Flat beer

I decided to let the Bohemian Lager sit in secondary for over 60 days and the beer has gone flat in the PET bottles. Would I be able to re-carbonate the beer by adding more sugar and storing it for another 2 weeks? 

It tastes amazing, it's just unfortunate that I can't keep the beer in bottles very long. Might look into glass bottles or kegging in the future.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Roman Kanivets said:

I decided to let the Bohemian Lager sit in secondary for over 60 days and the beer has gone flat in the PET bottles. Would I be able to re-carbonate the beer by adding more sugar and storing it for another 2 weeks? 

It tastes amazing, it's just unfortunate that I can't keep the beer in bottles very long. Might look into glass bottles or kegging in the future.

Yes you can re-prime but before removing the cap check each bottle for firmness. If tight it is probably carbonated, soft so not. I remember the PET bottles and found you need to ensure the cap is on tight, I used to give a tightening nip up with a pair of multi grips.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roman Kanivets said:

I went glass bottles for this reason

• Upvote 1

On 04/04/2021 at 1:15 AM, Roman Kanivets said:

Yep, was the story of my life with those PET bottles.  I switched over to swing-top glass ones and haven't had the problem since.  I put the last (I thought) of my PET bottles in the recycle a few months ago but just found some Baltic Porter under the house in PET bottles: completely flat.  I was going to toss it but maybe I'll try re-carbonating one to see what happens.  That BP is more than a year old though.

40 minutes ago, Roman Kanivets said:

I'll most likely switch to glass bottles my self. Waiting 60 days for beer to be ready only to find out it's flat is such a disappointment. 

Would you guys recommend crown tops or swing tops? 

Either one is fine but if it came down to a choice with me, it's crown seals but that is personal choice only. I went through a stage with my swingtops where 1 or two beers per dozen were flat and it just annoyed me. In saying that, you will have the next 5 people telling you never had an issue with swingtops, so maybe I am just the outlier on that one. I still have a dozen Grolsch bottles being used though, they work very well...and there is that satisfying pop when you open a swingtop...not so much when you open one at 1am when the wife is asleep next to you but... 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roman Kanivets said:

I'll most likely switch to glass bottles my self. Waiting 60 days for beer to be ready only to find out it's flat is such a disappointment. 

Would you guys recommend crown tops or swing tops? 

Crown seals for me. The swing tops are great if you get the seal right but it can be easy to have that slow leak, flat beer. Crowns seal really well.

• Upvote 1