Yeast not being refrigerated

Hi all, 

After purchasing my beerdroid and brewprints in Nov '19, I'm yet to begin a brew as I had to complete some house reno's and then find the best location to place the beerdroid.

In any case, stupidly I didn't open up my 3 brewprints and refrigerate the yeast sachets for 2-3 months, so whilst they're now in the fridge, I'm wondering if the yeast will have survived or if I should just go out and buy some more to ensure a good brew. 

Anyone have any experience, advice or thoughts on a way forward?

3 hours ago, Rod said:

Hi all, 

After purchasing my beerdroid and brewprints in Nov '19, I'm yet to begin a brew as I had to complete some house reno's and then find the best location to place the beerdroid.

In any case, stupidly I didn't open up my 3 brewprints and refrigerate the yeast sachets for 2-3 months, so whilst they're now in the fridge, I'm wondering if the yeast will have survived or if I should just go out and buy some more to ensure a good brew. 

Anyone have any experience, advice or thoughts on a way forward?

Hey Rod, yeast needs to be stored in a cool dry place. Heat, or being exposed to air is its enemy. If the yeast packet hasn't been left in the open and in a brewprint box, for a couple of months, then I see no issue. I had my first couple of orders in brewprint boxes and didn't move the yeast and it was fine. The yeast itself should have a shelf life of 2 years, so a couple of months in a cardboard box, away from the heat should be fine.

Where are you located?

Thanks for the advice Rob. 

I'm in Sydney where the weather has had a few hot days of late but the brewprints have been stored in the underground garage so would be relatively stable in temperature.

I just don't want to waste a brew for the sake of a few bucks if the yeast is definitely going to be dead

9 minutes ago, Rod said:

Thanks for the advice Rob. 

I'm in Sydney where the weather has had a few hot days of late but the brewprints have been stored in the underground garage so would be relatively stable in temperature.

I just don't want to waste a brew for the sake of a few bucks if the yeast is definitely going to be dead

Hi Rod, Mark here. Yeast should be kept in the fridge but as Rob has said if stored in the box out of intense heat then all should be ok. I often wonder About the yeast treatment, I mean heaven only knows what the yeast goes through in the back of a postal van from Qld to Adelaide via Melbourne. The yeast quantity for the 10l brews is quite adequate and you may find the yeast is a little slower to activate but be ok for use. 
Most of the yeast dates are 2017 or 2018 with 2019 if lucky and I have no trouble with using them. I’d go ahead, can’t really see any problems.

What styles do you enjoy? Your going to love this brewing system.

Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark (and Rob again), you've convinced me to give the yeast a go :) I did think that my storage is probably not the worst it's been through however the length of time was driving the fear I guess

Regarding preferred beer styles, I'm definitely an IPA fan so I've bought the Highlands IPA, Pineapple Crush & Narci-Citrus to see which one I prefer. I've also bought the Coopers XPA as I love a good XPA, and 2 low carb beers (the Dry Lager & Bombshell Blonde varieties) so I can drink without the guilt with my ever expanding girth.

No I just need to figure out how to connect my app to the droid (the droid connected to the wifi without issue) but I've not had enough time to play with it yet

11 minutes ago, Rod said:

Thanks Mark (and Rob again), you've convinced me to give the yeast a go :) I did think that my storage is probably not the worst it's been through however the length of time was driving the fear I guess

Regarding preferred beer styles, I'm definitely an IPA fan so I've bought the Highlands IPA, Pineapple Crush & Narci-Citrus to see which one I prefer. I've also bought the Coopers XPA as I love a good XPA, and 2 low carb beers (the Dry Lager & Bombshell Blonde varieties) so I can drink without the guilt with my ever expanding girth.

No I just need to figure out how to connect my app to the droid (the droid connected to the wifi without issue) but I've not had enough time to play with it yet

The Coopers XPA is a fine drop and you’ll definitely enjoy the the Highlands. I wasn’t really a true lager drinker however you must try the Belgian Lager  and the Birra Italiano. Both smooth summer drinkers.

