Beer Glass Storage and Cleaning

I generally run with 6 x 570ml dimple mugs, 3 x 425 & 4 x 450ml traditional pint glasses (425ml South Australian pint) and 2 x 750ml lager/Pilsner glasses (great for when you can’t be buggered going to the fridge all the time). Luckily I can store these in the freezer as I always pour my beer cold. 
Other than when brand new (clean with sodium percarbonate) I only rinse the glasses with water (and water only) rinsing always straight after consumption so beer lacing doesn’t dry on the glass. This has worked well for years and photos of my brews will support good head retention and lacing.

Every now and again (probably monthly I clean each glass with water and these glass brushes, excellent.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/263045464574

How do you treat yours.

• 5 months later...
25 minutes ago, Damian Ryan said:

I have some glasses that lack vigor and dont hold a good head.

Was thinking of using some gumption paste on them 

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/31783/gumption-paste-multi-purpose-cleanser

Or do you think soaking in the percarbonate for a few days would do the trick?

Haven’t used the Gumption and I note the promo didn’t mention glass. I don’t reckon you can go pass the sodium percarbonate. Just leave overnight, a good rinse out with hot water and away you go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 24/04/2020 at 8:38 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

I generally run with 6 x 570ml dimple mugs, 3 x 425 & 4 x 450ml traditional pint glasses (425ml South Australian pint) and 2 x 750ml lager/Pilsner glasses (great for when you can’t be buggered going to the fridge all the time). Luckily I can store these in the freezer as I always pour my beer cold. 
Other than when brand new (clean with sodium percarbonate) I only rinse the glasses with water (and water only) rinsing always straight after consumption so beer lacing doesn’t dry on the glass. This has worked well for years and photos of my brews will support good head retention and lacing.

Every now and again (probably monthly I clean each glass with water and these glass brushes, excellent.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/263045464574

How do you treat yours.

I was suffering from poor head retention on all my brews until I decided to start afresh by thoroughly cleaning them all. Placed small amount of Sodium Perc in each glass, fill with warm to hot water and wait for 10 minutes, Use a clean bottle brush  and thoroughly clean the inside of each glass. Good rinse with warm water and drain. Inspect for any hazy spots on inside of glass and if found, repeat bottle brush procedure followed by a decent rinse.

Now I am now getting excellent and lasting head retention with no bubbles clinging to the inside wall of the glasses (a sign that the glasses are clean). Now after each use, I give the glasses a good hot rinse and shake after each use and then drain on a dish rack. I will give them the full cleaning treatment every couple of months, depending on usage and appearance, to keep them in tip top shape. It really does make a HUGE difference to the whole experience.

• Like 2

My partner thought I was anal by cleaning all my precious beer glasses at 9.00pm on the Queens Birthday but hey. we are in Melbourne and under lockdown again (4th time) so strange behaviour is now the norm here. She changed her tuned when I poured a 9 week old Irish Red Ale into my newly cleaned Guinness glass and its head stayed there until the bottom of the glass was reached. That never happened before with any of my brews. It just goes to show you can learn something positive everyday in this game.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

My partner thought I was anal by cleaning all my precious beer glasses at 9.00pm on the Queens Birthday but hey. we are in Melbourne and under lockdown again (4th time) so strange behaviour is now the norm here. She changed her tuned when I poured a 9 week old Irish Red Ale into my newly cleaned Guinness glass and its head stayed there until the bottom of the glass was reached. That never happened before with any of my brews. It just goes to show you can learn something positive everyday in this game.

I've been a bit lazy of late and have been putting my Headmaster "pub" glasses through the dishwasher. Whilst they are designed for this it's the rinse aid that kills the head in your beers and your local pub will usually just run very hot water through their glasses dishwasher.

You've inspired me to give both them and the good glasses a decent clean.

Thanks.

• Like 1