California Steam Ale

On 15/08/2019 at 9:15 AM, Barrelboy said:

Put this one in the droid today (15/8/19), looking forward to it.

You may recall I put one of these on a few weeks and and kegged it a week ago. I am looking forward to trying it and will aim to give it 4 weeks in secondary. 

• 1 month later...
On 21/09/2019 at 4:22 PM, Rennce said:

Yep it should be good by now. I will chill the keg down when back home next week so should be good for the weekend. Will keep you updated

Got home just now and have put one of the California Steam Ales in the Brewflow. Two leaking keg lines later (fixed with another overly large zip tie) and the keg is now chilling and be reading to test tomorrow. 

21 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Got home just now and have put one of the California Steam Ales in the Brewflow. Two leaking keg lines later (fixed with another overly large zip tie) and the keg is now chilling and be reading to test tomorrow. 

I’ll be interested in your thoughts. A few people have trouble with the brewflo but I think it’s about teething problems, and all will workout.

22 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

I’ll be interested in your thoughts. A few people have trouble with the brewflo but I think it’s about teething problems, and all will workout.

Yeah I will just see how it goes. Given it is second hand Unit it was no where near as $$ as a new one and I don’t know that I would stump up for a new unit. Probably go the route of co2 if it is problematic which is not too expensive and purely mechanical. 

48 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Yeah I will just see how it goes. Given it is second hand Unit it was no where near as $$ as a new one and I don’t know that I would stump up for a new unit. Probably go the route of co2 if it is problematic which is not too expensive and purely mechanical. 

But from your saying the Beerflo unit itself is not the problem. You just need to work on the kegs attachments. Going down the co2 route is expensive and I’ve said elsewhere if this had been available back when then Beerflo possibly for me.

13 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

But from your saying the Beerflo unit itself is not the problem. You just need to work on the kegs attachments. Going down the co2 route is expensive and I’ve said elsewhere if this had been available back when then Beerflo possibly for me.

No unit is fine - assuming it lasts. Easy to fix the leaky keg lines. So really you plug everything in and turn on - job done. I was under the impression that co2 kegging wasn’t too $$ but then recalled your earlier post on this thread. 

27 minutes ago, Rennce said:

No unit is fine - assuming it lasts. Easy to fix the leaky keg lines. So really you plug everything in and turn on - job done. I was under the impression that co2 kegging wasn’t too $$ but then recalled your earlier post on this thread. 

It’s expensive- 

kegs, co2 bottle, regulator, beer/gas line, gas/beer disconnects, fridge ( dedicated?) etc etc. stay with and master the Beerflo system.

2 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

It’s expensive- 

kegs, co2 bottle, regulator, beer/gas line, gas/beer disconnects, fridge ( dedicated?) etc etc. stay with and master the Beerflo system.

Haha - based on that list of kit, the cost, the cleaning and me not having space for much then yes

• Upvote 1

On 20/09/2019 at 12:08 PM, Barrelboy said:

5 and a bit weeks in the keg, again a very nice drop. Bitter herbal finish to it, malt spice to the taste. Creamy head and another to be brew again.0625666E-21D6-4E7B-B848-65342200F51F.thumb.jpeg.9aaa6183070057973c0175d21a04a9d2.jpeg593C258E-1036-459E-9BC3-E11C5356781D.thumb.jpeg.bf059e9109d8aac6b6e3a07c634610a9.jpeg

Poured a trial Cal Steam from the brewflow. Foam head was fine. Beer seems to come out slow but I am not sure if that is normal or not.  Carbonation still a bit low but that obviously has nothing to do with the flo. Taste is good.

66F596B1-940B-4B81-91CF-6A558CCD7FDA.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Yes it went down a treat, with even the non-beer drinkers giving it the thumbs up. 

Now doesn’t that make you feel good 😋👍.

(If you can try one on a beer drinker, tell them at first you bought it. (Some people as soon as you say home brew, it’s crap before they even taste it))

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Brewing this again, it was so nice. (in the Droid 18/11/19)

Yes it is on my list to do again.  I have a coopers dark ale fermenting at the moment. Hopefully it will be ok as I added one of the malt packets prior to the yeast.... 

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

Great, no issues then.

No wonder we both like it, our photo’s look as if they were both poured from the same batch 🍻😋

M y Brewprint Steam Ale, Irish Red Ale and a Winter Dark Ale from a tin of Mr Beer have been the winners so far from the droid. The Aztec Cerveza was ok but nothing to write home about.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2019 at 12:16 PM, Barrelboy said:

Kegged today (2/12/19) after 14days. Bit surprised with the time as previous one took 9days however variation in the yeast can contribute to this. The appearance, smell and taste all good. 😅 

Hi Rob, Yes 14 days seems like a stretch but not unheard of on the forums. I have a Tall Tale Pale Ale fermenting now and kegged the Beer Italia yesterday. Off topic a bit, but on the faceplant Beer Droid group a few contributed low carbonation to leaving the brew in storage and then bringing back to "kegging" phase prior to kegging/bottling. What they didn't elaborate on is whether it was the cold storage or not giving the yeast long enough to mix and somewhat activate with the warmer beer prior to bottling.... Cheers Terry