Beers at the pub

Rob Courtney

Every now and then at the pub ( and remember, I am in a country town) I will, try the beers on tap. I usually get the pale ale as it is less offensive than others.

Tonight, they had "Two Suns" lager on tap. Wow, what a crap beer, like really crap. If you brewed that you'd think, won't make that again, would rather drink Carlton Cold

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

Every now and then at the pub ( and remember, I am in a country town) I will, try the beers on tap. I usually get the pale ale as it is less offensive than others.

Tonight, they had "Two Suns" lager on tap. Wow, what a crap beer, like really crap. If you brewed that you'd think, won't make that again, would rather drink Carlton Cold

Worst than Carlton Cold, wow. How much did you have to pay for the “Two Suns”?.

6 hours ago, Darran Haynes said:

Yep they're pushing Two Suns hard over here in WA - it's like every pub has it and it's usually their cheapest or 2nd cheapest drop.

Have you tried it Darran? I’ve noted that in a lot of pubs now you charge like a wounded bull for the good stuff but offer to those not so affluent some absolute shit at a cheap price. 

On the positive, the beer wasn't as bad as Iron Jack. I'm not sure what taste they were going or with that brew but I'd like to think they were way off the mark, hate to think that was what they aimed for. So, that means at my local pub ( 300  metre walk, do nice food) they have on tap, Pale ale, dry, super dry, Two Suns, Great Northern mid and Draught.

Not exactly a great choice 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Have you tried it Darran? I’ve noted that in a lot of pubs now you charge like a wounded bull for the good stuff but offer to those not so affluent some absolute shit at a cheap price. 

Yep tried it once to wash down a 2 for 1 burger meal on a Wednesday night at a nearby pub... never did that again!!! (same goes for the burgers!)

Edited by Darran Haynes
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Darran Haynes said:

Yep tried it once to wash down a 2 for 1 burger meal on a Wednesday night at a nearby pub... never did that again!!! (same goes for the burgers!)

One of the local pubs here had a $7 burger and pint lunch. The pint was Carlton Draught and the burger was OK, came with bacon and a decent amount of chips. I was telling one of the women at my work about it and she asked whether you got a plate to the salad bar. I pointed out the salad bar was the tomato and lettuce on the burger

Wowee!  Those kinds of prices are unheard of in P-Town...

My local does a burger and pint for $20 (in fairness; pick of any tap beer - I usually go Kilkenny or James Squire) - No bacon though 😢
In town where I work it's more like $22+ or so and considered a 'special weekday deal'.

For a while there was a $3.50-$5 pint craze going on but all the places closed down or changed management I think... 

• 5 months later...
On 10/12/2019 at 8:21 PM, Darran Haynes said:

Wowee!  Those kinds of prices are unheard of in P-Town...

My local does a burger and pint for $20 (in fairness; pick of any tap beer - I usually go Kilkenny or James Squire) - No bacon though 😢
In town where I work it's more like $22+ or so and considered a 'special weekday deal'.

For a while there was a $3.50-$5 pint craze going on but all the places closed down or changed management I think... 

Thought I raise this thread up again. As things are starting to open up so to speak in Adelaide me and the good women had a counter meal at the Middle Pub, Willunga (Rob will know) top meals around the $19 mark however for once in my life I didn’t complain about the craft brewery Pilsner on tap at $9 pint, 1) it was a top drop 2) the pub first opening deserved it 3) just happy to be out so who gives a s...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Thought I raise this thread up again. As things are starting to open up so to speak in Adelaide me and the good women had a counter meal at the Middle Pub, Willunga (Rob will know) top meals around the $19 mark however for once in my life I didn’t complain about the craft brewery Pilsner on tap at $9 pint, 1) it was a top drop 2) the pub first opening deserved it 3) just happy to be out so who gives a s...

Yeah, the happy to be out having a meal can't be underestimated. Rather selfishly, I'm a fan of the "only 20 sitting at one time" rule, it's great. When I want a beer...there is no line up, when I want to order food, no line up, just brilliant.

