Beerdroid Reviews

As you can only review once on the main Beerdroid information site I thought I start up ongoing reviews to assist those contemplating purchasing a unit. ( please note, I have no affiliation with Coopers or Brewart other than a customer and user of their products)

I’m on my 14th Brew now with a little over an hour between brews for kegging, cleaning, sanitising and new brew preparation. (Not much of a rest). Every brew has been just such a great success and with delicious outcomes. Whether an ale, lager or custom mode recipe the process and brewing control is excellent. 

• 1 month later...

Well I think the unit is that good (about 20 brews now including a few Coopers kit/Brewprint ingredients) that I’ve ordered another one from the Father’s Day special promotion. ($100 off and free shipping) - Rob Courtney played a part in this decision, 🤗 have to blame someone to swmbo.

Can’t wait and will be putting my normal plastic fermenters away.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Well I think the unit is that good (about 20 brews now including a few Coopers kit/Brewprint ingredients) that I’ve ordered another one from the Father’s Day special promotion. ($100 off and free shipping) - Rob Courtney played a part in this decision, 🤗 have to blame someone to swmbo.

Can’t wait and will be putting my normal plastic fermenters away.

Well done!! Whilst I cant comment on the quality of my brews so far as they are still in secondary, in terms of function, footprint and fun I am thus far enjoying the droid. And despite what some brew friends say It doesn’t lock me into just brewprints and extracts and I am happy with a 10-12 litre output. The only thing I didnt like was the rubbish tap (red seal) which died after brew number 2. However I had already received my replacement tap (with white translucent seal) from Liam so there was no interruption to my brewing (excellent support I might add). As some know I also have a Brewflow and time will tell with how it goes. I dummied up a water keg with it last weekend and whilst it worked I did have a leak in the line (a common problem apparently so some diy prior to install is called for else your keg can start emptying into the Brewflo). Also seems like many have issues with too much foaming with mixed opinions as to whether it is the flow, carbonation or handling of the keg during setup. Cheers Terry

44 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Well done!! Whilst I cant comment on the quality of my brews so far as they are still in secondary, in terms of function, footprint and fun I am thus far enjoying the droid. And despite what some brew friends say It doesn’t lock me into just brewprints and extracts and I am happy with a 10-12 litre output. The only thing I didnt like was the rubbish tap (red seal) which died after brew number 2. However I had already received my replacement tap (with white translucent seal) from Liam so there was no interruption to my brewing (excellent support I might add). As some know I also have a Brewflow and time will tell with how it goes. I dummied up a water keg with it last weekend and whilst it worked I did have a leak in the line (a common problem apparently so some diy prior to install is called for else your keg can start emptying into the Brewflo). Also seems like many have issues with too much foaming with mixed opinions as to whether it is the flow, carbonation or handling of the keg during setup. Cheers Terry

Good comments and smart to do some keg trials for the Beerflo. I think Rob is fairly up to speed with those units and hasn’t reported any leak issues. He may well comment about that.

Your right about brew friends and others not understanding that any wort can be used in the droid. Bought wort, all grain wort, any kit wort etc. This doesn’t restrict the unit and makes it versatile. There was even an official reviewer when first released that stated that the Droid was restricted to just the Brewprints.

I don’t have/use a breerflo but I understand that the cradle for the droid does help and filling the keg in the upside down position has better results in the Beerflo pour.

Regards Mark

14 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Good comments and smart to do some keg trials for the Beerflo. I think Rob is fairly up to speed with those units and hasn’t reported any leak issues. He may well comment about that.

Your right about brew friends and others not understanding that any wort can be used in the droid. Bought wort, all grain wort, any kit wort etc. This doesn’t restrict the unit and makes it versatile. There was even an official reviewer when first released that stated that the Droid was restricted to just the Brewprints.

I don’t have/use a breerflo but I understand that the cradle for the droid does help and filling the keg in the upside down position has better results in the Beerflo pour.

