Irish Red

Geno,

Since you will be using the BrewArt filtering system, you need to know that special attention needs to be applied to attaching the bottling wand into the bottling adapter.  There will be an apparent stopping point, but you need to push the wand in a few more centimeters.  It will leak if you do not shove it in the final few centimeters.  This should not be an issue if you are kegging since that pesky bottling adapter will not be in use.

Happy brewing.  😀

Thag,

I actually purchased a 3-tap kegerator from Kegco as a Xmas present to myself. I haven’t set it up yet but it has two perlick and one nitro tap. Very much contemplating doing this red ale on nitro but don’t want to throw too much at my first brew.

In regards to kegging, I purchased that small metal adapter from iKegger for racking from the dry hop filter.

Cheers 🍻

At about 24 hours, the krausen has begun its attempt to take over my kitchen and I’m not mad about it one bit!

Due to failed and sub-optimal past batches prior to the droid, I was planning on making a yeast starter (I even bought a stir plate, flask and propper). But, I scanned through this forum and on a couple different threads, I read about how you all love how plug and play the droid is and how a starter is not necessary. I’d say, by judging how quickly and vigorously this brew has taken off, a starter would have been complete overkill.

I love how cool and quick you all are to reply and am happy to be part of the community. I’ll keep you all posted as this Irish Red evolves.

Cheers 🍻

5B65ACC7-C495-46D5-931A-B5121D83F995.jpeg

• Like 1

On 02/01/2023 at 7:37 PM, Maverick33 said:

At about 24 hours, the krausen has begun its attempt to take over my kitchen and I’m not mad about it one bit!

Due to failed and sub-optimal past batches prior to the droid, I was planning on making a yeast starter (I even bought a stir plate, flask and propper). But, I scanned through this forum and on a couple different threads, I read about how you all love how plug and play the droid is and how a starter is not necessary. I’d say, by judging how quickly and vigorously this brew has taken off, a starter would have been complete overkill.

I love how cool and quick you all are to reply and am happy to be part of the community. I’ll keep you all posted as this Irish Red evolves.

Cheers 🍻

5B65ACC7-C495-46D5-931A-B5121D83F995.jpeg

Hi, @Maverick33.

I see you are getting a vigorous krausen.  One way to mitigate the overflow is to tape an open plastic bag right under the escape slit so that the overflow is caught.  However, a washable towel is fine, too.  I'm glad you are enjoying your brewing.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

Hi, @Maverick33.

I see you are getting a vigorous krausen.  One way to mitigate the overflow is to tape an open plastic bag right under the escape slit so that the overflow is caught.  However, a washable towel is fine, too.  I'm glad you are enjoying your brewing.

Cheers.

Hey @Thagomizer,

I will definitely remember that for next time. It had already solidified once I noticed and it was a bit of a pain to get off.

Unfortunately,

I already had my first system error about an hour ago. The E1 temperature error. My droid is filled up past the 10l mark. I pressed continue as the manual instructed but it appears that the unit is no longer cooling unfortunately. I’ll give a call to BrewArt customer service tomorrow. Real bummer as this thing is a week old and on its first brew…

199FBE04-A22D-4CD6-AEE7-C2F6F3EDF979.jpeg

0895810A-F80E-48CC-9CBD-5A8E8DB5CF6A.png

13 hours ago, Maverick33 said:

Hey @Thagomizer,

I will definitely remember that for next time. It had already solidified once I noticed and it was a bit of a pain to get off.

Unfortunately,

I already had my first system error about an hour ago. The E1 temperature error. My droid is filled up past the 10l mark. I pressed continue as the manual instructed but it appears that the unit is no longer cooling unfortunately. I’ll give a call to BrewArt customer service tomorrow. Real bummer as this thing is a week old and on its first brew…

199FBE04-A22D-4CD6-AEE7-C2F6F3EDF979.jpeg

0895810A-F80E-48CC-9CBD-5A8E8DB5CF6A.png

@Maverick33,

I'm sorry to find you're having the temperature error. 😒

BrewArt will make it right.  Can you finish the current batch in an alternate vessel?  It won't be temperature controlled, but it should be drinkable.  I've made many a batch at room temperature.

3 minutes ago, Thagomizer said:

@Maverick33,

I'm sorry to find you're having the temperature error. 😒

BrewArt will make it right.  Can you finish the current batch in an alternate vessel?  It won't be temperature controlled, but it should be drinkable.  I've made many a batch at room temperature.

@Thagomizer,

Not sure if this was due to the repeated temperature errors or not but the droid signaled that it was done fermenting this morning. Still have the repeated temperature errors. I did start another thread and mentioned the BrewArt Team. Hopefully they will get back to me by Monday. You think I should transfer to a keg and store in my kegerator for now?

2 hours ago, Maverick33 said:

@Thagomizer,

Not sure if this was due to the repeated temperature errors or not but the droid signaled that it was done fermenting this morning. Still have the repeated temperature errors. I did start another thread and mentioned the BrewArt Team. Hopefully they will get back to me by Monday. You think I should transfer to a keg and store in my kegerator for now?

