Wicked Night Pumpkin Ale

New to the community and just purchased BrewDroid and BrewFlo.  Interested in trying the Wicked Night Pumpkin Ale.  Has anyone tried this yet?  I see that you have to purchase some of your own spices as well according to the BrewPrint or did I read that wrong?  I see the unit is in grams which I'm not terribly familiar with.  Has anyone converted these values into teaspoons? Thanks again in advance.

• 2 months later...

super late but this is the first brew I made with my Brewart. I used a kitchen scale to weigh out the spices, it wasnt as exact as I would have liked, and the spices were whole, I did crush them a little with a spoon before I threw the in the pot of boiling water. I suppose if they were powdered they would have been tough to strain out. 

The end result was perfectly tasty

• 1 month later...

Hi people, just wanted to check the extra ingredients/spices for this one. My slip of paper gives the grams of the spices as 1.25 g, which I've converted to 1/2 + 1/8 of a teaspoon - so not very much. The star anise though says 75 g - which would be close to 100 pods - way more than I've ever put in anything! Is my slip wrong? Should it be 7.5 g? Those that have made this ale - did you use the full 75 g? Thanks in advance :)

34 minutes ago, Chris & Jane Buckland said:

Hi people, just wanted to check the extra ingredients/spices for this one. My slip of paper gives the grams of the spices as 1.25 g, which I've converted to 1/2 + 1/8 of a teaspoon - so not very much. The star anise though says 75 g - which would be close to 100 pods - way more than I've ever put in anything! Is my slip wrong? Should it be 7.5 g? Those that have made this ale - did you use the full 75 g? Thanks in advance :)

Hi, Mark here. The star anise is 0.75g not 75. It doesn’t need much. The spices are small so none dominate.

Sounds like a good brew, let us know what you think when consuming.

• Like 1

Hi 

2 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Hi, Mark here. The star anise is 0.75g not 75. It doesn’t need much. The spices are small so none dominate.

Sounds like a good brew, let us know what you think when consuming.

Hi Mark,

Thanks heaps, you're a legend! Pretty much what I suspected and did find the correct information when I checked the details on the brewprint in the app. I'll definitely let you know how it turns out. I was really happy with the Julebryg Spiced lager which you do a similar thing with so looking forward to this one :)

Edited by Chris & Jane Buckland
Corrected spelling...
  • Upvote 2

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Meredith LC said:

Anyone know if this will come back for fall 2019? I am a new BeerDroid owner and would love to try my hand at a pumpkin ale!

Hi Meredith, Mark here. You say “fall 2019” so I take it your in America? The pumpkin ale is available here in Australia at the moment but that may not help you. (Can you easily purchase the ingredients?)

Perhaps contact the Brewart Store by email. Let us know how you go.

7 hours ago, Meredith LC said:

Anyone know if this will come back for fall 2019? I am a new BeerDroid owner and would love to try my hand at a pumpkin ale!

Hey Meredith, if this isn't available as a print on the American website then purchase the individual ingredients as such

1 X E1

2 X E2

1 X (X1)

1 X (X2)

1 X (X3)

1 X h7

1 X Y3

Brewing program Ale

Brew Notes:  This brew requires additional ingredients that you will need to source; 0.75gm Star Anise, 1.25gm Cinnamon, 1.25gm Nutmeg, 1.25gm All Spice, 1.25gm Ginger, 1.25gm Clove. After fermentation, boil 1 cup of water, add spices and infuse for 15 minutes, strain into BeerDroid along with single Hop pouch addition. Beware when brewing this bold beer, due to it’s vigorous fermentation it may overflow from the vent port for the first 48 hours.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, Darran Haynes said:

Visiting the markets this weekend to pick up the spices for this bad boy... Assuming by 'ginger' I'm literally getting a ginger knob and shaving 1.25g?

Ingredients seem so miniscule but will play it smart and stick to what's been instructed! 

Yes, I’d say you would grate the ginger, (making a tea), steep for say 30min in just boiled water, (use a hop bag) remove and boil liquid for 5 min to kill any bacteria.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/12/2019 at 9:38 AM, Darran Haynes said:

Visiting the markets this weekend to pick up the spices for this bad boy... Assuming by 'ginger' I'm literally getting a ginger knob and shaving 1.25g?

Ingredients seem so miniscule but will play it smart and stick to what's been instructed! 

How did this turn out? Had a sample yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just cracked open my first bottle after 4 weeks secondary and it's really nice. I ended up adding 4x the amount of spices and added 4 grams of pumpkin pie spice because I wanted heavier spice notes based on my love of Southern Tier's Pumking. I'd definitely brew again, perhaps adding an X5 for added alcohol content. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Meredith LC said:

Just cracked open my first bottle after 4 weeks secondary and it's really nice. I ended up adding 4x the amount of spices and added 4 grams of pumpkin pie spice because I wanted heavier spice notes based on my love of Southern Tier's Pumking. I'd definitely brew again, perhaps adding an X5 for added alcohol content. 

Great it’s turned out so well. Good feeling when you make personal adjustments to a recipe and it turns out to your liking. Will be interesting how this develops over time but waiting can be a big problem in this game 🤔🥱

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2020 at 5:54 AM, Meredith LC said:

How have they matured? All gone? What are you brewing now? (we are an inquisitive/interested mob here)

• 1 month later...