Coopers Sparkling Ale

18 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Ps you could be home soon? Sorry, those SA pubs you mentioned.

Yes, hopefully soon enough. At least a few weeks in August and at best up to a month with the rolling stand downs at work.

If QLD reciprocates and some direct flights are put back on then the wife can visit here too.

All the more reason to get a few brews done and into secondary fermentation so that they're ready to go.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Well I didn’t do the comparison with a purchased long neck but I did an experiment with keg co2 vs PET carbonation drops ( Coopers PET with 2 drops) from the same fermented batch.

Now the keg is to the right and the bottle version obviously to the left. A flurry head on the bottle one, both have excellent carbonation bubbling. Now the taste test - keg, very fresh, crisp and nice on the palate. Bottle, deeper in flavour, a nice drop.

verdict  -  I have to say to my surprise the bottle just wins, more depth in flavour however the keg,  very crisp.

However I just realised that I filled the bottle last, after the keg so the potential for a stronger flavour is explained. Good experiment but next time the bottle sample should be taken mid way.

1420A03F-B002-4EE0-8229-83AF7A83DD1B.thumb.jpeg.5cf6a789a4d09c7e1939568a4c6520ec.jpeg

3 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Well I didn’t do the comparison with a purchased long neck but I did an experiment with keg co2 vs PET carbonation drops ( Coopers PET with 2 drops) from the same fermented batch.

Now the keg is to the right and the bottle version obviously to the left. A flurry head on the bottle one, both have excellent carbonation bubbling. Now the taste test - keg, very fresh, crisp and nice on the palate. Bottle, deeper in flavour, a nice drop.

verdict  -  I have to say to my surprise the bottle just wins, more depth in flavour however the keg,  very crisp.

However I just realised that I filled the bottle last, after the keg so the potential for a stronger flavour is explained. Good experiment but next time the bottle sample should be taken mid way.

1420A03F-B002-4EE0-8229-83AF7A83DD1B.thumb.jpeg.5cf6a789a4d09c7e1939568a4c6520ec.jpeg

Interesting and I have done a similar experiment with Brewart kegs and bottling and bottling seems to get a greater depth of flavour. I have tried bottling first and last and it seemed not to make a difference. It made it that if I keg, I'll keg the lot now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Roman Kanivets said:

Thanks lol! Was hoping to bottle it before going on a trip, but it's at almost 7 days and the temperature is still not ramping yet. 

Both my brews of this fermentation finished at 7 days so you should not be far off although the BrewPrint states 7 to 14days. I assume fermentation was defected so “the temperature is still not ramping yet” means?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Both my brews of this fermentation finished at 7 days so you should not be far off although the BrewPrint states 7 to 14days. I assume fermentation was defected so “the temperature is still not ramping yet” means?

Cheers

Yes it detected fermentation right away. The last brew I did ramped the temperature towards the end of fermentation. Does it not do that for every brew? 

It's on day 7 now, hoping it ends fermentation tomorrow, so I can bottle before I go to Dominican for the week. 

1 hour ago, Roman Kanivets said:

Yes it detected fermentation right away. The last brew I did ramped the temperature towards the end of fermentation. Does it not do that for every brew? 

It's on day 7 now, hoping it ends fermentation tomorrow, so I can bottle before I go to Dominican for the week. 

Not all brews will ramp near the end of fermentation, most of the Lagers do going from 12C to 15C and/or 17C. Ales generally don’t just go to ready to keg.

3 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Not all brews will ramp near the end of fermentation, most of the Lagers do going from 12C to 15C and/or 17C. Ales generally don’t just go to ready to keg.

Oh great! Thank you for the information. I thought that might be the case since the Ale ferments at almost room temperature. Pretty excited to bottle this one, pretty hard to buy Coopers Ale here. 

8 minutes ago, Roman Kanivets said:

Oh great! Thank you for the information. I thought that might be the case since the Ale ferments at almost room temperature. Pretty excited to bottle this one, pretty hard to buy Coopers Ale here. 

The Coopers Sparkling Ale is a really true ale and this recipe and the result is excellent.

Let us know how you go.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 16/12/21 at 8:11 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Well haven’t done this for quite a while so in the Droid today for some summer new year enjoyment. A simple recipe with no dry hop requirements. I really enjoyed this last time.

Well at 8 weeks plus just absolutely tops. No dry hopping, just as is. Taken a sip, as described in the recipe profile.image.thumb.jpg.52fee768db01b1f867b6ef7cf6775e15.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After nearly 6 weeks since I brewed the Coopers Sparkling Ale I tried it last night and I had mixed thoughts.

There was a slight hint of home breweryness about the bottle I opened (PET Bottle) and I wouldn't say that it was pub quality. Ihad to wash it down with the real stuff.

Just wondering if anyone else is happy with the finished product.

Or provide any tips to improve the brew?

1 hour ago, Mark Gillman said:

After nearly 6 weeks since I brewed the Coopers Sparkling Ale I tried it last night and I had mixed thoughts.

There was a slight hint of home breweryness about the bottle I opened (PET Bottle) and I wouldn't say that it was pub quality. Ihad to wash it down with the real stuff.

Just wondering if anyone else is happy with the finished product.

Or provide any tips to improve the brew?

Have always enjoyed this. Perhaps a bit longer for it to mature more. Let us know if it does improve for you.

Ps there already was a Coopers Sparkling Ale thread so I’ve combined the two.