@Maverick33,

The BeerDroid has at least two temperature sensors - one high and one low.  The difference between them indicates whether brewing is complete.  It may be that your brew is complete.  Have you checked the SG?  Somewhere around 1.01 or less should indicate completion.  Also, a taste test may tell you something.  If the SG and taste seem favorable, I would keg it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Thagomizer,

I haven’t only because I don’t have a hydrometer. Included it with the initial starter kit I sold prior to getting my droid. I’ll go pick one up at my local HBS tomorrow. Being that my ambient temp is usually in the mid-high 60’s F, I’m sure it shouldn’t be too detrimental to keep in the droid in the meantime. Would be like a diacetyl rest if it really is done fermenting.

As always, thanks for the advice!

1 hour ago, Maverick33 said:

@Thagomizer,

I haven’t only because I don’t have a hydrometer. Included it with the initial starter kit I sold prior to getting my droid. I’ll go pick one up at my local HBS tomorrow. Being that my ambient temp is usually in the mid-high 60’s F, I’m sure it shouldn’t be too detrimental to keep in the droid in the meantime. Would be like a diacetyl rest if it really is done fermenting.

As always, thanks for the advice!

@Maverick33,

Consider getting a Tilt electronic hydrometer/thermometer.  It is kind of pricey and the thermometer function is redundant for a properly working BeerDroid.  I like the hydrometer function since I have difficulty reading a floating hydrometer through the inevitable foam.  Also, you don't have to draw a sample for testing.  I have two Tilts - one for each BeerDroid and the info transmitted to my iPhone via Bluetooth is reassuring.  Each Tilt is a floating cylinder that transmits easily through the BeerDroid.

It is disconcerting to see a new member starting off with an equipment problem but rest assured that BrewArt support is excellent.

Cheers.  😀

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

@Maverick33,

Consider getting a Tilt electronic hydrometer/thermometer.  It is kind of pricey and the thermometer function is redundant for a properly working BeerDroid.  I like the hydrometer function since I have difficulty reading a floating hydrometer through the inevitable foam.  Also, you don't have to draw a sample for testing.  I have two Tilts - one for each BeerDroid and the info transmitted to my iPhone via Bluetooth is reassuring.  Each Tilt is a floating cylinder that transmits easily through the BeerDroid.

It is disconcerting to see a new member starting off with an equipment problem but rest assured that BrewArt support is excellent.

Cheers.  😀

@Thagomizer,

I don’t know whether to love or hate you now 😂. I am a sucker for cool tech so as soon as you suggested the Tilt, I started researching. $270 later, a Tilt Pro will be here tomorrow. I know it may be overkill but I figured it wouldn’t hurt either.

The whole error situation sucks but I believe you when you say BrewArt will take care of me. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maverick33 said:

@Thagomizer,

I don’t know whether to love or hate you now 😂. I am a sucker for cool tech so as soon as you suggested the Tilt, I started researching. $270 later, a Tilt Pro will be here tomorrow. I know it may be overkill but I figured it wouldn’t hurt either.

The whole error situation sucks but I believe you when you say BrewArt will take care of me. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

@Maverick33,

I see that we both are afflicted by the Gadgeteer's Addiction Syndrome.  I only have the Tilt 2's, so you have upped the game by ordering the Tilt Pro.  I see that it can be used with stainless steel fermenters.  You may also want to order the tool to open it and change the battery in a few years.  Although you can throw in the Tilt immediately when starting a brewprint, its reading will be meaningless until the powdered elements and enhancers dissolve.  All-liquid worts will provide an initial SG.

I see from your posted droid's display that you are using Fahrenheit temperature settings.  This probably means you are in the USA.  I live in Texas.  I have found that BrewArt support in the USA is best by email.  I hope you get a quick resolution to your BeerDroid issue.

Happy brewing. 😀

• Like 2

On 8/1/2023 at 11:38 PM, Thagomizer said:

@Maverick33,

I see that we both are afflicted by the Gadgeteer's Addiction Syndrome.  I only have the Tilt 2's, so you have upped the game by ordering the Tilt Pro.  I see that it can be used with stainless steel fermenters.  You may also want to order the tool to open it and change the battery in a few years.  Although you can throw in the Tilt immediately when starting a brewprint, its reading will be meaningless until the powdered elements and enhancers dissolve.  All-liquid worts will provide an initial SG.

I see from your posted droid's display that you are using Fahrenheit temperature settings.  This probably means you are in the USA.  I live in Texas.  I have found that BrewArt support in the USA is best by email.  I hope you get a quick resolution to your BeerDroid issue.

Happy brewing. 😀

@Thagomizer,

Hahaha, yeah know any good Gadgateer’s Anonymous programs? 😂

Good call, I live in California. I reached out via email and they have been awesome so far. They sent out a box to send the droid back for diagnostics. The Red Ale is at 12 days and I would have kegged it already but I have been out of town for a golf trip. I’m planning on kegging tomorrow and getting the Droid sent back by Saturday.

On 13/01/2023 at 5:33 AM, Maverick33 said:

@Thagomizer,

Hahaha, yeah know any good Gadgateer’s Anonymous programs? 😂

Good call, I live in California. I reached out via email and they have been awesome so far. They sent out a box to send the droid back for diagnostics. The Red Ale is at 12 days and I would have kegged it already but I have been out of town for a golf trip. I’m planning on kegging tomorrow and getting the Droid sent back by Saturday.

@Maverick33,

Glad to hear you are getting action from BrewArt.  They will make it right.

As to GA programs, I've not heard of any.  I'm not even sure if I'm ready to be rescued.

Keep in touch and 😀 happy brewing.