West Coast Pale Ale

So many ales; so little time... 😢  I came dangerously close to buying a 2nd hand droid last week for $400 but a couple of small issues made me hold off.  Still waiting for that magical new one to fall in my lap via gumtree for $400 (or a Brewart sale at 20% off; could justify $640).

(EDIT - have re-posted under GDOS Ale thread)

Edited by Darran Haynes

29 minutes ago, Darran Haynes said:

So many ales; so little time... 😢  I came dangerously close to buying a 2nd hand droid last week for $400 but a couple of small issues made me hold off.  Still waiting for that magical new one to fall in my lap via gumtree for $400 (or a Brewart sale at 20% off; could justify $640).

(EDIT - have re-posted under GDOS Ale thread)

Did you see the brand new unopened unit in Glenelg SA for $500. I reckon an offer of $400 could get it? As it’s in the transportable original box a courier may not be that expensive?

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2019 at 11:18 AM, Barrelboy said:

Did you see the brand new unopened unit in Glenelg SA for $500. I reckon an offer of $400 could get it? As it’s in the transportable original box a courier may not be that expensive?

Made enquires for a friend, the unit has been with them, unopened with an American Pale Ale for 2 years. Yes 2 years. This would make it one of the first models which apparently had a few teething problems if you go on the early reports here and elsewhere. To be honest I wouldn’t pay 200 bucks for it as the risk (no warranty) is to high. Spare parts, 50 bucks.

2 years, still can’t believe it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having a longneck tonight because well, Jesus only rose from his grave to have a few frothies*

Interesting beer, really interesting, developing nicely, may come to prefer this to the APA. Will have to say though, this and the Tiger both from Crown seals...much better at keeping carbonation, had a couple of US Chiller swing tops today and yeah, the head just disappears. 

*apologies if offended

8 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Having a longneck tonight because well, Jesus only rose from his grave to have a few frothies*

Interesting beer, really interesting, developing nicely, may come to prefer this to the APA. Will have to say though, this and the Tiger both from Crown seals...much better at keeping carbonation, had a couple of US Chiller swing tops today and yeah, the head just disappears. 

*apologies if offended

No offence here. I enjoyed this one however your right in previous comment about needing more tIme. It is a good developer so to speak and could be left for quite a while.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

No offence here. I enjoyed this one however your right in previous comment about needing more tIme. It is a good developer so to speak and could be left for quite a while.

Going to sample the bottles about every couple of weeks but leave the keg until at least June but maybe longer depending where the bottles get too

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Tried another longneck tonight, probably preferred the second pint to the first. Still think the flavours need to open up, maybe this is what it is. I am going to keep having a bottle every second week to see and I thin I will look at the keg at 4+ months

Will be interested at 4 months about the hops presence.

Ok, so 9 weeks in and what tasted a bit like fruit tingle to begin weeks ago with is developing into a strong citrus flavour, maybe Grapefruit.

I can see what you guys mean on this one, APA is a nice beer but WCPA has it covered and I think it still has some more time to go to get to its peak

• Upvote 1

I think when it comes to the keg of this, i will drink it on the Friday, then swap it for a lager on the Saturday and do the same the week after. It sounds a bit precious but I don't appreciate it as much the second night, have noticed that with both Ales and Wheat beers. Still, I have two longies, two Grolsch bottles and a stubbie of this to keep gauging how it is going.

I think this at 10-12 weeks though, cracking a bottle with your beer mate who thinks he knows a bit...think he'd be impressed

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/04/2020 at 7:47 PM, Barrelboy said:

Will be interested at 4 months about the hops presence.

So I threw this in the Flo for last night, 13 weeks in. Funnily enough and I can't quite put my finger on it, I didn't hit this too early, may have even been 8 pm before I had a beer. Flavour hasn't dissipated at all, still strong hops flavour. Will have a few pints tomorrow with a beef strog and then take the keg back out again for a few weeks

15 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

So I threw this in the Flo for last night, 13 weeks in. Funnily enough and I can't quite put my finger on it, I didn't hit this too early, may have even been 8 pm before I had a beer. Flavour hasn't dissipated at all, still strong hops flavour. Will have a few pints tomorrow with a beef strog and then take the keg back out again for a few weeks

How much hops did you use?

Did a review of this a month back, need to do again, but just so many to “do again”
“Second time brewed and it hasn’t been disappointing. Lovely hop hit, citrus flavour with a subtle malt background to it. A pleasant bitter finish with a morrish lingering aftertaste. In my top 10.”

EC8FC489-97EE-4914-A5BC-C002B33872ED.thumb.jpeg.0aea2cf91f1f7ab2efc63e70f777fbf8.jpegA57EC5B3-BE02-4A09-863B-31A0F5613B26.thumb.jpeg.fd3dff97f5366546c104221e97362dec.jpeg