Fresh wort brewing

Robert Pretty

On 15/07/2022 at 6:16 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

It is great to see that you agree with yourself (lol)😂

It was very bloody nice.

I saw Brewshop guy on friday nad asked why he didn't have FWKs and he got all defensive and said "I can order them in" so I ordered a session and a pale to see how they turn out

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Picked up the Session ( Azacca and El Dorado hops and dry hop) and a Pale (Vic Secret and Galaxy) dry hop with Galaxy.

Interesting to see what the Session hops turn out, haven't tried either and it just kind of gives me the chance to grab 50gms of each to try and then use on another beer before buying more

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

Picked up the Session ( Azacca and El Dorado hops and dry hop) and a Pale (Vic Secret and Galaxy) dry hop with Galaxy.

Interesting to see what the Session hops turn out, haven't tried either and it just kind of gives me the chance to grab 50gms of each to try and then use on another beer before buying more

@Rob Courtney, Are they the All Inn Brewing FWK's ? They always turn out well. Got there Mercenary American Pale Ale brewing, at the moment. The local brewery at Dungog just started doing some as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 29/08/2022 at 9:08 PM, Robert Pretty said:

@Rob Courtney, Are they the All Inn Brewing FWK's ? They always turn out well. Got there Mercenary American Pale Ale brewing, at the moment. The local brewery at Dungog just started doing some as well. 

Yep both of them are. I have only done the Japanese Lager and whilst that was very nice, I was interested to try it against something I do brew. Very tempted to split the galaxy into a 60/40 Galaxy Citra ratio though

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yep both of them are. I have only done the Japanese Lager and whilst that was very nice, I was interested to try it against something I do brew. Very tempted to split the galaxy into a 60/40 Galaxy Citra ratio though

@Rob Courtney, Haven't done their Session or Australian Pale Ale, did there Legbreaker IPA it was good. Kegging there American Pale Ale tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Australian Pale Ale divvied up between the two droids, it is strange to think that there is a lazier way to brew. This one states not to dry hop more than 3 days (Galaxy 25gms per droid dry hop... original wort hops are Vic Secrets and Galaxy...maybe I could put more Galaxy in...) so it may be a case of either buying an extra box of bottles or letting the second brew rest in storage until some bottles come free and then dry hop it for 3 days at 18 degrees) 

29 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Australian Pale Ale divvied up between the two droids, it is strange to think that there is a lazier way to brew. This one states not to dry hop more than 3 days (Galaxy 25gms per droid dry hop... original wort hops are Vic Secrets and Galaxy...maybe I could put more Galaxy in...) so it may be a case of either buying an extra box of bottles or letting the second brew rest in storage until some bottles come free and then dry hop it for 3 days at 18 degrees) 

More bottles, you know that Rob.

0AD0A7B9-ACFC-4521-A648-0D68BD678E69.jpeg.a8fc8d0d03ed5ef7faf62b54a2cffd79.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just pushed past 2 weeks so I thought I'd at least give one a go to see where it is at, Beared Dragon Pale Ale.

I liked the lager one I did but would never brew that again over the pilsner/lagers I can brew here but this Pale Ale is very nice for two weeks, like very nice. I am currently drinking a GDOSA with 25/15 mix of Amarillo and Citra at 4 weeks and the wort sits comfortably with that one.

Would brew this one again

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

5 and a half weeks in...and here is the quandry I have, the brewprint of the pale ale is very nice, as a base, it is open to lots of hops choices.

This fresh wort is bloody nice though, you could go a big, big session on it. I guess if using the brewprint I'd give Vic Secrets and Galaxy hops a go

VIC secret, galaxy, and eclipse 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

So trying the Session Ale tonight...38C where i am and quite frankly, I deserve it. Had a couple of stubbies early and it needed some time and to be honest, might need a couple of weeks for the hops to settle enough for me but...but

Never had Eldorado and Azacca hops before...they go very well and the beer is really nice, like really nice. Would like to muck around with one these hops and a noble hop in a lager, think it will work well...and i believe I may be the first home brewer to ever say a mixture of hops may work,

IMG_1296.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So have tried the session ale tonight, mainly because work sucks sometimes and a nice beer means that at least the whole day wasn't crap.

I have 2 droids of this, one was hopped for three days and the second for five. Had the later one first and it still seems a little hoppy, nice but yeah, might need a little more time. Second bottle was the first brewed and that is coming into it's own. Probably 13 weeks in and with a nice strong flavour but mellowed to the point of being "sessionable". I'd have Coopers session over this everyday of the week but I'd have eye fillet over Porterhouse, wouldn't mean I'd turn down Porterhouse if that was what was on offer.

Not as good as say the Pale Ale but better than the Kissagi Lager when it comes to the FWKs

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have been drinking this over the weekend. I note a couple of the Fresh Worts want the hopping to be done for three days only. This didn't state this, so I did it for five and maybe it should have been done for three. Still, not bad (keep in mind, predominant lager drinker) but with five days, not a session beer that it makes out.

Have had worse beers but in the fresh wort range I'd probably not go back to this over the Brewart range. I mean, wouldn't say no to a glass of this or a second but probably wouldn't spend the money on this.

• Like 1

Due to an absence of beer in my kegerator (too much drinking, not enough brewing), some upcoming travel plans as well as the Droid well occupied with an All Grain clone of Russian River's Pliny the Elder Imperial IPA, I went for an All Inn Brewing Hazy IPA FWK.

Got this into my Fermzilla (which I haven't used for ages as I've just been using my Droid). Interestingly, because you add the extra 5l of water and the Original Gravity of the wort is 1.070, I decided to add Dextrose to the wort to try to get back to the 1.070 OG after dilution.

I tried to find an online calculator that would help but didn't find anything after a quick search so just went ahead and added roughly 500g.

Then in my haste I forgot to take a new OG reading so will be interesting to see how this turns out.

• Haha 1

Trying some of the Summer ale I brewed tonight, almost 6 weeks in. Whilst I am kinda happy to let the Session Ale not be brewed again, think the Brewart pacifics and Session Ales have it covered by a stretch, this one is bloody good.

Will try to remember what hop I had to search for, but it was a NZ one to add with Melba but at this stage, it's come out a treat. Not saying it is the same startosphere as the Brewart GDOS but it is a very nice beer. Am going to see if I can stretch the secondbatch of longnecks out til after I come back from Vietnam in late July, hoping it improves like the Pale Ale did

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Trying some of the Summer ale I brewed tonight, almost 6 weeks in. Whilst I am kinda happy to let the Session Ale not be brewed again, think the Brewart pacifics and Session Ales have it covered by a stretch, this one is bloody good.

Will try to remember what hop I had to search for, but it was a NZ one to add with Melba but at this stage, it's come out a treat. Not saying it is the same startosphere as the Brewart GDOS but it is a very nice beer. Am going to see if I can stretch the secondbatch of longnecks out til after I come back from Vietnam in late July, hoping it improves like the Pale Ale did

You will love Vietnam, even in the wet season.

• Like 1

Having a bit of a go on the Summer Ales tonight as i really only promised to go into work for an hour for a client and that was late afternoon. To be honest, they are pretty good and are going down easy but no better than the equivalent Brewprint, in fact GDOS with the 25/15 Amarillo citra split have it covered. Still, not a bad drop and worth a go if you are headsing down that track.

Funny but the further I move down the FWK track, the more I appreciate the brewprint

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...