I sort of missed this last month so here goes. I hope this helps some new, current or prospective brewers.

13 months into the Brewart journey for me. I picked this system based on discussions I'd had with a mate that works in Dubai. I was due to move there for work too and wanted something that would function in an apartment/townhouse setting and could be controlled remotely. The quality, ease of shipping and storage of the kit ingredients and possibilities for experimentation with recipes was appealing. The Coopers brand reputation a big consideration too.

So whilst the work move didn't proceed as planned I'm very glad I decided to give the system a go.

I'm up to 30 brews so far which is about one a fortnight. Less than I'd hoped but an interstate move, retraining at work, a house purchase and a local move thrown in mean that at times it's been tricky to maintain the rage.

It's BeerDroid and BrewFLo for me. I have the bottling kit and use the PET bottles for any overflow. I've recently collected 12 Coopers long necks that I may bottle and crown seal a few "keepers" with in future but I'm not much of a bottling fan and prefer beer on draught.

I've discovered a lot along the way. This forum has been invaluable. The Facebook site somewhat too but I'm not a fan of the platform. A big thanks to the regular and knowledgeable members here who provide so much considered and unbiased information.

Some notable things from my journey:

• 2 BeerDroids are a must if you like to drink a few beers each week, want to enjoy your brews at their peak and are looking to your brewing as an alternative to purchasing beers. Of course you can manage just fine with one BeerDroiud but you need to set your expectations accordingly or just drink less. 
  • Most brews need between 4 and 8 weeks conditioning time and some 12+ Drink some recipes too early and you may be disappointed.
  • Read the manuals. Watch all of the Brewart 101 videos and then watch them again.
  • The kegging and dispensing system is great but has some flaws like anything with a few variables. Some of these issues are design/quality control related and are being addressed and some are just a steepish learning curve. Stick with it and you will be rewarded. Other home brewers have issues with their full size kegerators but ultimately you can't put a kegerator on the kitchen bench and back in the cupboard when you're done nor can you duck out for beer gas at 9pm on a Saturday night when you inevitably run out mid session.
  • If you're using the BrewFlo then let your completed brew sit in the BeerDroid at kegging temperature for an extra 48 hours once it notifies you that it's complete. This seems to stop the dreaded "foamy BrewFlo pours" issue that is often reported.
  • If you're the organised type then try the "Shemsheet" Microsoft Excel file to assist you with your ordering. You'll even save a few dollars along the way and the planet from some excess packaging. You might discover some fun experiments to be had in there too that will expand your brewing repetoire.
  • Try things. You will make mistakes and some brews won't turn out as you hoped. That's life. This is not a Nespresso machine. That said, if you're drinking Nespresso "coffee" please report to your nearest Vet to be put down ... you animal. 🤢 
  • Share your successes and your failures. Try to keep the negative stuff in proportion or at least attempt to offer a solution. You have no idea who is listening/reading and the influence you might have.
  • Brewart Support are your friends. I cannot stress this enough. They want to see you succeed with this thing. Ring them, email them, message them on here, FaceBook message them, send them a postcard and some freshly baked cookies. No don't do that. Just make contact. You will be surprised at their willingness and generosity in sorting out all and any issues you may encounter. They back their product completely. This is this system's best and most valuable attribute.
  • Try the Search Function on here. Whilst there are no stupid questions, most problems have already been experienced and many have been solved. There is a wealth of information on here and you may be able to get an instant answer to your query and save some late night or time zone induced frustration.
  • Lastly, be patient. If anything, my journey back to home brewing has reminded me that good beer takes time but it's nearly always worth the wait.

Thanks for a brilliant product Brewart/Coopers. You've got me hooked.

Happy brewing everyone!

🍻

Edited by Dustin Frothman
I hate typos ... there's probably more though.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 9

7 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I sort of missed this last month so here goes. I hope this helps some new, current or prospective brewers.

