Lid seal fit

I took the seal out of the lid and couldn’t figure out which direction the seal went back into the grove.  My problem, I was able to both fit the ridged edge of the seal into the lid’s grove and close the lid as well as fit the non ridged edge into the  lid’s grove and close the lid.

So which way is correct?  Could anyone upload a picture of the seal correctly placed into the lid?

2 hours ago, K. C. said:

I took the seal out of the lid and couldn’t figure out which direction the seal went back into the grove.  My problem, I was able to both fit the ridged edge of the seal into the lid’s grove and close the lid as well as fit the non ridged edge into the  lid’s grove and close the lid.

So which way is correct?  Could anyone upload a picture of the seal correctly placed into the lid?

If you place the non ridged edge in the groove it will fall out when you turn the lid back to the lid fitting and closing position. That’s my experience.

Edited by Eltham Brewing House

Ridged / ribbed end goes in groove. 

1.  Be sure lid and groove are dry to avoid the seal Slipping out. It needs to be dry to grIp properly.  

2.  Wipe the seal dry as well before trying to put it in 

3.  Line the seal up so that the ends are snug to the ends of the grooves. 

4.  There are built in “clip catches” that help hold the seal in place. (3 I think)

Snug the middle of the seal in place and work your way out from the centre on both sides 

5.  Drink a bunch of prior brews to reward yourself on the hard effort and celebrate your success with several more.  

it’s that easy 🙂

Noting if you make the mistake of starting at step 5, you’re best waiting several hours.   🤣

• Haha 5

On 06/08/2021 at 10:29 PM, J P said:

Ridged / ribbed end goes in groove. 

1.  Be sure lid and groove are dry to avoid the seal Slipping out. It needs to be dry to grIp properly.  

2.  Wipe the seal dry as well before trying to put it in 

3.  Line the seal up so that the ends are snug to the ends of the grooves. 

4.  There are built in “clip catches” that help hold the seal in place. (3 I think)

Snug the middle of the seal in place and work your way out from the centre on both sides 

5.  Drink a bunch of prior brews to reward yourself on the hard effort and celebrate your success with several more.  

it’s that easy 🙂

Noting if you make the mistake of starting at step 5, you’re best waiting several hours.   🤣

I always fit the seal while it and the lid seal groove are still wet with sanitizer and it has never fallen out. In fact it is easier to fit when both are wet. The seal only ever falls out when fitted wrong way around.

Edited by Eltham Brewing House
  • Upvote 3

• 2 years later...

I regret ever taking off the rubber gasket as I can't get it to sit firmly in place again like it was when it was brand new. Every time I open the lid of a brew, half of it is hanging in the beer. 

I am going to avoid buying beer that requires to add dry hops for this reason. This morning I spent around 30 minutes trying to place it back on properly after I added dry hops to a brew. It's still not on properly but at least the lid locks in place. When I open the lid again, I expect it to be hanging in the beer again.

20240122_041336.jpg

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Nick Seymour said:

I regret ever taking off the rubber gasket as I can't get it to sit firmly in place again like it was when it was brand new. Every time I open the lid of a brew, half of it is hanging in the beer. 

I am going to avoid buying beer that requires to add dry hops for this reason. This morning I spent around 30 minutes trying to place it back on properly after I added dry hops to a brew. It's still not on properly but at least the lid locks in place. When I open the lid again, I expect it to be hanging in the beer again.

20240122_041336.jpg

My method for putting the gasket on is to put both ends in first and then work the rest in until you get to the middle

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

My method for putting the gasket on is to put both ends in first and then work the rest in until you get to the middle

Rob, thanks for the tip. I will try that. A brew is due to be kegged and I plan to do it when I get home from work today. After that happens, this will give me the opportunity to get some practice with this gasket and try different methods. 

For what it's worth... I've struggled with that #!%$&#! seal myself quite a bit. Although I don't have a guaranteed simple method for getting it placed, I've found that this helps.

It seems like there is "getting it positioned properly", and then there is "getting it secured in place so it won't pop out." The first is somewhat difficult, while the second is tear-your-hair-out frustrating. What I try for is just getting it in the right position. Then, instead of trying to force it down by hand, I carefully place the lid on top of the droid, then press and turn it into the locked position. Then I remove the lid, sanitize, and lube the lid as usual. This process has been working for me so far. Good luck.

Edited by Steve Gyldenvand
  • Upvote 2

Not really a full answer, but had to do it recently myself after brewing the Polski baltic porter, lots of krausen on the lid so I felt the need to remove it.  What I did notice was that if I inserted the seal properly on one side & then ran my finger along through the entire length, this in effect stretched the rubber and I had a good amount of seal I couldn't insert due to length.
So I pulled it all out, tried again, this time just pushing down rotating a bit then pushing again (if you get what I'm trying to say) avoiding the stretching of the seal.  This produced a result where I was within 2-3 mm of overhang vs the previous of 6-12mm.
So how you go about reinserting it can affect things, I did have to cut a small section as I think I may have stretched it too far on the initial try.

• Upvote 2

On 22/01/2024 at 7:28 AM, Nick Seymour said:

20240122_041336.jpg

Just cut it a bit shorter. 

• Upvote 2

G 'Day Guys, 

I'll post this here so brewers can find the answer if they come looking. 

I have attached a photo below of how to fit the lid seal. Note the ribbed part fits into the groove and the seal faces inwards to the center of the lid.

The trick is to start at the ends of the seal first and work your way to the middle.

I hope this helps.

Lid Seal.png