The Point IPA

Okay, done!

After cold crashing for a little longer than anticipated, 88 hrs almost exactly, I finished kegging and bottling this, the Point IPA, not 2 hours ago.

I followed @Dustin Frothmansteps and this process will now be used for every kegging/bottling I do. Thankyou @Dustin Frothmanas that process really was the bomb!

Ran out 250ml with the tap fully open (and man that comes out quick so be prepared).

Then got my 5 litre iKegger and filled that right up and note that I filled it cold as I kept it at storage temp. I also put the keg into the fridge after sanitizing so it will keep temperature lower longer. Once the keg was filled I hit the tick to move it to kegging temp.

Got the CO2 on the keg right away using the iKegger setup and soda stream bottle. Sweet.

While getting that sorted the temp came up quickly and before I knew it, I was informed by the app we reached kegging temp. Cool!

So bottled again with 4x 750ml glass and 3x 750ml PET.

Using the hop bag, there was little sediment in the beer and what was there was easily captured by the hop strainer bottling thingamajig

Now, Im going to say here right noe thar this beer tasted so freakin good that I drank the entire 250ml run off at the start and then drank the dregs.

Right off the bat I prefer this to the N-C IPA. Much less malt, lots of awesome hop flavours.

This is my kinda beer... Hells Yeah!!!!

It was so good after finishing the bottles, I then tipped the beer droid to get the dregs into a glass and drank those.

OMG I cannot wait until this matures and get to have my first full proper glass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

@Wazza_wantsbeerWhat’s next up in your Droid?

Good question...

I've got the Hazy IPA ingredients ready to go and...

I've got the All Inn Brewing NEIPA FWK as well.

I think based on advice here, I'll go the Hazy IPA first before the FWK.

But... But, being the person that I am and that I can't help myself, I'm think to try a Double Dry Hopping with this.

I will try to guess "high krausen", thinking day 2, and do a first hop and then hop again following the customised program to dry hop.

Decisions, decisions...???

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
For clarity
  • Like 1

Oh and for those wondering...

The expected, or better said, hoped for, alcohol content for a Double or Imperial IPA (IIPA) of 8.0% straight out of the Droid was definitely felt when drinking about 750ml of the combined first pour and last pour of the dregs during bottling.

This... this is why I read these forums and read the reviews and watched the YouTube videos before I finally brought my first droid. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Oh and for those wondering...

The expected, or better said, hoped for, alcohol content for a Double or Imperial IPA (IIPA) of 8.0% straight out of the Droid was definitely felt when drinking about 750ml of the combined first pour and last pour of the dregs during bottling.

This... this is why I read these forums and read the reviews and watched the YouTube videos before I finally brought my first droid. 

Nice.

I’m an ale guy too but can’t quite work out my sweet spot for ABV.

Unless it’s a really special beer then often over 7% I find too boozy and similarly unless really well brewed under 5% too watery.

I’d love to be able to drink lower alcohol beers and not feel so full too.

First world problems.

• Upvote 1

“unless really well brewed under 5% too watery.

I’d love to be able to drink lower alcohol beers and not feel so full too.“

@Dustin Frothmanits really worth a try with English Pub Draught (4.5%) and the Coopers English Bitter BrewPrint clone (Liam) and my test result per this link. Both easy drinking and not watery, traditional ales.

https://community.brewart.com/topic/222-english-bitter-coopers-tin-to-brewprint/?do=findComment&comment=2056

English Bitter 2 x E2, E3, X3, Y2

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

@Wazza_wantsbeer I would double hop next time. Can never have to much hops. About to put the hop sessed in again. I will double of this. Now most of the Brewprints I double hop. As I like them hoppy. Just about to double the Golden days of Summer. Which I doubled hopped, with Amarillo.

Hi @Robert Prettyyou might have missed an earlier post as I did more than double the amount of recommended hops.

I... "Went with the BrewPrint of 25g each of Simcoe and Amarillo hops plus an additional 15 grams of each and then 30g of Eclipse for a grand total of 110 grams of dry hops."

From reading these threads and posts including many of yours prior to buying the Droid, I knew from day one that for my tastes, I would need to hop more than the recipe amounts.

The plan is that I will always be using a minimum of 100 grams for each brew.

In this case to maximise the juicy hippy flavours you want for a Hazy IPA, I will use the Double Dry Hop method, that is hopping twice during the brew.

First hop is at "High Krausen" and the second at the end of fermentation when the Droid tells you to hop.

Cheers

On 19/11/2021 at 2:15 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

Thankfully the bouncer filter insert has never clogged up for me.

I always do the minimum 48 hour cold crash but will sometimes force it longer via storage mode. Not sure if this helps but I'm getting good results.

What I've taken to doing though is clearing the tap with the first sample by opening the it fully and drawing off at least a cup (250 ml) of liquid. Then I'll fill one PET bottle using the filter, clean out the filter completely, re-sanitise and then fit my keg filling line and fill the keg.