13 months into the Brewart journey for me. I picked this system based on discussions I'd had with a mate that works in Dubai. I was due to move there for work too and wanted something that would function in an apartment/townhouse setting and could be controlled remotely. The quality, ease of shipping and storage of the kit ingredients and possibilities for experimentation with recipes was appealing. The Coopers brand reputation a big consideration too.

So whilst the work move didn't proceed as planned I'm very glad I decided to give the system a go.

I'm up to 30 brews so far which is about one a fortnight. Less than I'd hoped but an interstate move, retraining at work, a house purchase and a local move thrown in mean that at times it's been tricky to maintain the rage.

It's BeerDroid and BrewFLo for me. I have the bottling kit and use the PET bottles for any overflow. I've recently collected 12 Coopers long necks that I may bottle and crown seal a few "keepers" with in future but I'm not much of a bottling fan and prefer beer on draught.

I've discovered a lot along the way. This forum has been invaluable. The Facebook site somewhat too but I'm not a fan of the platform. A big thanks to the regular and knowledgeable members here who provide so much considered and unbiased information.

• 2 BeerDroids are a must if you like to drink a few beers each week, want to enjoy your brews at their peak and are looking to your brewing as an alternative to purchasing beers. Of course you can manage just fine with one BeerDroiud but you need to set your expectations accordingly or just drink less. 
  • Most brews need between 4 and 8 weeks conditioning time and some 12+ Drink some recipes too early and you may be disappointed.
  • Read the manuals. Watch all of the Brewart 101 videos and then watch them again.
  • The kegging and dispensing system is great but has some flaws like anything with a few variables. Some of these issues are design/quality control related and are being addressed and some are just a steepish learning curve. Stick with it and you will be rewarded. Other home brewers have issues with their full size kegerators but ultimately you can't put a kegerator on the kitchen bench and back in the cupboard when you're done nor can you duck out for beer gas at 9pm on a Saturday night when you inevitably run out mid session.
  • If you're using the BrewFlo then let your completed brew sit in the BeerDroid at kegging temperature for an extra 48 hours once it notifies you that it's complete. This seems to stop the dreaded "foamy BrewFlo pours" issue that is often reported.
  • If you're the organised type then try the "Shemsheet" Microsoft Excel file to assist you with your ordering. You'll even save a few dollars along the way and the planet from some excess packaging. You might discover some fun experiments to be had in there too that will expand your brewing repetoire.
  • Try things. You will make mistakes and some brews won't turn out as you hoped. That's life. This is not a Nespresso machine. That said, if you're drinking Nespresso "coffee" please report to your nearest Vet to be put down ... you animal. 🤢 
  • Share your successes and your failures. Try to keep the negative stuff in proportion or at least attempt to offer a solution. You have no idea who is listening/reading and the influence you might have.
  • Brewart Support are your friends. I cannot stress this enough. They want to see you succeed with this thing. Ring them, email them, message them on here, FaceBook message them, send them a postcard and some freshly baked cookies. No don't do that. Just make contact. You will be surprised at their willingness and generosity in sorting out all and any issues you may encounter. They back their product completely. This is this system's best and most valuable attribute.
  • Try the Search Function on here. Whilst there are no stupid questions, most problems have already been experienced and many have been solved. There is a wealth of information on here and you may be able to get an instant answer to your query and save some late night or time zone induced frustration.
  • Lastly, be patient. If anything, my journey back to home brewing has reminded me that good beer takes time but it's nearly always worth the wait.

Happy brewing everyone!

🍻

What a great post.  It really is something every brewartist should read.  

wise tips and a great summary.  

thanks Dusty!

23 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Happy brewing everyone!

🍻

Excellent work. Would you allow me to post it on the FB Brewart page??

• 11 months later...
On 06/08/2021 at 2:07 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

Happy brewing everyone!

🍻

I received notification the other day that someone had 'reacted' to this post so I thought I'd revisit it another 12 months down the track and see where things were at.

