West Coast Pale Ale

6 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

How much hops did you use?

Did a review of this a month back, need to do again, but just so many to “do again”
“Second time brewed and it hasn’t been disappointing. Lovely hop hit, citrus flavour with a subtle malt background to it. A pleasant bitter finish with a morrish lingering aftertaste. In my top 10.”

EC8FC489-97EE-4914-A5BC-C002B33872ED.thumb.jpeg.0aea2cf91f1f7ab2efc63e70f777fbf8.jpegA57EC5B3-BE02-4A09-863B-31A0F5613B26.thumb.jpeg.fd3dff97f5366546c104221e97362dec.jpeg

20grams Amarillo

• Upvote 1

Is a bit of a love/hate relationship with this one. I mean hate is a strong word to use with beer so keep it in context but it is a beer that is better by the second and third pint. You can really taste the, to me grapefruit, citrus flavour through it and it goes OK. Given I am more of a pilsner fan though I prefer the crisper flavours of those brews.

In saying that though, it does drink easier than the APA, which seemed to be flavoursome for the first pint or two and then lose drinkability

12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Is a bit of a love/hate relationship with this one. I mean hate is a strong word to use with beer so keep it in context but it is a beer that is better by the second and third pint. You can really taste the, to me grapefruit, citrus flavour through it and it goes OK. Given I am more of a pilsner fan though I prefer the crisper flavours of those brews.

In saying that though, it does drink easier than the APA, which seemed to be flavoursome for the first pint or two and then lose drinkability

Put this one down today, couldn’t help myself. ( put The Original Pilsner into a maturing keg )

• 4 weeks later...

Had a stubbie tonight of this, 17 weeks in. Have one more taster stubby and probably under a half keg still waiting to go. I know this sounds like crap and different people have different tastes when it comes to beers but, I reckon it could do with a little more time...

It has really opened up, the hops isn't as in your face but it is still a flavoursome beer...packed full of flavour but you can taste the various parts of it as it moves over the mouth, a lot of citrus ( grapefruit) as you drink this but I feel it will balance even more with a few more weeks...so, 5 months with a Brewprint, will report how that goes

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

different people have different tastes ”  agree as at just over 4 weeks I find this an enjoyable drop, great flavour with an enjoyable bitter finish.

Rob, 17 weeks plus? In fairness your a lager man and perhaps the ales are a bit too extreme earlier. This is not a negative criticism of opinions, it’s just like when I went to lagers being an ale man I did have to adjust my taste interpretations. I find some lagers great early, some later. 

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

different people have different tastes ”  agree as at just over 4 weeks I find this an enjoyable drop, great flavour with an enjoyable bitter finish.

Rob, 17 weeks plus? In fairness your a lager man and perhaps the ales are a bit too extreme earlier. This is not a negative criticism of opinions, it’s just like when I went to lagers being an ale man I did have to adjust my taste interpretations. I find some lagers great early, some later. 

No offence at all, if we were all exactly the same, it'd be boring. That's why we should always appreciate diverse thoughts and opinions even if we disagree with them ( something in that for the PC mob) . Whereas you really like it at that stage, I can see more as it opens up but at the end of the day, we both think it's a good beer. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Yes a good drop indeed, however I couldn’t wait 3 months, 2 at the most for me.

Fair enough. I saw the bit where you said 4 or 5 weeks and you really liked it where it, for me is just something I'd have a glass of and then move on to something else but tonight, could have had a few of those 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2020 at 8:43 PM, Rob Courtney said:

I still have a stubbie of this left, sitting at 23 weeks, might try it on the weekend to see what it is like now.

Be annoying if I really like it and think crap, no more left

and tonight whilst grabbing a few Neder and Pales for tomorrow...I bloody well thought I had a longneck of this around and I found it, will have it on Saturday

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/08/2020 at 6:50 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Once again, far better for me at six months than early on. Really surprised by how strong the Amarillo stands out even after this time, I mean it has mellowed but it is dominant still.

Your so right, enjoy now with the brew on 6 weeks kegged. A top drop, a real favourite PA and the Amarillo hops just stand out, as you say and so nicely. 

Edited by Barrelboy

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have to agree with the Captain, at 6 weeks this is good drinking, at 4 weeks it was a bit young with quite a strong citrus flavour, this has mellowed . This is super morrish can see me putting a few of these away around the pool table and fire tonight. Especially on tap. Cheers everyone on a good weekend.

IMG_20210525_185648809.jpg

IMG_20210528_155929652.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Have to agree with the Captain, at 6 weeks this is good drinking, at 4 weeks it was a bit young with quite a strong citrus flavour, this has mellowed . This is super morrish can see me putting a few of these away around the pool table and fire tonight. Especially on tap. Cheers everyone on a good weekend.

IMG_20210525_185648809.jpg

IMG_20210528_155929652.jpg

What can anyone say with that brew and that view. Great stuff.

Edited by Captain 3 Droids

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...