Cyro Hops

Robert Pretty

Anyone used this style of hops. Apparently they are twice as potent as the standard hop, for the same weight. Something to do with the processing. 

This could be good for us big hoppers. Double the flavour for half the number of pellets. This could be useful when kegging and not blocking the filter, etc.

My hop supplier sells these as well as the standard hops.

Thoughts anyone.

• Upvote 1

CRYO HOPS® are an innovative hop product that is made by separating the lupulin from the hop flower using cryogenic processing.  The result is a product with twice the potency of pellets, with reduced astringency and vegetative material. Typical usage of CRYO HOPS® would be roughly 50% of standard pellets. Additionally, the lower dosage rate of the concentrated powder reduces the volume of trub and therefore, kettle loss. Cryo Hops can be used in any application where traditional hop products are utilized, including: Bittering, Kettle, Whirlpool and even direct to the fermenter.  It is suggested that you use CRYO HOPS® as late additions, in the whirlpool or dry hop, as the volatile aromatic compounds will be driven off if added early in the boil.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:
CRYO HOPS® are an innovative hop product that is made by separating the lupulin from the hop flower using cryogenic processing.  The result is a product with twice the potency of pellets, with reduced astringency and vegetative material. Typical usage of CRYO HOPS® would be roughly 50% of standard pellets. Additionally, the lower dosage rate of the concentrated powder reduces the volume of trub and therefore, kettle loss. Cryo Hops can be used in any application where traditional hop products are utilized, including: Bittering, Kettle, Whirlpool and even direct to the fermenter.  It is suggested that you use CRYO HOPS® as late additions, in the whirlpool or dry hop, as the volatile aromatic compounds will be driven off if added early in the boil.

I thought it was a gimmicky thing the craft guys were putting on their cans.   Thanks for the education.    

sounds like it’s well worth trying.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 28/11/2021 at 8:02 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Can imagine how my brew shop guy will act when I ask him about this...

Just tell him you're considering buying a Braumeister and he'll probably ban you for life.

@Robert PrettyI've tried a few commercial brews with Cryo Hops. I'm yet to purchase any for home brewing but perhaps when the freezer empties ...

• Haha 2

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have now done a fair bit with cryo hops.   I like the theory.

I have to say in all honesty I’ve had mixed results.  

I do think that less vegetative matter is good in that there is less liquid loss when dry hopping in large volume.  

I also think that CryoPop is a great way to start and goes well with Mountain Range.  

I’ve not been as impressed with Amarillo and citra for some reason.   

i also have noticed that the cryo hops when added Are more resinous and sticky and wonder whether they come alive more when you dissolve them in the whirlpool instead of dry hopping.  @wazza any thoughts?

next rabbit hole: @GarageProject Incognito Hops.  Sounds like something worth playing with (spoiler alert) super hop liquid ooze… I am game to try this.   Anyone had a go yet?