Irish Red

@Rob Courtney have you tried this yet mate . 3 months in the keg for this one and OMFG ( sorry for sounding like a 15 year old school girl haha ) . But this had a great profile, a nice honey sweetness to some of the red/scotch ales i have had previously in brewery beers and still holds a wicked creamy head . I did guzzle the first one in like 5 minutes so when i actually taste the next one ( or the one after that i can give more tasting notes ) . And for 17 bucks i think its my favourite , even more then the CPA that i dry hopped.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I have not made many notes. A rule of thumb for me is around the 6-8 week mark for most of the beers i like , especially the higher alcohol ones , or ones i have mucked around with hops etc, i find they just mellow out a bit . That is a good idea though . Maybe we can add that as a page to the top ten brews @Barrelboy, maybe do the same set up with all the beers and preferred secondary time. As you said Nick it is very subjective though, just might help find a middle ground . I usually keg 5 litres and bottle the other 5 so i sample all the way through haha . 

Will say if you plan on using the coopers plastic bottles dont plan for a long age, the flavors develop but the carbonation goes , had issues with them so i am into glass now

Edited by Paul84

It is subjective and I believe the method used to carbonate and store the final product does have bearing. I think there is a difference in maturing etc with PET bottles vs glass bottles vs BrewArt kegs vs ss kegs in addition to the carbonation method, BrewArt primer vs sugar vs sucrose drops vs dextrose vs malt vs co2 gas etc.. so I’m not sure with all the variables whether the information would help in any great degree. As stated 6 to 8 weeks seems to be the general consensus.

in addition, if patient enough the 2, 3, 4, etc week test as discussed in another thread would help individual assessments.

16 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

It is subjective and I believe the method used to carbonate and store the final product does have bearing. I think there is a difference in maturing etc with PET bottles vs glass bottles vs BrewArt kegs vs ss kegs in addition to the carbonation method, BrewArt primer vs sugar vs sucrose drops vs dextrose vs malt vs co2 gas etc..

Thank you both. I wasn't aware of this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paul84 said:

@Rob Courtney have you tried this yet mate . 3 months in the keg for this one and OMFG ( sorry for sounding like a 15 year old school girl haha ) . But this had a great profile, a nice honey sweetness to some of the red/scotch ales i have had previously in brewery beers and still holds a wicked creamy head . I did guzzle the first one in like 5 minutes so when i actually taste the next one ( or the one after that i can give more tasting notes ) . And for 17 bucks i think its my favourite , even more then the CPA that i dry hopped.

I still have about 13 brews in stock ( really have to stock take) so I think I'm about 3 or 4 months away from needing an order but that is good news with the red ale. I have been looking at my brewing lately and have moved my Pilsners drinking into Crown Seal and consuming between 4-7 weeks. Eventually,  will get some more Glass bottles (currently at about 150) and do some ales in them to sit but in the meantime, next order I will get a few ales and put those just in kegs so I can let them sit and enjoy them through the Flow, a red ale on tap sounds good but so does a Four leaf.

• 7 months later...
9 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Putting this one down today. Asked the wife which beer she wanted brewed next and she chose this from my list of ingredients.

Based on @Paul84's 15 year-old schoolgirl review 😆 I'll plan to leave it in secondary for 8 - 12 weeks. I guess the wife will be waiting a while to enjoy it.

I was like wow the 15yo comment was a bit low .... but i read my review and OMFG 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

I am still sticking to my statement though . A great beer that held all the way through until I ran out of it 🤣. I really do have to start brewing full time again ( i have been really really lazy since xmas ) 

Get back into your brewing routine, an empty Droid is a Droid in waste. To start just do some simple brews you like. Might I suggest the English Pub Draught, German Weissbier or Coopers Sparkling Ale where you don’t have to worry about dry hopping.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

To start just do some simple brews you like. Might I suggest the English Pub Draught, German Weissbier or Coopers Sparkling Ale where you don’t have to worry about dry hopping.

That’s a good suggestion. Not that the dry hopping process is overly taxing, but I am looking forward to a simpler brew this week.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Get back into your brewing routine, an empty Droid is a Droid in waste. To start just do some simple brews you like. Might I suggest the English Pub Draught, German Weissbier or Coopers Sparkling Ale where you don’t have to worry about dry hopping.

Its not the complexity of brewing I am struggling with.  Its time management, with Christmas, working through, a new Caravan to test out and my Niece visiting for the school holidays I havent had much time to scratch myself let alone brew beers( lucky i have a stockpile albeit dwindling 🤣

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Primary fermentation complete in 6 days for this one. A nice simple brew.

Kegged this morning and set the secondary fermentation timer for 10 weeks on the first keg. I suspect this one will be at its best at closer to 3 months just like the Coopers Dark Ale.

Cool, gives us a bit of feedback when you try this, keen to give it a go

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...