The Point IPA

Happy New Beer everyone. 🥴

So instead of starting the year with a hangover I got going this morning on kegging the last brew of 2020 and putting down the first of the new year.

The Point IPA has a fairly standard list of ingredients for a Brewart IPA and is dry hopped with 25g each of Simcoe and Amarillo.

IMO 5g/L is probably not quite enough hops for an IPA so I'll probably double that (as the recommended saturation point of 8.5g/L is too painful to measure) and see how this one goes.

I'm finding most of the IPAs are at their best after around 8 weeks of secondary.

🍻

• Upvote 1

Be keen to hear how this one turns out, Dustin. Been thinking about doing it for a while now. Yep for a Ballist Point clone, will need to be double hopped. Although I have kick back on the hops lately. The Custom Hazy IPA I'm bottling Saturday is only 50grams. Must be getting soft. Definitely agree 8 weeks min secondary for IPA's. 

Edited by Robert Pretty
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

IMG_2956.thumb.jpg.8826ee6c981ef4fb961a5df63f0dc432.jpg

Well here 'tis. It was a bit heady so I let it settle before taking a photo. The first pint is always a bit heady from the Brewflo, especially when you use a lot of hops and unlike the Facebook whingers it really doesn't bother me. I reckon they've never seen a keg changed at the pub.

I've had a bit of a long week at work so was keen to drink this one and didn't bother with a hero pour and glamour shot. It looks good enough and we're all friends here.

It's clear and clean. It's an IPA. It tastes like the Ballast Point IPA. It's hoppy and bitter. 

I'm not quite sure what I think yet. This is at 6 weeks secondary. Perhaps it needs a bit more. It's good, big bubbles, perfect head retention and the finish is almost dry(ish); but I recall the Ballast Point beer being like that. Maybe I like my IPAs a bit juicier.

Might do a @Rob Courtney and drink 4 or 5 and then let you know what I really think around 1am ... 😝

Happy Friday  everyone.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

IMG_2956.thumb.jpg.8826ee6c981ef4fb961a5df63f0dc432.jpg

Well here 'tis. It was a bit heady so I let it settle before taking a photo. The first pint is always a bit heady from the Brewflo, especially when you use a lot of hops and unlike the Facebook whingers it really doesn't bother me. I reckon they've never seen a keg changed at the pub.

I've had a bit of a long week at work so was keen to drink this one and didn't bother with a hero pour and glamour shot. It looks good enough and we're all friends here.

It's clear and clean. It's an IPA. It tastes like the Ballast Point IPA. It's hoppy and bitter. 

I'm not quite sure what I think yet. This is at 6 weeks secondary. Perhaps it needs a bit more. It's good, big bubbles, perfect head retention and the finish is almost dry(ish); but I recall the Ballast Point beer being like that. Maybe I like my IPAs a bit juicier.

Might do a @Rob Courtney and drink 4 or 5 and then let you know what I really think around 1am ... 😝

Happy Friday  everyone.

If you get it looking like that then there is nothing to complain about, and I love “lacing”

• Upvote 1

On 27/02/2021 at 12:38 PM, Robert Pretty said:

Looks great to me Dustin. Nice and clear. Great colour. Ballast Points are quite bitter. Which I like. I would probably leave it another few weeks. Finding around 8 weeks+ is the sweet spot for IPA's. How's it compare to the mountain Range IPA. Will have to do this one. 

Thanks Robert.

For a first time brew I usually like to try one keg at 6 weeks and the other at 8 so I'll try the next at 8 weeks or greater and take note.

The Mountain Range is possibly my favourite Brewart IPA so far. The second keg has just reached 8 weeks so I'm looking forward to getting into that one soon. My wife says it's her favourite of the IPAs which is dangerous so it's unlikely to last long.

• 1 month later...

Cracked the second keg at 11 weeks secondary. The bitterness has settled down but overall the flavour profile is probably not quite to my liking. A bit too dry with a short finish.

Perhaps I over-conditioned this one. I’m not sure. There’s nothing wrong with it, I’m just being overly critical but I probably won’t rush to brew it again.

Not unless I end up with 3 Droids like some of you ...

• 7 months later...

@Dustin Frothman on your advice, went with this BrewPrint, The Point IPA, for my 2nd brew and it's now in Wazza's Droid.

