Thomas Cooper Artisan Reserve

1 minute ago, Jerry Roe said:

PET bottles, Mark.

That’s good as if the sugar distribution is over in a particular bottle it will just “swell” tighter and perhaps be a “gusher” when opened however if glass you have the potential of bombs (exploding).

Now here’s what I would do when you bottle tomorrow:- 

1) with a sanitised spoon/ladle gently stir the brew, move it around (to even out the sucrose, don’t stir the bottom ie don’t disturb the settle sediment (trub)
2) Don’t add any further sucrose/sugar to the bottles.

3) bottle and store away.

This should work out ok

Cheers Mark

11 hours ago, Jerry Roe said:

About to keg my first batch of Thomas Coopers Artisan Reserve. I have added the hops (2 pouches) and have noticed two pouches of sucrose. Do I add these two pouches to the batch along with the hops or did I mess up? Should I have added them at the start?

Thanks in advance.

It's a good drop Jerry, I'm not sure if you have had the original before but this isn't a bad try a it. Drinks well from about 5-6 weeks secondary and stays at that peak for a few weeks. This was one of my more favoured beers before I got into home brewing and was lucky enough to find it on tap every now and then. 

• 3 weeks later...

I tried out the Artisan Reserve at the two week point and there was no evidence of secondary fermentation, There was no foam or head on the beer but it did taste good! I guess the amount of sucrose did not promote secondary fermentation.

Since I brought this issue to you, I have tried two other Brewprints -- California Steam and Cooper's Session. I am looking forward to trying them out.

1 hour ago, Jerry Roe said:

I tried out the Artisan Reserve at the two week point and there was no evidence of secondary fermentation, There was no foam or head on the beer but it did taste good! I guess the amount of sucrose did not promote secondary fermentation.

Since I brought this issue to you, I have tried two other Brewprints -- California Steam and Cooper's Session. I am looking forward to trying them out.

Two weeks may not be enough for effective carbonation and time will tell. Tasting good means it’s not a waste, is it tasting flat? If the carbonation doesn’t improve you can mix with a similar ale, ie 2/3 of this in a glass top with 1/3 of something else.

• 8 months later...

Have only brewed this one once so in the droid today. I’m going to dry hop with 25g of Citra and 25g of  a new hop (to me anyway) that is called Sabro and is apparently a ripper. 

The Sabro profile:-  “Sabro is an aroma hop that is notable for its complexity of fruity and citrus flavors. It imparts distinct tangerine, coconut, tropical fruit, and stone fruit aromas, with hints of cedar, mint, and cream. Sabro's pedigree is the result of a unique cross pollination of a female neomexicanus hop.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Have only brewed this one once so in the droid today. I’m going to dry hop with 25g of Citra and 25g of  a new hop (to me anyway) that is called Sabro and is apparently a ripper. 

The Sabro profile:-  “Sabro is an aroma hop that is notable for its complexity of fruity and citrus flavors. It imparts distinct tangerine, coconut, tropical fruit, and stone fruit aromas, with hints of cedar, mint, and cream. Sabro's pedigree is the result of a unique cross pollination of a female neomexicanus hop.

Sounds a very interesting combo of hops flavours

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2021 at 7:28 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Well at 3 weeks had to have a sample to try with the addition of a new hop “sabro” It’s absolutely sensational, what a hop. The flavour is just unbelievable and with the citra combination . Love it when something new in your brewing turns out tops.

501E180A-6C99-4C38-BDA6-1CF137C47AC1.thumb.jpeg.3f66f568c262fa9684793daaaa89e90d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Yes you have to, it’s such a good simple delicious drop, summer bbq for sure.9A7362E5-FD59-4850-8D86-66A34CD8B406.thumb.jpeg.a9511a680723e3f8c8f1029c31835e85.jpeg

I think next time though I will mix up the hops a bit, either go with a Hersbrucker Spalt, Tettanger mix, or Saaz with some German hops. I'd love to get my hands on a six pack of it now (can't where I live) to guess the hops mix in it as I remember it not being just Saaz

Found this

Coopers’ Managing Director, Dr Tim Cooper, said Artisan Reserve lived up to the true meaning of “artisan”.

“It reflects the skill of the brewers who have pushed the boundaries of the ancient art of beermaking to create an unpasteurised product with the freshest taste possible,” he said.

“It is an all-malt Pilsner crafted with Hallertau Tradition and Hallertau Hersbrucher hop varieties, both sourced from Bavaria. Two other hops varieties have also been used, but these will remain confidential to discourage imitations.

Pretty harsh that he is keeping two varieties under wraps...

Further on

Let’s just say that these two secret ‘herbs and spices’ provide the support and balance for the German hop varieties to enrich the citrusy and flowery hop characters.

Saaz would be one of them and the bottled or on tap had a taste I had never gotten from a larger before, feels wrong but maybe some Amarillo

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...