Storage during hot weather

Hippity Hop

14 minutes ago, Hippity Hop said:

I'm keen to bottle my first brew but we have a 41 degree day coming up. I won't be able to keep my beer under 30 degrees, and will often have them stored at 30 degrees on hot days. Is that going to be a problem?

so your house stays at above 30 degrees during that day?

There are different methods available, I am lucky, that I don't get affected as much but the linen cupboard is a good place to store alcohol as it maintains a steady temp. Others have suggested a bath tub of water as ideas but keep in mind your house temp may not reflect the outside temp.

Anyways, welcome to the forum mate :)

Edited by Rob Courtney

33 minutes ago, Hippity Hop said:

I'm keen to bottle my first brew but we have a 41 degree day coming up. I won't be able to keep my beer under 30 degrees, and will often have them stored at 30 degrees on hot days. Is that going to be a problem?

As suggested store in a cupboard or in cardboard boxes. I’m in Adelaide and the room temp can be 33 to 35C during summer and we often have heat waves. Never effected my bottle beer and still have stouts (years old) that survive nicely.

I’ve said elsewhere in another post that remember commercial beer sits on trucks for delivery, without refrigeration in very high temps, outside bottle shops ect before the cool room, and stored in back rooms on pallets to no detriment.

So don’t worry, just try to keep it as low as possible (heat rises) and not in the light.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

so your house stays at above 30 degrees during that day?

There are different methods available, I am lucky, that I don't get affected as much but the linen cupboard is a good place to store alcohol as it maintains a steady temp. Others have suggested a bath tub of water as ideas but keep in mind your house temp may not reflect the outside temp.

Anyways, welcome to the forum mate :)

Thanks mate.

BTW - i have based my inside temp on the droid ambient temp reading.

5 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Does it ever get above 30 degrees in Mt Gambier? 😛

You should hear folk whinge down here when it hits 30+. They complain all year that there is no summer and then when you start getting decent heat..."oh I can only take 25" ( I think they are talking about the weather, you never know down here). 

Seriously though, you still get lots of hot days, just the nights cool right down, so even if the temp is 40 during the day, more often than not it gets down to like 15 at night...that's the good bit, the days in winter where it is 1pm and it is still 5 degrees, I can do without thosei

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

You should hear folk whinge down here when it hits 30+. They complain all year that there is no summer and then when you start getting decent heat..."oh I can only take 25" ( I think they are talking about the weather, you never know down here). 

Seriously though, you still get lots of hot days, just the nights cool right down, so even if the temp is 40 during the day, more often than not it gets down to like 15 at night...that's the good bit, the days in winter where it is 1pm and it is still 5 degrees, I can do without thosei

A typical cricket match in Mt Gambier, Rob’s batting 😂😂😂2DD2D9CA-4B9F-4D82-BCDA-AEAF2D8211A9.jpeg.d49ec26df55c770db76050427dccb6a3.jpeg

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

I used to spend a bit of time down there and know your climate reasonably well. Those 5 degree winter afternoons are a real treat. 🥶

6E570404-3278-4030-83EB-759C1E1E79A3.thumb.png.ceffb8b64b62102ed3987bd5250f70de.png

We just got back from having a few beers at a local craft brewery on a very warm Adelaide evening.

It’s a bit hot in my “brew room”. Look at that little Droid go! I’ve just turned on the aircon upstairs to give the poor little guy a break.

Thankfully my kegs in storage are downstairs where it’s significantly cooler.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

6E570404-3278-4030-83EB-759C1E1E79A3.thumb.png.ceffb8b64b62102ed3987bd5250f70de.png

We just got back from having a few beers at a local craft brewery on a very warm Adelaide evening.

It’s a bit hot in my “brew room”. Look at that little Droid go! I’ve just turned on the aircon upstairs to give the poor little guy a break.

Thankfully my kegs in storage are downstairs where it’s significantly cooler.

“ I’ve just turned on the aircon upstairs to give the poor little guy a break.”
Trust the poor darling slept well 😂😂

514C8407-22BF-44E1-83F9-31B00DA139EF.thumb.jpeg.89e94032aff12f159a86747010e6d300.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1