This really appeals as from what I've read, this is a Ballast Point clone... but the question is, which Ballast Point beer? I assume its Sculpin because that's the most common Ballast Point IPA found here in Aus.

From the descriptions, it sounds very much like an excellent example of a West Coast IPA, so bitter hop forward flavour, less fruity sweetness which I really enjoy.

So, the question is, what tweaks will I make or have I made...

Well, I decided to go IIPA and added a 2nd 250g of Dextrose therefore aiming at 8.5% ABV.

I'll also follow @Dustin Frothmanand double the hops to 50g each of Simcoe and Amarillo at dry hopping.

Go big or go home 😎😎

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

@Dustin Frothman on your advice, went with this BrewPrint, The Point IPA, for my 2nd brew and it's now in Wazza's Droid.

This really appeals as from what I've read, this is a Ballast Point clone... but the question is, which Ballast Point beer? I assume its Sculpin because that's the most common Ballast Point IPA found here in Aus.

From the descriptions, it sounds very much like an excellent example of a West Coast IPA, so bitter hop forward flavour, less fruity sweetness which I really enjoy.

So, the question is, what tweaks will I make or have I made...

Well, I decided to go IIPA and added a 2nd 250g of Dextrose therefore aiming at 8.5% ABV.

I'll also follow @Dustin Frothmanand double the hops to 50g each of Simcoe and Amarillo at dry hopping.

Go big or go home 😎😎

Hey @Wazza_wantsbeernice choice. I've only brewed this once and wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I've had the Sculpin a few times.

I'll probably try this one again soon. Up to 100g of hops should work well.

Let me know what you think when it it comes time to drink it.

• Upvote 1

On the second 24 hrs of brewing The Point, had my first overflow.

Woke up this morning and found a puddle of froth and beer. Damn it does smell good.

Was kinda expecting this to happen and think the likely cause is adding the 2nd 250g of Dextrose (X5) resulting in some very vigorous fermentation.

As I said above, the reasoning for the extra dextrose is that I am going for a IIPA with an 8.5% ABV target.

It all seems to have settled down now but will keep an eye on it. I have the left side of the Droid positioned over the sink for any further overflow to be dealt with easier.

50 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

On the second 24 hrs of brewing The Point, had my first overflow.

Woke up this morning and found a puddle of froth and beer. Damn it does smell good.

Was kinda expecting this to happen and think the likely cause is adding the 2nd 250g of Dextrose (X5) resulting in some very vigorous fermentation.

As I said above, the reasoning for the extra dextrose is that I am going for a IIPA with an 8.5% ABV target.

It all seems to have settled down now but will keep an eye on it. I have the left side of the Droid positioned over the sink for any further overflow to be dealt with easier.

It’s a big recipe and as you say with the extra dextrose a very active fermentation would be expected. At 8.5% bed could be earlier than you expect.😵💫

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

It’s a big recipe and as you say with the extra dextrose a very active fermentation would be expected. At 8.5% bed could be earlier than yo expect.😵💫

To be honest C3D, I'm very used to higher ABV beers as Doubles and Imperials frequently make up my purchases from various bottle shops. Hence why I was so keen to buy the BeerDroid and start my own as it's a very expensive habit.

For example, over the past weekend, I purchased 4 beers that cost me more than $60. One of which was the Garage Project Double Pernicious Weed at 10% and cost $19 from a specialty craft beer shop in Newcastle.

Actually thinking to contact the Legend that is Liam to see if we can come up with a recipe for some of my favourite Garage Project, Parrot Dog and Deep Creek beers. Yes, I do have a thing for Kiwi craft beers  😎

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

To be honest C3D, I'm very used to higher ABV beers as Doubles and Imperials frequently make up my purchases from various bottle shops. Hence why I was so keen to buy the BeerDroid and start my own as it's a very expensive habit.

For example, over the past weekend, I purchased 4 beers that cost me more than $60. One of which was the Garage Project Double Pernicious Weed at 10% and cost $19 from a specialty craft beer shop in Newcastle.

Actually thinking to contact the Legend that is Liam to see if we can come up with a recipe for some of my favourite Garage Project, Parrot Dog and Deep Creek beers. Yes, I do have a thing for Kiwi craft beers  😎

The cost of most purchased craft beers is insane. Your right, the BeerDroid process and recipes make for much cheaper outcomes of top quality.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So, okay cool, this is me much more relaxed on my second brew.

Got notified to dry hop this evening.

