• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys

Very interesting thread and just dipping my toe in the water with brewing, a couple of questions.

Can you use those stainless hop bombs in the droid or not a good idea to use metal in the droid?

Cold crashing the brew in the droid how and when can you do that in the droid? It seems to be after fermentation has finished and does it really improve clarity?

Cheers

28 minutes ago, Mick said:

Hi guys

Very interesting thread and just dipping my toe in the water with brewing, a couple of questions.

Can you use those stainless hop bombs in the droid or not a good idea to use metal in the droid?

Cold crashing the brew in the droid how and when can you do that in the droid? It seems to be after fermentation has finished and does it really improve clarity?

Cheers

I use the stainless hop bombs and swear by them. Remember to sanitize well prior. Remove the droid lid carefully and ease the bomb into wort. The key is not to disrupt the c02 in the droid, avoiding oxygen.

I cold crash regularly by moving droid into storage mode (4 degrees) for 48 hours prior to bottling and kegging, at end of fermentation. If using BrewPrints, clarity is very good without cold crashing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mick said:

Hi guys

Cheers

Hi Mick,

- those ss steel bombs are fine, just make sure they are clean and sanitised as well as your hands.

- cold crash using the droid can be done in the “store” mode. When fermentation is complete and you have the “ready to keg” go ahead you can press the “store” button or wait 48hrs and it will do it automatically. The default temp in storage is 4C but you can change it.

- yes it will improve clarity as it will allow any yeast and/or ingredients to settle out of solution and form hard sediment at the bottom. I don’t think a lot of people do it as with storage in bottles/kegs it does a fairly good job with these ingredients/recipes. Cold crashing can be important with all grain brews.

9 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Just the ball style ones ~$5 at the brew store.

So am I correct to assume that if they only do 20 grams at a time then you'd need a few for the spreadsheet recipes?

So, I have two of these, the bigger one from the brew shop and the smaller one from the local kitchen place in town, both work fine, the smaller one takes 20gs easily and I have put 30gs in the larger one, tea spoon for reference

20200620_133711_001.jpg

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Thank you both, and thanks for the link and photo.

So where one of these spreadsheet recipes specifies more than 30g of hops then is the correct method just to add multiple balls to the droid?

You could or if you go down the page on the Kegland reference I did above they refer to hop tubes, good for up to 150g. At 300mm long one should fit. You could also use hop bags (reusable) they come in all different sizes. Might be best to pop into a brew shop if handy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

You could or if you go down the page on the Kegland reference I did above they refer to hop tubes, good for up to 150g. At 300mm long one should fit. You could also use hop bags (reusable) they come in all different sizes. Might be best to pop into a brew shop if handy.

OK, that seems a better idea. I had figured the tubes would be too large to fit but I'll measure the droid up properly when it arrives tomorrow.

I was at the local brew shop today picking up some sanitiser and they were out of stock of hop balls and that's what triggered all the questions.

BTW - you guys are great with your responses and it's really appreciated. The brew store guy was the grumpy type and after overhearing an interaction with the customer in front of me I decided to keep the questions to a minimum. 🍻

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dustin Frothman said:

OK, that seems a better idea. I had figured the tubes would be too large to fit but I'll measure the droid up properly when it arrives tomorrow.

I was at the local brew shop today picking up some sanitiser and they were out of stock of hop balls and that's what triggered all the questions.

BTW - you guys are great with your responses and it's really appreciated. The brew store guy was the grumpy type and after overhearing an interaction with the customer in front of me I decided to keep the questions to a minimum. 🍻

Ask away anytime, some and I say some brewhop staff don’t even homebrew and have limited knowledge or provide the wrong info. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Thank you both, and thanks for the link and photo.

So where one of these spreadsheet recipes specifies more than 30g of hops then is the correct method just to add multiple balls to the droid?

Hey mate , i have always used a hop sock . The balls look good and easier to clean . But the hop sock was great for when i put 80gr of hops in my PHunk IPA . First photo is with the 80gr of Galaxy, cascade and Challenger . First photo was when i got it out from my CPA brew 😁

20200501_142109.jpg

20200324_153052.jpg

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Hey mate , i have always used a hop sock . The balls look good and easier to clean . But the hop sock was great for when i put 80gr of hops in my PHunk IPA . First photo is with the 80gr of Galaxy, cascade and Challenger . First photo was when i got it out from my CPA brew 😁

20200501_142109.jpg

20200324_153052.jpg

Thanks mate.

How easy are these to clean and what's the method?

I have always just tipped them out as rinsed asap . There is a small bit of green staining . But i cant smell any of the hop flavor once done and sterilized. They are also a few bucks each so i will likely just change through them every few brews. I am also using the same hops so far so wouldnt have to worry about taint . 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paul84 said:

I have always just tipped them out as rinsed asap . There is a small bit of green staining . But i cant smell any of the hop flavor once done and sterilized. They are also a few bucks each so i will likely just change through them every few brews. I am also using the same hops so far so wouldnt have to worry about taint . 

A good rinse and turning the bag inside out helps. When next at a brew shop get yourself 1kg of pure sodium percarbonate (main ingredient in Nappy San). A teaspoon with hot water and a couple of hours of soaking will clean these bags up nicely.(rinse afterwards).  Can also use a non scented bleach like White King.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Will a hop sock full of pellets float around in the droid or does it need to be suspended somehow to ensure even infusion?

It will initially sink however when the pellets swell it will float to the top. Not a problem as it will then leach the hop flavour down through the brew. Surprisingly the ss hop bomb to 30g will also end up floating to the the top. (Not sure with the chain as don’t use it).