Regards Mark

.... the cradle helps when you remember to invert the keg...🙈

• Upvote 2

Rennce, I have had no issues with the Flo. I had issues getting the kegs right to begin with and did make the mistake of trying to take off the collar on the keg ( only do that once). As far as people getting too much foam, I have drunk maybe 30 kegs now and one or two of them started out a little foam heavy ( the type of glass I was using may not of helped, the pint glass I have now is better, one I was using before was maybe 320mls). When I say foam heavy, it was 50/50, I switched the flo off, poured my next couple of pints and all good.

I do cool the keg in the flo where most others keep a couple of kegs in the fridge and just move them over and connect, so maybe it doesn't have time to settle that way...I don't know. I can say that I can't speak highly enough of the Flo, it works really well, I mean, it's biggest failing is its lack of portability, where say an I Kegger could be transported to a BBQ

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Rennce, I have had no issues with the Flo. I had issues getting the kegs right to begin with and did make the mistake of trying to take off the collar on the keg ( only do that once). As far as people getting too much foam, I have drunk maybe 30 kegs now and one or two of them started out a little foam heavy ( the type of glass I was using may not of helped, the pint glass I have now is better, one I was using before was maybe 320mls). When I say foam heavy, it was 50/50, I switched the flo off, poured my next couple of pints and all good.

I do cool the keg in the flo where most others keep a couple of kegs in the fridge and just move them over and connect, so maybe it doesn't have time to settle that way...I don't know. I can say that I can't speak highly enough of the Flo, it works really well, I mean, it's biggest failing is its lack of portability, where say an I Kegger could be transported to a BBQ

Hi Rob. Good to hear you have had no issues with the flo, and I am really looking forward to giving Mine a workout (still a few weeks away as I am giving the brew a month in secondary fermentation). Have you had any leaking keg lines? At some stage I will also be running the flo off our generator at our shack so will let you know how that goes (as it makes the flo kinda portable). Cheers Terry

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rennce said:

Hi Rob. Good to hear you have had no issues with the flo, and I am really looking forward to giving Mine a workout (still a few weeks away as I am giving the brew a month in secondary fermentation). Have you had any leaking keg lines? At some stage I will also be running the flo off our generator at our shack so will let you know how that goes (as it makes the flo kinda portable). Cheers Terry

When I put the keg line in, I check it to see that both ends have ties on it and then push the tubes onto the coil a bit, never had an issue

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

I can see a third droid becoming a serious threat in my house.

Sure, there needs to be space, sure I need some more kegs but I can see a time where I convert my shed into a mini brewery

They are out of stock at the moment with an offer of $100 deposit for back order plus your choice of 3 Brewprints. To be honest 2 droids are good as long as sons/friends don’t indulge, puts you well behind. Not being a sting or anything just means an old fermenter has to come out to catch up on stock?

But 3 droids, more kegs......mmmm... stop it Rob!

3 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

In the lounge room next to your chair? 🛋

I have this massive room which incorporates the kitchen and lounge, when I say massive, that room is bigger than the house I grew up in. I set the flo up in the kitchen area thinking " how good is this" and after switching it on had to go " yeah, be moving this before I'm asked".

In saying this, I am going to redo the laundry, where the set up is, so some planning will go on to see how I fit in an ever growing brewing empire :)

Sounds good, the laundry is pretty large tbh so I had space in there to put up a table and two shelving units. In time when I finally stop putting it off the plan is to section off some of the laundry for another bathroom and then design the rest properly so I can put in shelving units and bench space, the plan being enough bench space for extra brews and cupboards just for kegs and bottles.

• Thanks 1

My Droid is in the second bathroom and I set the flo up as and when needed. We do have a few spare rooms but I am hesitant to brew where there is carpet. The Droid needs to move from the bathroom as a) It is not the ideal location and b) the summer son on the glass door makes the Droid work that little harder.  I am thinking of moving the Droid to a spare storage room (once power is fitted) or the carport storage room. Laundry might be an option but I will need to do quite a bot of DIY....

