Thomas Cooper Artisan Reserve

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I used to drink this from Coopers before it kind of went out of circulation. It was a premium lager and priced as such but was really nice. I am absolutely certain there wasn't just Saaz in it when it came out in stubbies and that was what made it such a nice beer to sit out on the front porch, look at the view and knock a few over.

I hopped this one 15gms each of Saaz and Tettanger, really no idea why, I just did. At 4 weeks, this is really nice, like really nice, very happy with the hops choice but it still isn't quite where the original was, I'd be happy to take an email from @BrewArt Team any time they are ready even if they are all..."it is these three hops, you work out the quantities tubby" 

IMG_1736.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving this experimentation you're doing. I've asked around the brewery and I wasn't able to get much information unfortunately, and this beer was before my time. But I can give you this nugget:

The Pilsner combines the hop varieties Bavarian Hallertau Tradition and Hallertau Hersbrucher.

However, I wouldn't dry hop with them. You'll get better results making a Hop Tea (or even boiling them if you want to get really complicated) But if you have a French Press Coffee Pot, add 25g of each hop to the pot, add 500ml-1L of boiling water and let steep for 20 minutes, before straining into the BeerDroid with 9L of water already in it to avoid hot liquids in the unit. 

I hope this helps, please let us know the results.

Cheers

5 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:

I'm loving this experimentation you're doing. I've asked around the brewery and I wasn't able to get much information unfortunately, and this beer was before my time. But I can give you this nugget:

The Pilsner combines the hop varieties Bavarian Hallertau Tradition and Hallertau Hersbrucher.

However, I wouldn't dry hop with them. You'll get better results making a Hop Tea (or even boiling them if you want to get really complicated) But if you have a French Press Coffee Pot, add 25g of each hop to the pot, add 500ml-1L of boiling water and let steep for 20 minutes, before straining into the BeerDroid with 9L of water already in it to avoid hot liquids in the unit. 

I hope this helps, please let us know the results.

Cheers

Well then, I will give that a go. Have some Hallertau (surprise surprise) already and hassled out Beershop guy for some Hersbrucher a couple of weeks back so he may have gotten around to it.

Whilst I have you going down memory lane, back in the late 80s Coopers used to make an "Adelaide Bitter" and it was the only beer I would drink. Granted, beer choices were limited back then in SA and an IPA was an Independent Prostate Assessment.

It brings memories back for me at 18 as my girlfriend at the times father would have a carton of it in the beer fridge for me to drink ( which I did) and had no issue with me staying over every weekend (which I did). The mum was always feeding me as well, steak sangas, big fry up breakfasts, anything to keep my strength up.

I always thought it was weird, growing up in an Irish Catholic working class family, there was no way in hell my dad would have bought my sisters boyfriend a carton of beer, let alone been OK with the sleepover.

Of course, my sisters boyfriends were always dorks and I'm well, me.

A recipe for the Adelaide bitter would be the best though it was such an easy drinker but that is being compared to it's two contemporaries, Southwark Bitter and Werst End Draught

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...