Rod, there is no such thing as “expanding girth” or “guilt” there of. It’s a medical condition called “chest dropsie”. This is where the muscular chest and six packs have suddenly dropped to where your gut is. So in effect you have a muscular stomach issue. 🤔🤭😅

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 05/02/2020 at 8:18 AM, Rod said:

Rod did you give the Highlands IPA a go? Opinion?

Thanks Mark

• 9 months later...

Hey guys, sorry to reply to an old topic, but I did much the same.

So, would a yeast that's been sitting in storage (not fridge) possibly take longer to ferment? I'm up to 8 days now on my Celebration Ale, average time to ferment was apparently 5-7, so wondering if I need to do the SG test to see if it has completed and not told me, or if it is actually still going...

12 minutes ago, Gav Boyce said:

Hey guys, sorry to reply to an old topic, but I did much the same.

So, would a yeast that's been sitting in storage (not fridge) possibly take longer to ferment? I'm up to 8 days now on my Celebration Ale, average time to ferment was apparently 5-7, so wondering if I need to do the SG test to see if it has completed and not told me, or if it is actually still going...

Hi Gav, I say it’s still going. Rises and cooling on the App temp graph should indicate that. The fermentation stipulated in the recipe info is only a guide so 8 days to a recommended 5-7 is not really an issue.

Yeast is brilliant, to refrigerate is to basically put it to sleep. If not placed in the fridge and left out it does tend to “eat itself” slowly thus not as robust when added to the brew so will take a bit longer for fermentation completion.

35 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hi Gav, I say it’s still going. Rises and cooling on the App temp graph should indicate that. The fermentation stipulated in the recipe info is only a guide so 8 days to a recommended 5-7 is not really an issue.

Yeast is brilliant, to refrigerate is to basically put it to sleep. If not placed in the fridge and left out it does tend to “eat itself” slowly thus not as robust when added to the brew so will take a bit longer for fermentation completion.

Bewdy. Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t consider myself any sort of yeast expert but I have had sourdough starters on and off (I know it’s not exactly the same as brewers yeast) and store bought bread yeasts in hot cupboards for ages in summer heat and haven’t yet had a yeast not wake up for bread making.   

I can’t imagine that your yeast has expired.   

I suppose if you have a local brew shop rather than waste a brewprint on potential dud yeast you could pick up some new stuff fresh and or order new yeasts alone from Brewart directly.  

if you’re unsure I imagine you could just take the brewprint yeast you’re most worried about, and put it in room temperature or slightly warmer water (not hot to the touch) and add some malt and dextrose and just see if it starts bubbling and frothing( propagating)?   If it does it’s ready to chuck in with the brewprint. Obviously maintain sanitised conditions and cover to prevent wild yeasts from getting into the starter...

my very novice two cents...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, J P said:

I don’t consider myself any sort of yeast expert but I have had sourdough starters on and off (I know it’s not exactly the same as brewers yeast) and store bought bread yeasts in hot cupboards for ages in summer heat and haven’t yet had a yeast not wake up for bread making.   

I can’t imagine that your yeast has expired.   

I suppose if you have a local brew shop rather than waste a brewprint on potential dud yeast you could pick up some new stuff fresh and or order new yeasts alone from Brewart directly.  

if you’re unsure I imagine you could just take the brewprint yeast you’re most worried about, and put it in room temperature or slightly warmer water (not hot to the touch) and add some malt and dextrose and just see if it starts bubbling and frothing( propagating)?   If it does it’s ready to chuck in with the brewprint. Obviously maintain sanitised conditions and cover to prevent wild yeasts from getting into the starter...

my very novice two cents...

Correct J P, and preparing a yeast starter is a good idea for older yeast particularly that which has not be stored in the fridge.

• Upvote 1