Stone and Wood, my kids loved it. I am a bit nonplussed.

Hey all,

I brewed up a batch of the 'Stone and Wood' off the spreadsheets. I had my son and son's in law around tonight. Look the kegs have been down for nigh on eight weeks.  It was by no means horrific, realistically it was extremely close to the Stone and Wood product. The offspring thought it was amazing. I reckon I am transforming into some sort of 'beer snob', seriously it wasn't bad, but it needed to be tweaked. It's taken me to get to my mid fifties to realize life is too short to be drinking mediocre beer.

10 minutes ago, Anthony Dalton said:

Hey all,

I brewed up a batch of the 'Stone and Wood' off the spreadsheets. I had my son and son's in law around tonight. Look the kegs have been down for nigh on eight weeks.  It was by no means horrific, realistically it was extremely close to the Stone and Wood product. The offspring thought it was amazing. I reckon I am transforming into some sort of 'beer snob', seriously it wasn't bad, but it needed to be tweaked. It's taken me to get to my mid fifties to realize life is too short to be drinking mediocre beer.

Oh yeah, so you think every thing needs to be tweaked?

Well yes it does and some times it is an absolute winner and sometimes it is just good but has room for improvement...and even when you get an absolute winner...you'll probably tweak it. It is the joy and heartbreak of brewing.

Still, take the positve feedback and be proud because you made a great beer and others are just stoked that they got to drink your beer :)

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Anthony Dalton said:

Hey all,

It’s great your kids love it but I do understand what you are saying with some brews. The Stone and Wood recipe calls for dry hopping 30g of Galaxy. I changed this to 20g of Galaxy and 20g of Sequoia hops. This gave an additional kick in the taste department and I won’t go back to the original.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You’ve probably hit the nail on the head Dustin. As I have mentioned in another post, I struggle to enjoy any commercial product these days,  and this brew while a nigh on carbon copy of what I was striving for, was disappointing. Ten months ago I would have been raving about the prospect of brewing ten litres of my favourite drop for twenty odd bucks, now I look at my remaining keg of it and am resigned to the fact that I’ll just bring it out again when the offspring and their partners turn up; way too mundane for my taste these days.

Cheers!

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Stone and Wood rates fellas.  
Never tried the real thing but LOVE yak pacific ale and it beats that!

galaxy 50

crystal and citra 25g each.  

this one’s a fresh crisp fruity one.  Mrs even loves it 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, J P said:

Stone and Wood rates fellas.  
Never tried the real thing but LOVE yak pacific ale and it beats that!

galaxy 50

crystal and citra 25g each.  

this one’s a fresh crisp fruity one.  Mrs even loves it 

I was somewhat taking the urine.

The original Stone & Wood Pale / Pacific Ale was quite a nice beer prior to it being dumbed down for the mass market. Their Cloudcatcher Pale Ale is not bad and their special beers, stouts etc. are great.

I had a few of their barrel aged red ale at a pub on Friday night and other than being incredibly sweet it was pretty good. Potent at 8% too.

• Upvote 1