• 4 months later...
On 06/11/2019 at 9:32 AM, Rennce said:

My Droid is in the second bathroom and I set the flo up as and when needed. We do have a few spare rooms but I am hesitant to brew where there is carpet. The Droid needs to move from the bathroom as a) It is not the ideal location and b) the summer son on the glass door makes the Droid work that little harder.  I am thinking of moving the Droid to a spare storage room (once power is fitted) or the carport storage room. Laundry might be an option but I will need to do quite a bot of DIY....

Did you get around to moving it? How’s your brewing going?

• 5 months later...
On 07/09/2020 at 12:52 PM, Barrelboy said:

Time for an update. Now running 3 droids.

First - 58 brews; Second - 41 and Third 33. Units are paying for themselves nicely and “touch wood” have been operating without fault nor rest other than the hour of kegging, cleaning, sanitising and fresh recipe in.

Great units, great results from any wort used. 

They sure are a brilliant unit and prove that temperature control is the critical link between just ok and fantastic beer brewed at home.

I'd really like to get hold of another Droid. Sadly I won't have the space for a while.

12 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

They sure are a brilliant unit and prove that temperature control is the critical link between just ok and fantastic beer brewed at home.

I'd really like to get hold of another Droid. Sadly I won't have the space for a while.

Sadly I won't have the space for a while.”. Throw the microwave out😂😁

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

I also own no stock in the company and was the reluctant recipient of one of these systems for Christmas.   I’m skeptical and stingy by nature.  

now on my third brew and I couldn’t be more satisfied with the quality of the gear, the ease of use, the variety of brew prints, the after purchase service has been fabulous and other than a few hiccups expected with any new hobby DIY venture I’m pleased to say this is indeed a great way to go.   

cons: 10L are a little bit small volume batches and 5L kegs as well.  Price is a bit of sticker shock

pros: I’m making my own beer which is 10x more satisfying than buying piss at the bottlo. It’s an adventure and I’m learning a lot about brewing, yeasts, fermentation and much more. 

Add to it the online forum with you lot of cool peeps and I’d have to say I completely recommend it.   

can you do it all for less? Sure.  

do I regret a dollar spent?  Not a bit. 

in fact, my latest debate is:  how many kegs are enough, and don’t know who is more mad genius, the guy with three droids or the one with two droids and two brewflos!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, J P said:

I also own no stock in the company and was the reluctant recipient of one of these systems for Christmas.   I’m skeptical and stingy by nature.  

now on my third brew and I couldn’t be more satisfied with the quality of the gear, the ease of use, the variety of brew prints, the after purchase service has been fabulous and other than a few hiccups expected with any new hobby DIY venture I’m pleased to say this is indeed a great way to go.   

cons: 10L are a little bit small volume batches and 5L kegs as well.  Price is a bit of sticker shock

pros: I’m making my own beer which is 10x more satisfying than buying piss at the bottlo. It’s an adventure and I’m learning a lot about brewing, yeasts, fermentation and much more. 

Add to it the online forum with you lot of cool peeps and I’d have to say I completely recommend it.   

can you do it all for less? Sure.  

do I regret a dollar spent?  Not a bit. 

in fact, my latest debate is:  how many kegs are enough, and don’t know who is more mad genius, the guy with three droids or the one with two droids and two brewflos!

Great review @J P and welcome to the tragic's club.

I only have the one Beerdroid (I quite like that it's 10 litres) but am likely to get another one day. I also have only the one Brewflo.

I have a LOT of kegs though. Keep an eye out for the $40 keg refill pack special. 🤩

Mate.  How many kegs is enough? 

I know that’s a never ending debate but I reckon at least 6.   

they’ve been out of the kegs for weeks and likely it’ll be weeks more. 

in desperation I bought two stainless steel 5L growlers so I can at least keep producing.   I prefer the BrewFlo as a mode of dispensing to bottles.  Nothing like tapping your own brew into a frosty mug.  

:-). I’m hooked.  

• Upvote 1