Irish Red

FE8C826A-4232-4A16-9E9F-53819A7835D4.thumb.jpeg.c94d421d2009d058f8231b08b0e663f4.jpeg

Very good, though like the Coopers Dark Ale I think it will be even better at 3 months.

Awesome colour. I’d like to dry hop next time a little like the Revolution Dark Lager to assist with head retention and for a bit of aroma. Say 20g or so in a hop ball.

@Captain 3 Droids  which hop pellet do you think would compliment this one?

24 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

EC5A5C0C-39A9-4C9B-BEE5-B777DA380FA0.thumb.jpeg.f1a1e481cd07e4cb4581896c0bec7531.jpeg

Very good, though like the Coopers Dark Ale I think it will be even better at 3 months.

Awesome colour. I’d like to dry hop next time a little like the Revolution Dark Lager to assist with head retention and for a bit of aroma. Say 20g or so in a hop ball.

@Captain 3 Droids  which hop pellet do you think would compliment this one?

The Amarillo at 20g is great with 10g galaxy. I know you like your hops but this one is great if not over powered.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Irish Red hopped with 35g of Centennial and Simcoe. This is interesting, great colour, not super hoppy, nice bitter after taste. Not heavy like some hopped IPA's, very light body. Could really session on this. Bugger piss head Sunday. Could be a piss head Friday night 😊🍻.

IMG_20211112_182522573.jpg

IMG_20211112_182641607.jpg

Edited by Robert Pretty
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Irish Red hopped with 35g of Centennial and Simcoe. This is interesting, great colour, not super hoppy, nice bitter after taste. Not heavy like some hopped IPA's, very light body. Could really session on this. Bugger piss head Sunday. Could be a piss head Friday night 😊🍻.

IMG_20211112_182522573.jpg

IMG_20211112_182641607.jpg

Looks good. I may have to give this one another go and use your hop combination some time.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/2/22 at 7:32 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Have not this one for ages, in the Droid today. Although the recipe doesn’t call for any dry hops I’m going to give it 20g of Styrian Gold on day 5.

Just tapped after 14 weeks. Delicious in flavour and the 20g of Styrian hops have added mouthfeel and a smooth bitter finish. It has matured well.

2 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

At 9 weeks, just superb. coffee, chocolate, smooth finish. Delightful drink, great looking ale, redish hue, creamy head…

5B9F7889-F9B4-4CA1-9226-EB6C922D0ACF.thumb.jpeg.0f35d73e763297c6cc096f80ec102836.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.b5e21a6686e1449bfaf72867c4379675.jpg

Looks scrumptious.   Have been very curious about this one 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Wolf said:

Just started this one and changed my ISP (and wifi) so I have to actually go outside to check the droid like a savage.

Curious to see if I get overflow given the Y2 - is that a Nottingham ale yeast or similar?

Y2 = T-58 yeast. Suitable mainly for British and Belgium style brews. Good with wheat based recipes as well.

”The right phenolic yeast for English & Belgian-style ales. Specialty brewer's yeast selected for its strong fermentation character, intense fruity and phenolic flavors – especially banana, clove and peppery notes. Suitable for a great variety of wheat-base beers and fruity-spicy oriented styles.”

On 11/08/2022 at 7:51 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Y2 = T-58 yeast. Suitable mainly for British and Belgium style brews. Good with wheat based recipes as well.

”The right phenolic yeast for English & Belgian-style ales. Specialty brewer's yeast selected for its strong fermentation character, intense fruity and phenolic flavors – especially banana, clove and peppery notes. Suitable for a great variety of wheat-base beers and fruity-spicy oriented styles.”

Literally the yeast I used for my dunkel/abbey hybrid, didn't overflow on that at high temp but did on the Polski chocolate porter at low temps. Weird.

Hopefully this brew finishes quickly, I'm having separation anxiety due to being unable to monitor it remotely.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Thanks Rob. Sorry. My question was a bit indirect. I’ll try again. 

im wondering specifically about carbonation. Im assuming this red (and the four leaf you referred to) is a similarity to Kilkenny (and guinness respectively) in relation to carbonation and so wondering when I keg/bottle the red (and eventually the four leaf) that I don’t carbonate and simply serve from the keg/bottle after conditioning time is up?

thanks

On 14/5/2022 at 8:43 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Just tapped after 14 weeks. Delicious in flavour and the 20g of Styrian hops have added mouthfeel and a smooth bitter finish. It has matured well.

At what point did you dry hop with the 20g Of Styrian? I just started my Irish Red last night and was surprised to find no hops at all. Although this is my first brew with the droid, I have done about a dozen extract batches and not once have I not put hops in a beer.

One thing is for sure, this droid is badass! 12 hours in and fermentation has started. I haven’t been so happy to get a push notification in a long time!

3D906A54-98B7-4B29-B0E8-91644D3E6EE0.png

• Like 1

Geno,

The Irish Red Ale brewprint does not expect any additional hops.  If you had programed it for dry hopping, the droid would alert you when to add the dry hops.  This would have required a "custom" setting and you would need to enter the temperatures and set the dry-hop slider to yes.  As it is, I would recommend adding the hops at about 5 days.  Then when the droid says it is finished, set it to "store" mode for a day or two.  This will "cold crash" the brew and help settle the hops debris to the bottom.  This would be automatic if the dry-hop slider had been set to yes.  This setting is assumed on brewprint programs that include dry hops.

Now, comes the question of filtering out the dry hops at kegging/bottling time.  There are several options:

• Buy the BrewArt filter but order the fine mesh cylinder from Bouncer.  (My preference)
  • Use a "hop bomb" (closed SS screen container for the hops).  This is the preferred method by @Eltham Brewing House
  • Put the hops in a clean muslin bag (weighted down with a few SS ball bearings.)  This is @Captain 3 Droids 's preferred method.

Successful cold crashing almost eliminates the need for the above filtering techniques.

😀 Happy brewing.

• Thanks 1