1's, 2 X2's and yeast. After 48 hrs add 45g dry hops, at EOF add 60g dry hops and leave for 4 days. Return droid to kegging temp and bottle or keg

A bit more complex than usual but OMG it's good. Better than good, it's amazing.

Sounds great @Benoz thanks for sharing.

I’ve only made one hybrid BrewArt / mini mash / steep recipe but when I did it turned out exceptionally well so I’d be keen to give this one a go too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Benoz said:

Not a hoppy tasting beer at all. Trust me on this, make it and tell me I'm a liar! Very subtle

I bet it is :)

How strong is the alcohol in the brew is it 8.5%?

I  like how you have made it a step by step recipe that even someone like me can understand, oit looks simple whilst introducing a new method to the brewing I usually do 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Benoz said:

Must be about 8.5% ABV. I wouldn't advise driving after a couple.

For the all grain enthusiasts it's 10% oats, 10% wheat, 75% pale 5% cara. Not sure how much though. Enough for 8% abv

Sounds really nice, will look out for a can or bottle of it to see what I think about it first

12 hours ago, Benoz said:

Must be about 8.5% ABV. I wouldn't advise driving after a couple.

For the all grain enthusiasts it's 10% oats, 10% wheat, 75% pale 5% cara. Not sure how much though. Enough for 8% abv

@Benoz thanks for that.

And I assume that the yeast and hops remain the same as recipe posted above?

135g galaxy hops
London ale 3 yeast

135g eclipse hops
London fog yeast

I can confirm.  This is among the best brews around.  It’s certainly the top thing to ever come out of my droid by a significant margin.  Well worth the trouble.   The oats really gives it body and haze.  

im partial to NIGHTMAN as eclipses mandarin really pops.  

Fear not the total hops amount.   It’s the way to go and won’t blow you away.  

I guess it’s something with the multiple stage additions that add complexity and extract various features of the hop. 

have just done a SABROMAN as well

single hop same recipe just sabro instead of eclipse.  

big hit of coconut and tropics.  It’ll be a winner.  

• Like 2

Tried an early bottle of each last night. Both need to be drunk a little warmer than usual, maybe 6-8° because the fruit flavours don't come out until then. Both beers are exceptional but a little young at 4 weeks. We'll try again around the 6 week mark.

• Like 2

Holy proverbial Benoz.

That is amazing. For those unfamiliar outside of WA, RR is arguably in my opinion the best, if not most consistent brewers in WA (especially for WCIPA and NEIPA styles).  That is amazing they have given that recipe, this will get to the list to brew for sure. Now if only there is a starman recipe floating around....

• Like 1

@Benoz I'm putting together an all grain recipe for both of these.

I'm thinking to do about 20 or so litres in the Nano and do a split batch, 10 litres in each of the Droid and the Fermzilla and make one batch the Dayman and the other the Nightman as only the yeast and hops are different from what I gather but the base wort is the same.

One thing I am struggling with is sourcing the yeast, specifically, the London Fog. Can I ask where you sourced that from?

Thanks.

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer

Part two of my questions...  ;)

Looking at the original two beers, the Day Man and Night Man, I see that both are Double Dry Hopped.

I assume that you dry hopped at High Krausen and then again when the Droid told you to?

D'OH, I've also realised that the Wyeast London Ale III (1318) is a liquid yeast like the White Labs London Fog (WLP066).

Where did you source both of these liquid yeasts as they've been hard to find since the pandemic began?

20 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Thanks @Captain 3 Droids

D'OH, yes, I had just found that as well. Looks like they have both the London Ale III and London Fog yeasts in stock. But why are they always in bloody Melbourne/Victoria and none in Sydney?

Going to have to put them into my list of dealers, uhmm, I mean suppliers. Will look at their grain prices as well as their yeast prices are very reasonable compared to Kegland and some others I've looked at this morning.

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1