Went with the BrewPrint of 25g of Simcoe and Amarillo hops plus another 15 grams of each and then 30g of Eclipse for a grand total of 110 grams of dry hops.

And this time, because this is a West Coast IPA, put them into a sanitised hop bag to hopefully help with clarity.

Why the extra Eclipse hops you might ask... well because it will/should add extra  Citrus and pine flavours to compliment the flavours of these hops and beer.

Remember, I'm going for an Imperial/IIPA version of this beer. So I feel the extra hops are needed to balance the extra 250g of Dextrose for a hoped for 8.5% ABV.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

So, okay cool, this is me much more relaxed on my second brew.

Got notified to dry hop this evening.

Went with the BrewPrint of 25g of Simcoe and Amarillo hops plus another 15 grams of each and then 30g of Eclipse for a grand total of 110 grams of dry hops.

And this time, because this is a West Coast IPA, put them into a sanitised hop bag to hopefully help with clarity.

Why the extra Eclipse hops you might ask... well because it will/should add extra  Citrus and pine flavours to compliment the flavours of these hops and beer.

Remember, I'm going for an Imperial/IIPA version of this beer. So I feel the extra hops are needed to balance the extra 250g of Dextrose for a hoped for 8.5% ABV.

I don't think you need to worry about the hops bag. I'd just dump the pellets in the Droid. Run the cold crash - twice if you must (do this by forcing your brew into storage from the app once the program is complete), then use the Dry hop filter to bottle or keg.

If you want to be really, really sure you catch it all then just replace the standard Brewart filter insert with one of these from Bouncer:

Screens_Classic-768x684.jpg

I mostly use the blue filter. It's a 304 micron filter and nothing gets through it.

• Upvote 2

Okay been now past 48 hrs cold crash and as soon as it went to go into Kegging mode, I put it straight back into Storage to extend the cold crash for another 36 to 48 hours or so as I plan to bottle tomorrow sometime and based on the advice above from @Dustin Frothman.

I'm also hoping that the extra time in the cold crash will make for an even cleaner, clearer beer.

And @Dustin Frothman, I still plan to use the Hop filter. Will look at those attachments for sure for future brews as I noticed a fair bit of "floaties" managed to get through/past the standard mesh in the BrewArt Hop Filter with the N-C IPA I previously bottled and kegged.

For the Hazy and NEIPAs I definitely plan to just chuck them in as for those beers, Cloudy is King  😎

But a West Coast IPA style beer like the Original Ballast Point is definitely meant to be clear and more bitter rather than fruity hop flavours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

And @Dustin Frothman, I still plan to use the Hop filter. Will look at those attachments for sure for future brews as I noticed a fair bit of "floaties" managed to get through/past the standard mesh in the BrewArt Hop Filter with the N-C IPA I previously bottled and kegged.

FWIW I don't use the orange BrewArt supplied filter anymore.

I can't see the Bouncer filters on either Dave's Homebrew or The Hop and Grain there in Sydney.

You could always order from Brewcraft here in SA:

https://www.brewcraft.com.au/product/bouncer-classic-replacement-screen-beer-filter#brewcraft

11 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

@Dustin Frothman do you find that  the finer filter clogs up? I have had the orange Brewart filter totally bog up. I had to then clean it. Was going to buy another back up filter assembly. Might just order a couple of your blue and white filters from Hop and Grain.

Thankfully the bouncer filter insert has never clogged up for me.

I always do the minimum 48 hour cold crash but will sometimes force it longer via storage mode. Not sure if this helps but I'm getting good results.

What I've taken to doing though is clearing the tap with the first sample by opening the it fully and drawing off at least a cup (250 ml) of liquid. Then I'll fill one PET bottle using the filter, clean out the filter completely, re-sanitise and then fit my keg filling line and fill the keg.

I've definitely found that the finer gauge does help to achieve clearer beer.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Not sure if this helps but I'm getting good results.

What I've taken to doing though is clearing the tap with the first sample by opening the it fully and drawing off at least a cup (250 ml) of liquid. Then I'll fill one PET bottle using the filter, clean out the filter completely, re-sanitise and then fit my keg filling line and fill the keg.

I've definitely found that the finer gauge does help to achieve clearer beer.

That sound eminently sensible and will follow these steps when I bottle and keg tomorrow.

As always, thank you @Dustin Frothman for your sound advice.