As I type this my BrewFlo is chugging away in the laundry and has been serving up the Kremlin Russian Imperial Stout that I made around this time last year. I added about a litre of cold brew espresso to it, and with 12 months of conditioning it's a fantastic beer and has probably convinced me that it's not really worth the effort to make a stout from scratch with grain. You've just got to be patient and brew these big beers well in advance. 6 to 12 months conditioning seems to do wonders and it's as good as anything I've had out and about at any craft breweries. I've still got a couple of Brewprints to make but for the most part this year I've been experimenting and enjoying learning and trying some new things with brewing.

My two BeerDroids haven't been working quite as hard of late but nor have they been snoozing. When brewing they have been infallible. I've chucked everything at them in the last 12 months - Brewprints, partial mash brews, Coopers DIY cans, a Fresh Wort Kit and quite a few worts made from scratch in my kettle. I really can't fault them. Easy to clean, small footprint, cheap to run, just enough tech features and a very useful app. To get the same functionality from the other product offerings on the market I'd be looking at a stand-alone fridge or chiller unit and a bunch of extra bits and pieces. I'm still as happy with them as ever and I think if one happened to wear out or give up then I'd be on the lookout for another to replace it.

It's been great to see the teasers for the updated Brewflo and I'm quietly hoping this will sort out the numerous issues with that side of the system. In hindsight I was incredibly patient with mine and I utilised every bit of assistance that the customer service team offered to address the problems I was having. They were fantastic to deal with and also very patient with me.

I'll be a bit bold here and say that none of the problems were of my doing. I operate far more complex machinery and tech at work and am confident that I either know what I'm doing or can follow detailed instructions to get a process right. That said, I could've taken up additional and very generous offers to fix bits and pieces or replace things but in the end I just got a bit tired with it all and looked for an alternative solution as I felt that I wanted some additional functionality that the unit couldn't offer. I'm glad I went that way as it has completely eliminated the issues, beer loss and stress that kegging was causing. I'm not sure if I'll keep my BrewFlo longer term. Perhaps if there was a trade in available for the new improved system then I'd seriously consider that. I have 20 BrewArt kegs and should my work outlook change then I may need something smaller than a kegerator.

For now my fancy kettle, 2 BeerDroids, various BrewArt fittings including the Dry Hop filter (which is magnificent with an aftermarket filter insert), Coopers PET bottles, Coopers Carbonation Drops, my 1/2 Corny kegs and a 3-tap kegerator complete my home brewery. I really enjoy all the processes that go into making beers and the Brewart system is the key to reinvigorating my interest the the hobby. I only wish I had a bit more time to enjoy more beers at the moment!

So I'd still highly recommend the BrewArt system for anyone that is interested in making quality beers at home. You can't go wrong with a BeerDroid and coupled with a BrewPrint that you like then you're on your way to making high quality craft beer at home with very little effort. If you wish to get your hands a little dirtier you can start out with Coopers ingredients including their canned worts or partial mash kits (as advertised over at Coopers DIY Beer), or dive deeper with fresh wort kits, stove top or electric kettle grain brewing. The possibilities are endless and if you like to experiment and possess a bit of patience then with this system you'll be sure to turn out beers that are better than you thought were possible to create at home.

🍻

• Upvote 6

• 1 month later...

A bit of a sad development in my BrewArt journey today. I sold my BrewFlo Version 1 and all the kegs. Earlier this week I gave away my unused liners to a fellow forum contributor in recognition of all the advice and support he has provided all of us here.

I really wish V1 had worked more consistently. V2's updates are exciting, but I don't have a need for two kegging systems at present.

Perhaps one day  I'll be back.

For any new users looking into BrewFlo V2 I can say without first hand experience that I can see that many if not all of the existing issues appear to have been addressed and you would certainly do very well to acquire one as part of your BrewArt kit.

😪 🍻

• Like 3