Brewing Mistakes

Captain 3 Droids

On 16/09/2021 at 5:15 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Your right it shouldn’t open unless  the closing latch is a sloppy fit. If so squeeze  it a bit tighter with pliers.

So I just think it is the design of these bigger hop balls, it worked well for a few more times using pliers and then just didn't. Am going to place an order for Black Friday and think I'll just get a hops filter and be done with it. The smaller hops balls work fine, so can always use those but for the hassle may just invest in the filter.

For those that use it, does it take care of sediment as well?

34 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

For those that use it, does it take care of sediment as well?

Yes but I'd highly recommend replacing the standard filter with these; I like the blue one:

https://www.brewcraft.com.au/product/bouncer-classic-replacement-screen-beer-filter#brewcraft

And use the cold crash function on the Droid. It's a game changer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/11/2021 at 10:07 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

Yes but I'd highly recommend replacing the standard filter with these; I like the blue one:

https://www.brewcraft.com.au/product/bouncer-classic-replacement-screen-beer-filter#brewcraft

And use the cold crash function on the Droid. It's a game changer.

So when I went online to buy this, it had postage of $13 which I thought was a touch harsh, so I went and saw my brewshop guys and said "you order from Brewcarft right, get me this" and he did and it cost me 2 bucks in a mark up...nice. Will be keen to use this wth the Duetsch brew

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

So when I went online to buy this, it had postage of $13 which I thought was a touch harsh, so I went and saw my brewshop guys and said "you order from Brewcarft right, get me this" and he did and it cost me 2 bucks in a mark up...nice. Will be keen to use this wth the Duetsch brew

Brewcraft are an SA business and I’m happy to support them but they are horrendously expensive, sometimes to the point of just taking the piss.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Brewcraft are an SA business and I’m happy to support them but they are horrendously expensive, sometimes to the point of just taking the piss.

There pricing is absolutely ridiculous and they won’t stock Coopers. Sadly it has been vastly cheaper to purchase from interstate. BeerBelly however provide a good service/cost and postage rates

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Brewshop guy gave me grief yesterday about how expensive it was for two little pieced of mesh, he who pitches the 1k fridge with beer taps on it every time I walk in

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

Brewshop guy gave me grief yesterday about how expensive it was for two little pieced of mesh, he who pitches the 1k fridge with beer taps on it every time I walk in

That item is expensive because it’s made in the U.S.

I’m sure there’s a cheaper Chinese equivalent available somewhere, or if there isn’t then there will be soon enough.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

OK, so it's me again.

Put a Bohemian down but didn't press start brew. I put the ingredients in the droid at 7pm and probably noiticed at 1pm the next day, so pressed start brew. My question is, would the droid showing a temp of 28 be enough to kill the lager yeast? Given it is only one day and six hours into the brew should I give it another day to see whether it detects fermentation.

This appears different from my last effort for fermentation not detected as this brew is golden through the viewing window, where my disaster brew was much darker.

7 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

OK, so it's me again.

Put a Bohemian down but didn't press start brew. I put the ingredients in the droid at 7pm and probably noiticed at 1pm the next day, so pressed start brew. My question is, would the droid showing a temp of 28 be enough to kill the lager yeast? Given it is only one day and six hours into the brew should I give it another day to see whether it detects fermentation.

This appears different from my last effort for fermentation not detected as this brew is golden through the viewing window, where my disaster brew was much darker.

No won’t kill he yeast and will have had some protection from the ingredients sitting on top of it. I would say you haven’t done any real damage and just let things progress.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

I can't see any through the looking glass, lifted the lid and it looked like bubbles on the surface so I really expected it to turn over today

Well the bubbles are a good sign, I wonder because you lifted the lid if this may delay fermentation detection due to it relying in part to temperature variations.

4 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Well the bubbles are a good sign, I wonder because you lifted the lid if this may delay fermentation detection due to it relying in part to temperature variations.

well it not saying "fermentation not detected" is a start. I did notice that my other droids light doesn't work, no wonder the brew looked so dark. It isn't a surprise though, I must have pushed that light every hour in my first tem brews

On 2/2/2022 at 8:43 PM, Rob Courtney said:

well it not saying "fermentation not detected" is a start. I did notice that my other droids light doesn't work, no wonder the brew looked so dark. It isn't a surprise though, I must have pushed that light every hour in my first tem brews

Crap, fermentation not detected 

1 minute ago, Rob Courtney said:

Don’t know whether to throw a yeast in and start again or just chuck it and start again. The worst time Of summer  to  start not brewing and falling behind schedule 

The real issue is:- is it that the Droid has not detected fermentation however fermentation has/is occurring? I thing you need to establish that, a hydrometer would help. (I note you did see bubbles on the surface, any krausen ring?

If fermentation hasn’t happened then unless there is some indication of infection on the surface I’d restart the program and pitch yeast again.

11 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

no fermentation?

The photo has turn d up. Wasn’t there before.

Now fermentation is taken place, krausen ring and there is still active bubbles. So proceed with the brew, it’s looking good. Now my last 3 Bohemian Lager’s have been 8, 8, and 9 days to EOF. Work on 9 and all should be ok.

5 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

The photo has turn d up. Wasn’t there before.

Now fermentation is taken place, krausen ring and there is still active bubbles. So proceed with the brew, it’s looking good. Now my last 3 Bohemian Lager’s have been 8, 8, and 9 days to EOF. Work on 9 and all should be ok.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

15 days with all the lid opening :)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

15 days with all the lid opening :)

Having another look at the photo, since it’s 15 days  I’d bottle or keg now and the webbing on the side looks like the start of perlite however no issue unless you leave the brew for a few days longer, other than that, it looks good.

1 minute ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Having another look at the photo, since it’s 15 days  I’d bottle or keg now and the webbing on the side looks like the start of perlite however no issue unless you leave the brew for a few days longer, other than that, it looks good.

No No, it's on day 5, I'm just suggesting day 15 for EOF because of the lid openings