Dry July

Paul84

Hey guys ,

Probably the wrong forum for this but i am doing Dry July this year . One of my friends just found out he had Hodgkins Lymphoma , so i feel like a month off the booze to support a good cause is worth it. 

Anyways , if you so feel like adding some comfort to my pain the link is down below 

http://www.dryjuly.com/users/paul-adams

P.S - first and likely last time I hold myself back in such a manner 

• Upvote 1

Yeah one good thing is i get to stockpile a few beers. Yeah Mick is a good mate and its a rough trot for a young fella . They outlook is good from what has been said. This is a team effort between all our friends group and it goes to the bigger picture then just my social circle . Thank you for offering to throw in . Was just trying to spread my wings far 🤘🤘🤘

I have a mate that had Hodgkins Lymphoma and he's been in remission for close to 5 years now. It's definitely one of the better ones to get.

Happy to help out. Sadly there's not many out there that haven't been affected by cancer in some way or another. Me included. Raising some cash is a good thing.

Dunno how you'll cope with a month off the beers working in your industry though! 🥴

• Upvote 2

If @Barrelboy sells his beard for Merkins ill do the same. No one wants a ginger Merkin though 😂😂😂 .

Thank you mate , a worthy cause and very appreciated, might kill me getting a little bit of blood back in my alcohol stream. 

A friends has challenged me to 6 weeks so see if he comes through with the goods and it might make for longer sabbatical . 

• Haha 1

Just now, Paul84 said:

If @Barrelboy sells his beard for Merkins ill do the same. No one wants a ginger Merkin though 😂😂😂 .

Thank you mate , a worthy cause and very appreciated, might kill me getting a little bit of blood back in my alcohol stream. 

A friends has challenged me to 6 weeks so see if he comes through with the goods and it might make for longer sabbatical . 

If it makes you feel better, I have done dry July too, not for a special cause, more to shut Mrs C up about my drinking.

It didn't work

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

I don't know Paul, with the amount of fetish stuff on the net, Ginger merkins* could be the next big thing.

*I can't be the only one laughing at the thought of Mark looking up "Merkins" on the internet

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I have a mate that had Hodgkins Lymphoma and he's been in remission for close to 5 years now. It's definitely one of the better ones to get.

Happy to help out. Sadly there's not many out there that haven't been affected by cancer in some way or another. Me included. Raising some cash is a good thing.

Dunno how you'll cope with a month off the beers working in your industry though! 🥴

Agreed 100% , its hard and sad that so many people are affected by cancer , its not the first person i have know to have it but first time i have thrown my hat in the ring to put towards doing something good . Usually i just give up my Carton for the week to donate to the cause 🤘

Will be a few quiet shift changes but i can go off the booze for a few weeks . And agreed Rob this is for a few reasons . 1 for Mick , 2 to show i can do it and 3 to show Mrs A i can do it too 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

I don't know Paul, with the amount of fetish stuff on the net, Ginger merkins* could be the next big thing.

*I can't be the only one laughing at the thought of Mark looking up "Merkins" on the internet

Yeah to be fair , the thought of Mark googling this has given me a chuckle 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now with a few in me now (Camilla’s Folly PA) I question the point of 1 month, no drink, the suffering, the dry out liver damage (😊) etc. See I do weekly no drink, I don’t drink on Tuesday, Thursday and yes  Saturday. Admittedly Sunday, Wednesday and Friday can get a “bashing” however Monday could be none, some or a few. ( I like the choice).
I’m m not having a go at  the 1 month non drinking approach, but why suffer for so long? I only suffer a day here and there😅

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Now with a few in me now (Camilla’s Folly PA) I question the point of 1 month, no drink, the suffering, the dry out liver damage (😊) etc. See I do weekly no drink, I don’t drink on Tuesday, Thursday and yes  Saturday. Admittedly Sunday, Wednesday and Friday can get a “bashing” however Monday could be none, some or a few. ( I like the choice).
I’m m not having a go at  the 1 month non drinking approach, but why suffer for so long? I only suffer a day here and there😅

Yeah I have tried to cut back to Fridays and Saturdays for a while...haven't succeeded but I have tried...and that's the biggest part

To be honest a Fri/sat only is very hard to do when your not having a drop sun,mon,tues,wed,thurs. That’s five days! It generally won’t work. Have the Fri and Sat, rest Sun, beer Monday , rest Tuesday , beer Wednesday, rest Thursday  and away you go. Note:- drinking days don’t have to be “tons” but can happen.🤪

21 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

To be honest a Fri/sat only is very hard to do when your not having a drop sun,mon,tues,wed,thurs. That’s five days! It generally won’t work. Have the Fri and Sat, rest Sun, beer Monday , rest Tuesday , beer Wednesday, rest Thursday  and away you go. Note:- drinking days don’t have to be “tons” but can happen.🤪

The downturn in my work this year and football 4 days a week is ruining me at the moment and I love it. 😁

• Haha 1

Hey Guys , 

Sorry been a little busy the last few days. Had my niece up for school holidays and my daughter's 5th birthday . All days that have tested my resolve with dry july . I agree with you a month off seems a silly proposition , this week i have sat at a few pubs for a lemonade with my dinner. And like all of you fine gents above , i generally find not drinking on shift easy , its my time off when i dont have to Adult i like to indulge with a few bevvies. Got a few nice beers tucked away for the start of August that have nicely aged . Will put a new brew on this week as well.

Over the half way mark though 🤘🤘🤘

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a workmate who does a month dry every year as a "self improvement"  thing . Its always February 🤣 . Thats ok , he last few days have been more of a challenge because its days off , but i have a bbq Saturday night so will have to have a few quiet beers to celebrate making the month. Thing i have missed most coming off shift Tuesday Mornings is my Shower Beer 😭

1 hour ago, Paul84 said:

I have a workmate who does a month dry every year as a "self improvement"  thing . Its always February 🤣 . Thats ok , he last few days have been more of a challenge because its days off , but i have a bbq Saturday night so will have to have a few quiet beers to celebrate making the month. Thing i have missed most coming off shift Tuesday Mornings is my Shower Beer 😭

“ Self Improvement “ in February, in summer??? Sounds like a downhill movement if you ask me 😀 I think people do the February as it’s only 28 days but a couple of days extra in winter is more the go.

Beer in the shower, great stuff. You could set the Beerflo in there.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

“ Self Improvement “ in February, in summer??? Sounds like a downhill movement if you ask me 😀 I think people do the February as it’s only 28 days but a couple of days extra in winter is more the go.

Beer in the shower, great stuff. You could set the Beerflo in there.

Actually, why the hell do we bother with 28 days in February, should be 31...extend summer, make June or July 28 days...screw winter.

Of course, if it is a leap year February will just have to have 32 days

• Upvote 2