Hey Guys,

So stepping away from primers and will go to Dextrose for my secondary fermentation.  Got a measure too which I am a little confused to the amounts for it , just seeing if anyone has used this or if anyone has a sure fire of the amounts to use. Would rather not make bottle bombs because I put too much sugar in lol . Using 750ml swing tops, and would probably use it for the kegs too ( recommended?) 

20200222_144911.jpg

10 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

I thought with your device it was a stubbie for the smaller size and a longneck with the lager size.  I think 4-5 grams of sugar should do a longneck

Spot on, small stubbie, large longneck however I only know that for sugar. As dextrose is a powder will it be too much? Yes the same per google check.

Edited by Barrelboy

So bottled half my Weissbier and a Keg too . Added what I am guessing is 30g of dextrose to the keg . Measure what the large scoop holds and its 5g by my scales. So i added 6 scoops of Dextrose. Also want to add that maybe I did the addition if dextrose wrong . Added it after the beer was in the bottles. First bottle became a volcano 🤣🤣🤣 , learnt and quickly closed every bottle after . Any tricks to this ? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Paul84 said:

So bottled half my Weissbier and a Keg too . Added what I am guessing is 30g of dextrose to the keg . Measure what the large scoop holds and its 5g by my scales. So i added 6 scoops of Dextrose. Also want to add that maybe I did the addition if dextrose wrong . Added it after the beer was in the bottles. First bottle became a volcano 🤣🤣🤣 , learnt and quickly closed every bottle after . Any tricks to this ? 

Been doing between 30-33 gms with the keg. I still use carb drops for bottles though

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

thinking of making the move to dextrose based on cost savings for a bulk order.

anyone advise AGAINST dextrose powder 30g per 5L keg in lieu of priming block?

or any other tips?

actually i think those blocks are so super convenient, but adding up costs its gonna be a savings of over $50 for an annual bulk order.   brings out my inner Polish heritage... LOL

4 hours ago, J P said:

thinking of making the move to dextrose based on cost savings for a bulk order.

anyone advise AGAINST dextrose powder 30g per 5L keg in lieu of priming block?

or any other tips?

actually i think those blocks are so super convenient, but adding up costs its gonna be a savings of over $50 for an annual bulk order.   brings out my inner Polish heritage... LOL

I'd advise against it.

I did it for the exact same reasons you have outlined and I just never felt my beer was as carbonated as I wanted it. I think @Dustin Frothman put it succinctly when he said that when he got into Brewart, the aim wasn't to make beer as cheaply as he could but to make the best beer that he could...I mean, obviously I wrote it far better than he did but it was the gist of what he was saying...and it makes perfect sense.

In my next order, I am going to bust out a few kegs again and start using my Brewflow but when I do, I am going to use the priming block

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I will take that sage advice said twice by two kick a$$ brewers!   Couldn’t agree more with quality >>> cost.   I wouldn’t want to cut corners on carbonation and certainly wouldn’t want to over or under prime.   Added convenience is not insignificant either.   

cheers legends,

JP

• Upvote 1

Ahem.    I have 3 droids now.    😎

so yeah.  I don’t notice much of anything else nowadays.   🤓

cheers I will stick to the blocks.  

Something satisfying about the “plunk”noise they make when you drop them in the kegs.  

As if to say, I’ll catch you in a few weeks as +0.5% ABV

• Like 2