Can Not Connect to WiFi

Gotcha on these tips…I don’t think I’ve conditioned beyond two weeks before but I will go easy on the taste tests to see what could happen. Should I after two weeks refrigerate the ones I didn’t drink or should I leave them in their cool corner of the basement for best development?

as for storage mode…my work schedule may require it…for if I’m not home when it wants to keg…it’ll have to wait…as a railroad man, being away from home is most of the time, only a little better than trucker!

Edited by John Garrison

2 hours ago, John Garrison said:

Gotcha on these tips…I don’t think I’ve conditioned beyond two weeks before but I will go easy on the taste tests to see what could happen. Should I after two weeks refrigerate the ones I didn’t drink or should I leave them in their cool corner of the basement for best development?

as for storage mode…my work schedule may require it…for if I’m not home when it wants to keg…it’ll have to wait…as a railroad man, being away from home is most of the time, only a little better than trucker!

To let them condition, try to keep them out of the fridge until you want to drink them. I like keeping my brews in an area between 16-26 c or 60-78 f  until I need to drink them. They tend to progress better that way though if your spot is colder it will just take longer to get the same flavour profile as you would have with it being warmer. During winter I tend to have three brews conditioning for their first 4-5 weeks in the living area so they get a decent start.

If you are away, yeah, let it go into storage and just deal with it when you get back.

Now 4 days in fermentation…most if not all of the solids have settled as I have previously observed when fermenting in a glass carboy and bubbler. I assume it’s getting close to done. I don’t know what it does with pressure buildup unless it’s holding it in and making some carbonation. Very much a discovery this batch. And an interesting turn of events; I found that the American Ale brewprint recipe is still available in the app…and I placed it on my shelf. But I will say not knowing this fact when I started I just selected the “Ale” button on the droid and let it decide what to do. I am actually thinking about what next to make but that has to remain a mental exercise while this batch is still to be tasted!

• Upvote 1

John, I always do the final bottle prep just before bottling anyway. I always wash them before storage, but at bottling time, it's a quick rinse and inspect, then starsan and bottle. If you have to leave it for too long, the droid will go into storage mode. If that happens, use the app to push it back to kegging temp before bottling. 

3 hours ago, John Garrison said:

It’s holding at keg temp and seems like it will sit until I get the bottles ready. It was actually keggable at 1944 last night…. I was asleep at 1900 after a 36 hour day…26 years of that!

Don't worry about getting right on it, John. It'll hold just fine at kegging temp for a couple days, and like I said, if it goes to storage, you can manually move it back to kegging status. 

After bottling I can say the brew is a bit turbid and uniformly so as I expect a homebrew to be sometimes. And it smells about right if a little underdeveloped of course. My nephew caught a whiff of the trub and was impressed. Bready stuff. Bottles now in a reasonably accommodating room never too cold never too warm and will crack one in two weeks to see what it's becoming.

One week almost of conditioning and bottles are hard as a brick…beer is carbonating well…I expect a two week taste will go well and may consider four weeks for the remainder.

I found I could have made a good fourteen bottles but only had twelve prepared. So the amount that was left I used to swish around and loosen up the trub.

and I actually bought and received the next recipe…Belgian Lager 🍺 

Edited by John Garrison

2 hours ago, John Garrison said:

One week almost of conditioning and bottles are hard as a brick…beer is carbonating well…I expect a two week taste will go well and may consider four weeks for the remainder.

I found I could have made a good fourteen bottles but only had twelve prepared. So the amount that was left I used to swish around and loosen up the trub.

and I actually bought and received the next recipe…Belgian Lager 🍺 

Yup, I learned the same lesson my first go 'round with the PET bottles. I ended up using 3-12oz longneck bottles in addition to the 12 PETs. As for the Belgian Lager, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I just had one yesterday that's at 10 weeks, and it just keeps getting better.

I highly recommend the 16 oz. (500 ml) glass bottles that come as swing-top bottles.  Throw away the swing-top covers and buy a bench capper* for crown caps.  The bottles I am describing are robust, thick and strong.  They are available in brown, blue or clear colors.  I recommend brown.  Be sure to purchase the Oxygen Barrier crown caps.  (As if you could find any other kind.)  They are available in many different colors to help you segregate batches.  This choice has served me very well.

*  The two-handed gripper capper will not work on these bottles.  Also, assure that the bottles you are considering do accept crown caps.  That may require a little research - but not much.

• Upvote 1

I've got some Grolsch stye bottles, and enough to bottle whatever I can get out my Droid. They worked well with other brewkits, and all I need is more o-rings....

Crown caps...too much what if with those....not interested...though I got a kit...the brew that failed...I will never know if the caps didn't seal or the brew was subpar....when I set up brewery, (as if) I can get a commercial capping machine!

Edited by John Garrison

14 hours ago, John Garrison said:

I've got some Grolsch stye bottles, and enough to bottle whatever I can get out my Droid. They worked well with other brewkits, and all I need is more o-rings....

Crown caps...too much what if with those....not interested...though I got a kit...the brew that failed...I will never know if the caps didn't seal or the brew was subpar....when I set up brewery, (as if) I can get a commercial capping machine!

I've never had any crown caps fail; however, I have about a 25-30% failure rate on swing-top seals.  Believe me, I wanted the swing-top seals to work.  This was such an elegant solution to bottling!  Alas, after many failures in spite of careful attention to the swing-top seal gaskets, I gave up on swing-top capping.  I have had 100% success with crown caps.

The Grolsch gaskets are supposed to be the best.  I hope they work better for you.

Happy brewing.  😀

22 hours ago, John Garrison said:

@Eltham Bauhausput me onto these

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/404169509010?hash=item5e1a614892:g:-8UAAOSwAENj8Ibr&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4CTj6sBtA9iLOX9wdxcHDqKGKZv5bxufgieXayKNbk%2Fc3vs%2FINqzciOagQjZRFP9o1O%2BSLKxbBRTp8LiMj7YFnXjOrF3TjW17yfZA7nA%2BTlhgsI9dZhs8rXO5NdMaFhFOcL4Lkps0gnrqpPisbEA3q6yEXwDHKj5KBARhHIalzAGanQHCljAzidwC7OtO34D%2FgH69e%2ByO0iNTwHZxo8pHKIFllSdDp4HWg5LqqHzoL3dG26IjBd0xG3Mo5TeHtoSO8wrnwkQ0qPiokgb4jLF%2FNRK2uvLowmYME5upp9lcTBJ|tkp%3ABFBM6Jbdv_Jh

I know this is ebay aus but must have something similar where you are. I changed all my Grolsch bottles over and have had no flat beers

Maybe try these guys ?

https://www.hobbyhomebrew.com/product/grolsch-gaskets-25-new-red-silicone-rubber-gasket-for-ezcap-type-beer-bottles/

Links are safe, my computer anti malware has narrowed down where I can go these days

Edited by Rob Courtney

It's been two weeks and beerdroid says they should be done conditioning...I am going to put two bottles in the fridge to arrest them where they are and tomorrow do some tasting...the rest will just sit, until I need to refrigerate another for consumption,  even if these are boffo. That will give me some idea of how they might develop. 

Taste test…hoppier than expected…almost IPA  I would say. No doubt you’ve heard what European countries are doing to the “Champagne of Beers” Well as an American we can use that term freely and this beer is champagne like… very fine bubbles and not the artificial carbonation you get in recarbonated pasteurized beers! Tastes somewhat like the first homebrew I did years ago. Can’t complain.