I've definitely found that the finer gauge does help to achieve clearer beer.

I use a mesh hop ball and the fine blue hop filter and it works fine. Never had any floaties get past. Good hint re clearing the tap though.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

I use a mesh hop ball and the fine blue hop filter and it works fine. Never had any floaties get past. Good hint re clearing the tap though.

Nice one.

I'd probably argue that you're doubling up with both the filter and a hop ball but it really just comes down to personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...

The Point Double IPA

First taste at 2 weeks (secondary fermentation done) and OMG!!!

Better than expected and just what I hoped for. A West Coast Hop Bomb with a big, big punch.

Clear as, a little darker than expected but very clean and crisp on the paler... and the hops, the hops... wow.

The bitterness at first and then the other fruit forward flavours coat the mouth.

The 8.5% ABV is very much in the background of the flavour but you feel it as you sip and enjoy.

Cannot wait to see how this develops over the next 4 to 6 weeks.

But be aware, drink 2 and don't go anywhere near a car!20211201_154853.thumb.jpg.b0cada0d467c3aaab6f703cfba136924.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

On 30/11/2021 at 4:02 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Really hoping it is one of those "why the hell did I not think of this, how bloody simple but great is this"?

1 hour ago, J P said:

Never fear I had the same issue.  Liam sorted it.   There is a mismatch in the keg liner adaptors interfacing with the keg caps and it has to do with differing hardness of plastics (results in an air leak)

let Liam know and I think it’s a solvable problem and less likely to be something you’re doing wrong.  

1 hour ago, J P said:

Good stuff wazza!!

anyone try “the point”

side by side with the mountain range or rapid river?

You did. I have a "the point"a month into aging. I'll drop you a keg when it's ready!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't judge me, yes I'm having a session on a Wednesday afternoon. Its hot and humid today in Sydney. I'm off work taking an ADO after yesterdays stress (and no it wasn't just the keg issue but work was completely bonkers the past month or so as we did so many changes just before the pre-holiday change freeze period).

Finished my N-C IPA 750ml bottle and yeah I'm kinda glad I finished it but it really wasn't to my taste.

Now this... this is my style of beer.

4 weeks post fermentation, last tried just after finishing secondary fermentation and well, my thoughts are thusly...

If I went and paid $14 for a crafty West Coast IIPA and got this beer, I'd say take my money and give me more.

So much hoppy goodness, the bitter West Coast style that I love. Very hop forward character and as a Double IPA, 8.5% boozy without the taste...

I'm on top of the world.

The head on this beer is absolutely beyond reproach, thick and creamy, as is the clarity and taste.

This I would brew over and over...

20211215_154502.thumb.jpg.7415cecac3aab7dbf7e45ea2ad241309.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Please don't judge me, yes I'm having a session on a Wednesday afternoon. Its hot and humid today in Sydney. I'm off work taking an ADO after yesterdays stress (and no it wasn't just the keg issue but work was completely bonkers the past month or so as we did so many changes just before the pre-holiday change freeze period).

Relax, you’re in good company here.

Some of us drink beers on days ending in ‘y’ only.

• Haha 3

On 15/12/21 at 1:04 PM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Finished my N-C IPA 750ml bottle and yeah I'm kinda glad I finished it but it really wasn't to my taste.

Now this... this is my style of beer.

4 weeks post fermentation, last tried just after finishing secondary fermentation and well, my thoughts are thusly...

If I went and paid $14 for a crafty West Coast IIPA and got this beer, I'd say take my money and give me more.

So much hoppy goodness, the bitter West Coast style that I love. Very hop forward character and as a Double IPA, 8.5% boozy without the taste...

I'm on top of the world.

The head on this beer is absolutely beyond reproach, thick and creamy, as is the clarity and taste.

This I would brew over and over...

20211215_154502.thumb.jpg.7415cecac3aab7dbf7e45ea2ad241309.jpg

The point or Mountain?

and judge? Yeah right. You DO realise you’re on a brewers forum?!?!

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Alright, this is my first go-'round with The Point IPA, and I gotta say it took me by surprise. I honestly wasn't expecting to be terribly impressed, because it hit two weeks in the bottle just hours before I opened it. I put a couple in the fridge, just in case we got thirsty, then went outside to work in the yard with my bride to make absolutely certain that we did. With sweat running down our faces we stood in the yard in work gloves and shared the first one straight out of the bottle. Wow! Talk about a thirst crusher! Frankly, we were stunned with the complex maturity of this young brew. Once we had finished the day's chores, we cleaned up and retreated to the upper deck for a proper salute to the day. That's when I poured the one pictured. That's about a 10 oz. pour in a pint glass, and as you can see, the head is substantial. Retention was excellent, and the lace lingered.

As many of you know, this is a big, full-flavored beer, with a no-BS bitter finish. I'm going to go ahead and classify this as a Dangerous Beer. 

IMG_4449.jpeg

• Upvote 2