• Upvote 1

On 07/06/2020 at 3:17 PM, Barrelboy said:

Now that we have a date for the SA border quarantine ending, I can say with some certainty that the very first thing we'll be doing after the wife collects me from the airport will be going straight to the pub. 

The Wheatsheaf in Thebarton and The Grace Emily in the city are stops one and two, followed shortly thereafter by the West Thebby. 🤪

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Now that we have a date for the SA border quarantine ending, I can say with some certainty that the very first thing we'll be doing after the wife collects me from the airport will be going straight to the pub. 

The Wheatsheaf in Thebarton and The Grace Emily in the city are stops one and two, followed shortly thereafter by the West Thebby. 🤪

Very good choices in pubs. Is stop 4 bed? 🤢😂

• 7 months later...

Last night at the pub, they had more beers on tap, unfortunately I only saw the first set of beers and one of those was a Furphy lager, when as I was sitting, waiting for my food and thinking "man, what a lifeless beer this is" I noticed the second set of taps with Session Ale on it. So it ended up good as the Session (or Pacific Pale Ale ) was a rare treat in a country pub that still goes the West End Route.

Still, Furphy lager, would rate it with the US Chiller, non offensive, easy to drink lager ( I guess...in a low carb beer sort of way) just missing hops in it to give it some oomph. It is kind of sad that in a country that produces so many nice beers, this is on tap. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Last night at the pub, they had more beers on tap, unfortunately I only saw the first set of beers and one of those was a Furphy lager, when as I was sitting, waiting for my food and thinking "man, what a lifeless beer this is" I noticed the second set of taps with Session Ale on it. So it ended up good as the Session (or Pacific Pale Ale ) was a rare treat in a country pub that still goes the West End Route.

Still, Furphy lager, would rate it with the US Chiller, non offensive, easy to drink lager ( I guess...in a low carb beer sort of way) just missing hops in it to give it some oomph. It is kind of sad that in a country that produces so many nice beers, this is on tap. 

So true, the Furphy is fairly weak IMO and they +barge like wounded bulls for it. The Session on tap is good.

3 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

So true, the Furphy is fairly weak IMO and they +barge like wounded bulls for it. The Session on tap is good.

If I was able to get Session on tap at all my pubs, I'd be OK with that. There is a local cafe down here though that has it's own brewery (Little Rippa) that goes OK, pity some of the pubs don't support local

3 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Last night at the pub, they had more beers on tap, unfortunately I only saw the first set of beers and one of those was a Furphy lager, when as I was sitting, waiting for my food and thinking "man, what a lifeless beer this is" I noticed the second set of taps with Session Ale on it.

IMO Furphy is a waste. I guess it's cold and wet for when you're really thirsty but that's about it. I think as a beer drinking nation we should've moved on from that stuff by now.

From a domestic beers perspective Coopers XPA, Coopers Aged Stout (if you can get it) or Coopers Pale are probably my top three choices - easy to say if you live in Adelaide though. I was in my own little world of bliss whilst the Coopers Hazy IPA was to be found around town on tap but it appears to be gone now. We did discover a couple of cans of it at Plant 4 in Bowden on Friday night so it was nice to drink it on a warm night watching the sunset and to be reminded of just how good it is. I hope it comes back.

I also think that Pirate Life Pale Ale (their first beer and still probably their best) goes really well on draught and even since the CUB buyout I'll have a pint when we're in a pub that has it. The recipe has changed a little though. You can certainly tell that they use less late hop additions than the original beer and I'm guessing as you scale up to CUB level production the cost of hops on those volumes is huge. A little sad as it was a such game changing beer for the Australian market at the time.

We live in an exciting time for beer fans. So many amazing local offerings to choose from. There's really no excuse for drinking rubbish anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 26/01/2021 at 4:26 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

So correct, particularly when they have the gall to charge the same as the good stuff. 

That's the thing that was bugging me, it was 6 bucks for a pint, 10 for Imperial and it was on par with US Chiller and that's $17 for 10 litres. Whilst the cost of the beer was annoying, it wasn't half as bad as when I noticed the second set of taps which had the Session on it...I was ropeable then