Brewing Mistakes

Captain 3 Droids

He’s an interesting one that actually turns out ok.

Wanted to brew Little Creatures Bright Ale 3 x E1, E5, X2, Y1 yeast, 2 x H6 (Galaxy) dry hop, Ale Mode.

However grabbed and use an E2 instead of the X2 - easy done I say. This with dry hop change to H1 (Amarillo) is now the West Coast Pale Ale recipe, which I love and just kegged. 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

He’s an interesting one that actually turns out ok.

Wanted to brew Little Creatures Bright Ale 3 x E1, E5, X2, Y1 yeast, 2 x H6 (Galaxy) dry hop, Ale Mode.

However grabbed and use an E2 instead of the X2 - easy done I say. This with dry hop change to H1 (Amarillo) is now the West Coast Pale Ale recipe, which I love and just kegged. 😂

Nicely played.

I create a checklist and triple check I have the correct packets before I start a brew.

I guess all that pedantry I learn at work is useful for something. 🥴

• Upvote 1

Seriously but, I have a Lions City Lager that I decided not to put an X5 in...but didn't replace it with anything so it is like a Birra tryhard with Hallertau. I can't make up my mind whether I like it or not, or whether it needed an X1 to replace the X5. I mean it is still nice to drink, just not quite what you'd hope for from a Brewart beer

• 3 months later...

I’ve done similar again and need to write down recipe ingredients in a different manner.

Now an E2, E5, X3........ does not mean an E2 and 3 x E5!  With a Y8 yeast it going to be an interesting “lager” as nothing really matches it particularly with the yeast. Anyway I’m going to dry hop it now with mosaic and citra. Interesting times ahead. 😅

• 3 months later...

Went to brew an original pilsner, Mrs C phoned me twice whilst I was getting it ready...FFS...and neither of those phone calls were needed, accidentally put 2 E1s intead of 1 and then left it at 1 E5 instead of 2 with an X1. I did see if I could save it to recipe but that left me with a choice of Stars and Stripes or US Chiller...so I thought I might go the mistake route.

As I have a set amount of ingredients I will change one of my Czech Pilsners to 2E1 and 2E5 to even it up. Of course, it gives a chance to muck around with the hops a bit, may do the Original with Lemon Hops and Hallertau.

8 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Went to brew an original pilsner, Mrs C phoned me twice whilst I was getting it ready...FFS...and neither of those phone calls were needed, accidentally put 2 E1s intead of 1 and then left it at 1 E5 instead of 2 with an X1. I did see if I could save it to recipe but that left me with a choice of Stars and Stripes or US Chiller...so I thought I might go the mistake route.

As I have a set amount of ingredients I will change one of my Czech Pilsners to 2E1 and 2E5 to even it up. Of course, it gives a chance to muck around with the hops a bit, may do the Original with Lemon Hops and Hallertau.

If as I read it you ended up doing 2 x E1, 1 x E5 and an X1 you have Coopers Pale Ale. It will be a lager yeast instead of ale but hey should be ok?

1 minute ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

If as I read it you ended up doing 2 x E1, 1 x E5 and an X1 you have Coopers Pale Ale. It will be a lager yeast instead of ale but hey should be ok?

Yeah I did look at that and was happy but annoyed that the yeast was already in that I couldn't just make a Pale but I know the flavours should be fine and a good measure of hops should be nice, at least it wasn't going to be a Chiller :)

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

I am two days into my West Coast Pale Ale and have just realised I used Y2 instead of Y1 yeast. Will this make much of a difference to the colour & flavour characteristics?

With the West Coast recipe I would say there will not be great differences as to colour and flavour. The Y1 is fairly neutral and the Y2 suits the more  heavily bitter beers. Difference perhaps more cloudiness, slightly stronger in flavour however will still be a decent beer.

Let us know your tasting etc results.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Further to my previous post, I did see some overflow today from the Droid probably due to using the wrong yeast. I now have a Y1 in my yet to be brewed Four Leaf Stout instead of a Y2. Should I use the Y1 in the Stout or should I ordered the Y2 for inclusion in that brew?

