Narci-Citrus

Paul84

Hey Guys and Girls , 

Just speared the first keg of the Narci-Citrus brew. Anyone done this brewprints ? Thoughts of the flavor profile . I am at 4 weeks of second fermentation and might leave the second keg for another 2 weeks atleast . I am not really getting an IPA kind of profile to the beer , more like a carlton dry with a hop hit . Do have almost a banana sweetness though , so unsure if thats normal . 

20191016_182349.jpg

On 16/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, Paul84 said:

Hey Guys and Girls , 

Just speared the first keg of the Narci-Citrus brew. Anyone done this brewprints ? Thoughts of the flavor profile . I am at 4 weeks of second fermentation and might leave the second keg for another 2 weeks atleast . I am not really getting an IPA kind of profile to the beer , more like a carlton dry with a hop hit . Do have almost a banana sweetness though , so unsure if thats normal . 

20191016_182349.jpg

Looks nice Paul. Haven’t done this one and from the ingredients and recipe profile this is a strong brew. The banana taste, could this be the sweet caramel/malt flavour you are meant to experience? The hops should be providing a citrus boost with a touch of passion fruit.

As it is a strong brew 7.5% time should mellow it. If you could hold on for say 8 weeks in the keg you should experience quite a difference however that can be hard to do.

Cheers Mark

Yeah I think a few more weeks on the sidelines wont hurt it . Might hurt me lol . The Ruby Porter I have can be kegged as of next week so maybe will be able to give that one a go. Reading up on the Banana flavors it could be Esters , and apparently hot fermentation . Secondary fermentation for me is in a back bedroom 23 degrees , that apparently is hot enough for the "hot fermentation" . Where do you store yours @Barrelboy

7 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah I think a few more weeks on the sidelines wont hurt it . Might hurt me lol . The Ruby Porter I have can be kegged as of next week so maybe will be able to give that one a go. Reading up on the Banana flavors it could be Esters , and apparently hot fermentation . Secondary fermentation for me is in a back bedroom 23 degrees , that apparently is hot enough for the "hot fermentation" . Where do you store yours @Barrelboy

It is highly unlikely that you would have serious ester problems, to be honest when I was bottling (glass) they would carbonate in milk crates in the corner of a room where in Adelaide heat waves the ambient temperature in the room would be around 36C + . Never had an issue. Having said that high alcohol beers tend to lend themselves to esters  however will dissipate overtime and why 8 weeks + is a better start to drinking. (My kegs sit on shelving in the “beer room”)

So the banana could be “Esters” but I wouldn’t be worried. Remember the recipe profile states having a sweetness about it

Cheers mate . Yeah i think some more ageing will be good . Its a learning process , this is only the first keg I have sampled on my Brewart journey. I also wanted to do this at 4 weeks to see the flavor profile difference . I tried when kegging and i can drastically taste the change . When kegging I had almost a wine taste ( very fermented fruit flavours) which I was assuming came from the High ABV % . That has softened ( its still there but in the background, which is why I feel like I am getting more of a lagery alcohol taste but the fruity hoppy notes ) . I think i was expecting more bitters in it and that might shine in a few weeks time . 

Cheers for being a regular contributor to this community though , i want to try to share my journey too so other people can see what flavors I am getting and can be compared , homebrew is always something that can create doubt , i will say I had doubt when trying the IPA out of the beerdroid because it didnt even taste like beer haha . Glad it has softened with age and more age will hopefully help again 🙂

• Thanks 1

No problems with sharing the brewing journey, that is what it is all about. Remember this is a 7.5% ipa you have done and therefore it does need to mellow. From what you have said you are well on the way. It it good to taste every now again to note the improvements and to workout a good time for best consumption. Rob on here often kegs 5l and bottles 5 so he can sample a bottle or two as time goes on. 
Any issues/concerns or just general talk is always welcome. 

9 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah my next step is to get myself some bottles. Not sure what to go to for bottles but that will be next brew of IPA maybe 🙂

Coopers Pet bottles are good to store beer for 12mths (but I wouldn’t pass 6mths which is long enough) however glass is great for long term storage and stouts (seems to store and pour better in glass). The Pet ones are easy to fill, no need for a capper and crown seals, easy to clean and sanitise. (Also they bounce if dropped 😳)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Awesome mate , yeah I was thinking about buying a kit from the store next time I buy a brewprint, need more kegs too lol 

Ha, we all need more kegs..... more ....more. Don’t worry once your settled in Rob and I will talk you into a second droid! It’s a must. At the moment I’m doing Brewprints in one and Coopers kits, mixture of kit and brewprint ingredients and recipe trials in the other. 

Ok team , just as an update on this keg adventure . I have just come off night shift so that keg didnt move for 5 days . I will say I am enjoying what I am pouring today . They hoppy bitters flavors feel like they are coming in , it now tastes like an IPA , still has a sweetness behind it. The flavors are marrying up where the first sample it was like 2 beers in one glass . I think for anyone trying this try to push second fermentation as long as possible like @Barrelboy suggested . I have 1 more keg i think i may leave for another 4-6 weeks just to see if it makes a flavor difference . 

1 hour ago, Paul84 said:

Ok team , just as an update on this keg adventure . I have just come off night shift so that keg didnt move for 5 days . I will say I am enjoying what I am pouring today . They hoppy bitters flavors feel like they are coming in , it now tastes like an IPA , still has a sweetness behind it. The flavors are marrying up where the first sample it was like 2 beers in one glass . I think for anyone trying this try to push second fermentation as long as possible like @Barrelboy suggested . I have 1 more keg i think i may leave for another 4-6 weeks just to see if it makes a flavor difference . 

Glad it’s turned out well, wait till your into the next keg, a further 4-6 weeks should make it a ripper.

So noticed today that the second keg has some beer that has escaped from the liner , looked in the beerflo and the current keg has some escaped beer too . I am thinking 5 litres might be too much for the liners , will maybe fill the next one with 4- 4.5l of beer before second fermenting ? Thoughts of this ? Also getting very foamy beer so assuming that the liner might be getting air into it . 

Only 1 on perforated liners which is why I think its happened. I would say because its a high ABV its had a good second fementation . Lots of CO2 its expected i guess. Will just fill the liners slightly less next time. Not deterring me lol . Picture of leaked beer 🙂 and heady glass lol 

20191023_140740.jpg

20191023_155744.jpg

• 2 months later...

Second brew of this out of the droid yesterday 🙂 . Was a great drop though loved to pull a head , intrigued to see how it will go this time 😄 . Will get atleast 4 weeks as I go away in 3 weeks 🙂 . Gonna have so many beers to enjoy on my return 

• 2 months later...

So today finished the last of the amber ale 😭😭😭. But in good news got to throw a keg of this bad boy into the brewflo.  I still think it has a very caramel/banana taste , and I think it kicks ass. I can envision this holding up to some of my favorite IPA's , especially the milkshake series by 3 ravens ( if I was to throw some lactose in this 🤯🤯🤯) . At 9 weeks not as hoppy as I remember so maybe ages works well for this one 🙂

• 1 month later...