1kg  Light dry malt.

300 grams beer improver - malt, dextrose & malt dextrin.

11 litres of water

US 05 yeast.

Cascade hops & centennial hops

14 gram centennial 60 minute boil

13 gram centennial 40 minute boil

14 gram cascade 5 minute boil

14 gram mix cascade & centennial at flame out.      Method -     2 litres of water were bought to the boil with 300grams of coopers beer improver. then the hops were added and boiled for the specified times above. The mix was then bought down to room temperature and tipped into the beer droid, Didn't realise the tap was open and lost some hoppy wart all over the place! I was quick enough to react not to loose too much. I then topped the droid to eleven litres, put the US 05 yeast in followed by the LDM (light dry malt) and started an ale program.

I like hoppy beers and was aiming at an American Pale Ale style.

Anyone else done this sort of thing yet?

Edited by Damian Ryan
spelling
  • Upvote 2

I just did an extract based brew today.  Yours looks very nice, Cascade is one of my favorite hops to use.

The one I did was:

1.5kg Light LME

250g Wheat LME

BRY-97 Yeast

50g Galaxy Hops

Add 250g Wheat LME to a pot with 3L of water, bring to boil.  When boiling add 20g Galaxy and boil for 10 min.  Then add 10g Galaxy and boil for another 10 min.  Remove from heat add the Light LME can and mix in then cool in iced water.  Pour into the Droid, then top up to 10L with water.  Add the yeast, set to brew to Ale settings and away you go.  Dry hop the remaining 20g Galaxy on day 5 or 6.

• Upvote 2

Yep, unhopped, it was a can of the coopers light liquid malt extract.  The wheat one was a pouch of the mr beer range golden malt extract.  Though you could use few of the brewart X1's and an X2 in place of these, the coopers stuff was what what I had on me at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Up date

I ended up cold crashing (storage mode) for 5 days.

I have kegged half and bottled the rest. I got 12 Grolsch bottles.

The beer from the droid looked like Feral Brewing's Sly Fox. A very pale cloudy beer.

A taste from the droid before bottling was very good and I am looking forward to the finished product.

Dan Murphy's has sly fox on sale for $13 a 6 pack for members. Its free to join and you can join up in store.

Word of warning joining DM's loyalty program.

Read the fine print about what rights to your name, address, phone number, email address etc, etc that you are signing over to them.

No different to Coles, Woolworths (which of course DM are) in fact any of the big boys loyalty programs.

Nothing is for free on the 21st century.

• 2 weeks later...

The beer turned out excellent.

It was straw in colour with a nice bitterness on the back end. it was both hoppy and malty. I think I flocked it but I am very happy with the beer. I have only cracked open the bottles so far and will do the keg soon

The improvement in 3 weeks conditioning was remarkable, this is definitely an early drinking beer and not one to store.

• Upvote 1

Sounds great! I might have to try that recipe one day, cascade definitely my favourite hop!  The recipe i did turned out nice, but not quite as bitter as i was hoping for, i will have to double check the calculations.  We ended up drinking both kegs over the easter weekend which was exactly 2 weeks conditioned in the keg.

• Upvote 1

Try boiling the hops for 60 mins next time mate, that will definitely get your bitterness level up. I have just placed a keg of this in the brewflow so looking forward to trying this on tap. I have to say I am really impressed with this beer. I have been brewing for many years in the traditional way and must say that the beer droid makes a tremendous difference to the finished product.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 17/03/2017 at 7:34 PM, Damian Ryan said:

1kg  Light dry malt.

300 grams beer improver - malt, dextrose & malt dextrin.

11 litres of water

US 05 yeast.

Cascade hops & centennial hops

14 gram centennial 60 minute boil

13 gram centennial 40 minute boil

14 gram cascade 5 minute boil

14 gram mix cascade & centennial at flame out.      Method -     2 litres of water were bought to the boil with 300grams of coopers beer improver. then the hops were added and boiled for the specified times above. The mix was then bought down to room temperature and tipped into the beer droid, Didn't realise the tap was open and lost some hoppy wart all over the place! I was quick enough to react not to loose too much. I then topped the droid to eleven litres, put the US 05 yeast in followed by the LDM (light dry malt) and started an ale program.

I like hoppy beers and was aiming at an American Pale Ale style.

Anyone else done this sort of thing yet?

Hi Damian, appreciate this is an old post however I’m interested in that you used 11 litres in the Beerdroid rather than the 10. Can you recall if you had any problems with this like overflow of the krausen? Have you done many more brews at 11 litres?

Thanks Mark

• 1 year later...