Now you could certainly use the Y1, it’s an ale yeast and people have used it with stouts eg milk and oatmeal however the Four Leaf is a strong brew and I would wait until I had some Y2 or obtain a suitable yeast from a brew shop.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Further to my previous post, I did see some overflow today from the Droid probably due to using the wrong yeast. I now have a Y1 in my yet to be brewed Four Leaf Stout instead of a Y2. Should I use the Y1 in the Stout or should I ordered the Y2 for inclusion in that brew?

I just had a look at the Coopers Special Old Stout (brewprint) and it uses Y1 so go for it!,

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe not so the brewing as more the kegging but just went to sample the Pale Ale before kegging, switched the tap off and it kept coming out. I had not assembled the top of the tap back properly ( thought I had but obviously not). Guessing about 2 litres of beer on the ground before I could connect the tap well enough to stop the flow. Did try the beer and it seemed fine and there appeared to be no infection so it must have been air tight til I pushed the tap.

Still, was going to do a video on kegging, not exactly full of confidence at present...FML

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

Maybe not so the brewing as more the kegging but just went to sample the Pale Ale before kegging, switched the tap off and it kept coming out. I had not assembled the top of the tap back properly ( thought I had but obviously not). Guessing about 2 litres of beer on the ground before I could connect the tap well enough to stop the flow. Did try the beer and it seemed fine and there appeared to be no infection so it must have been air tight til I pushed the tap.

Still, was going to do a video on kegging, not exactly full of confidence at present...FML

When you say that you “tried the beer” I’m assuming that you sucked it up off the floor with a straw?

Bugger!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, long team reader of this thread, first time poster

Template | Chuck E. Cheese Stare | Know Your Meme

so, I was making an Aussie Premium and this time, I think I have done a half decent mistake. It was time for hops to be added and I was going to put in Hersbrucker with Tettanger and Spalt and when I was putting together the Tettanger and Spalt I thought "did I just put Saaz in"?

The anwer was of course...yes but at least it was a bunch of German hops together with a lager, tatsed alright when i bottled it tonight

• Haha 3

I put a nicely matured keg (10 weeks) of the Bohemian Lager into the Brewflo last Sat in preparation for the footy.

Freshly deep cleaned and chilled glasses at the ready.

Poured two pints. Flat. Not a single bubble.

Dunno how but reckon I didn’t put the primer brick in. I did keg two brews that day. Perhaps I got distracted.

I opened the keg following day and dropped some primer in before putting it back on the shelf for a few weeks. 

Here’s hoping whatever residual yeast there still is wakes up and decides it’s hungry.

😪

• Upvote 2

OK so I don't know why this is happening but the last 2 times I have made Lawnmower, the Galaxy hops has leaked from the Hops ball. It was a different ball but the same type, I have used these hops balls for other brews with the same amount of hops, have made them with more hops so it isn't like it selled and opened it but maybe, I have not used them with Galaxy hops.

I didn't pay enough attention the first time but the ball was definitely closed. The obvious solution to me is to use a different hop ball ( as i have made this brew many times without this happening but why would it happen in the first place?

6 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

OK so I don't know why this is happening but the last 2 times I have made Lawnmower, the Galaxy hops has leaked from the Hops ball. It was a different ball but the same type, I have used these hops balls for other brews with the same amount of hops, have made them with more hops so it isn't like it selled and opened it but maybe, I have not used them with Galaxy hops.

I didn't pay enough attention the first time but the ball was definitely closed. The obvious solution to me is to use a different hop ball ( as i have made this brew many times without this happening but why would it happen in the first place?

Your right it shouldn’t open unless  the closing latch is a sloppy fit. If so squeeze  it a bit tighter with pliers.

• 2 months later...
On 08/09/2021 at 7:57 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Hey guys, long team reader of this thread, first time poster

Template | Chuck E. Cheese Stare | Know Your Meme

so, I was making an Aussie Premium and this time, I think I have done a half decent mistake. It was time for hops to be added and I was going to put in Hersbrucker with Tettanger and Spalt and when I was putting together the Tettanger and Spalt I thought "did I just put Saaz in"?

The anwer was of course...yes but at least it was a bunch of German hops together with a lager, tatsed alright when i bottled it tonight

This has turned out very well BTW