20L Beerdroid

Jared King

• 9 months later...
On 22/03/2020 at 4:01 PM, Rob Courtney said:

If there was a 20 litre droid, I'd still go 2 ;)

On 26/03/2020 at 7:42 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Same here

Hi, newbie here. I'm one of the many patiently waiting to come back to Aus from 8 years living OS & when planning out my return I thought I'd like to start brewing my own beer. When I was researching & came across the BeerDroid I fell in love, I want to get one. My only concern is the capacity ... is it really tied up for 2 weeks to make 10 litres (30 stubbies)? So when I saw this thread I'm curious to ask you two experienced owners, if you don't mind me asking, why you think 2 machines would be better than one 20 litre machine? Is it because of the ability to cycle different beer brews? Is it so there could potentially be a brew dropping each week? Or is there another reason I've missed? I ask because I'm considering getting 2 machines.

Also, is there any issue running the app via wifi connections on 2 machines at the same time? Does the app handle 2 BeerDroids? Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, Dave Lock said:

Hi, newbie here. I'm one of the many patiently waiting to come back to Aus from 8 years living OS & when planning out my return I thought I'd like to start brewing my own beer. When I was researching & came across the BeerDroid I fell in love, I want to get one. My only concern is the capacity ... is it really tied up for 2 weeks to make 10 litres (30 stubbies)? So when I saw this thread I'm curious to ask you two experienced owners, if you don't mind me asking, why you think 2 machines would be better than one 20 litre machine? Is it because of the ability to cycle different beer brews? Is it so there could potentially be a brew dropping each week? Or is there another reason I've missed? I ask because I'm considering getting 2 machines.

Also, is there any issue running the app via wifi connections on 2 machines at the same time? Does the app handle 2 BeerDroids? Thanks in advance!

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

1) it is rare a brew in the droid takes 2 weeks, most are 6 to 10 days.

2) with 10l batches experimentation is a lot easier and if not to your liking then less to drink😄

3) A 20l droid would be great for the recipes we do love but it isn’t a big issue

4) I run 3 droids so have the option of speedy variety and in keeping stocks well supplied. 2 droids would certainly be a good start.

5) the app certainly handles my 3 droids and will handle more. Each droid has its own set up and you can scroll between each unit.

Cheers, Mark

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

1) it is rare a brew in the droid takes 2 weeks, most are 6 to 10 days.

Good news. I was looking at Premium lager and Bombshell Blonde when I mentioned 2 weeks.

2) with 10l batches experimentation is a lot easier and if not to your liking then less to drink😄

3) A 20l droid would be great for the recipes we do love but it isn’t a big issue

4) I run 3 droids so have the option of speedy variety and in keeping stocks well supplied. 2 droids would certainly be a good start.

Thanks for the info.

5) the app certainly handles my 3 droids and will handle more. Each droid has its own set up and you can scroll between each unit.

Excellent, my only hesitation is not an issue at all then. I literally can't wait to be back to get into it. Much appreciated Mark.

Also, one other question without notice, is the spring loaded bottling tube available for purchase without buying the plastic bottles? I only saw it in the pack of plastic bottles, didn't see it as a separate item. Cheers.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Dave Lock said:

Good news. I was looking at Premium lager and Bombshell Blonde when I mentioned 2 weeks.

Thanks for the info.

Excellent, my only hesitation is not an issue at all then. I literally can't wait to be back to get into it. Much appreciated Mark.

Also, one other question without notice, is the spring loaded bottling tube available for purchase without buying the plastic bottles? I only saw it in the pack of plastic bottles, didn't see it as a separate item. Cheers.

It’s seems you can’t purchase the valve without the bottling kit. I thing some bottlers just use some tubing that fits the tap spout and use the droid tap to start and stop the flow. I also think some just pour directly into the bottle (on an angle) using the droid tap.
Someone here that bottles will advise I should think.

• Upvote 1

Hi Dave, pretty much what Mark said as to why with multiple droids.

As to bottling, the bottling tube is nice but not necessary, I just bottle straight from the tap, never had a problem. The premium lager is a nice drop, really hits its stride at 8 weeks secondary but can be drunk before. I have been mucking around with the hops profile of that one for a while and if you are using hops oil pouches you can swap the H5 for H3. As it is though, it is reminiscent of the old Hahn Premium. If you are looking for a lager that drinks early (2-3 weeks secondary) the Duetsch lager is a good bet

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks Mark and Rob, appreciate your info. Another option too I guess, I noticed on Amazon they have some bottle filler tubes there. for the price it's worth a speculator to see if it fits.
Amazon - 3/8" Bottle Filler with Spring

Hahn Premium is exactly what I had in mind with the premium lager. When I was using the suggester search on the brewart site the only 2 I could think of that returned a match were that & blonde. I've been out of country too long haha. Any new commercial beers that have hit the market there in Aus in the past 8 years I haven't tried. I used to like the matilda bay redback (with the label painted onto the bottle) back in the day (NOT the qld breweries one with the paper label, it was terrible) but putting that into the brewart suggester search didn't get a hit. Any idea which would be a similar profile? It was quite a wheaty tasting beer but not to the point where it was cloudy like some craft wheats are. Cheers.

Edited by Dave Lock
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dave Lock said:

Thanks Mark and Rob, appreciate your info. Another option too I guess, I noticed on Amazon they have some bottle filler tubes there. for the price it's worth a speculator to see if it fits.

Hahn Premium is exactly what I had in mind with the premium lager. When I was using the suggester search on the brewart site the only 2 I could think of that returned a match were that & blonde. I've been out of country too long haha. Any new commercial beers that have hit the market there in Aus in the past 8 years I haven't tried. I used to like the matilda bay redback (with the label painted onto the bottle) back in the day (NOT the qld breweries one with the paper label, it was terrible) but putting that into the brewart suggester search didn't get a hit. Any idea which would be a similar profile? It was quite a wheaty tasting beer but not to the point where it was cloudy like some craft wheats are. Cheers.

The Amazon version should hopefully fit however if it doesn’t you may be able to adapt the spring loaded end ( remove) and insert into suitable tubing (stiff or flexible) that does fit the droid tap spout.

• Upvote 1

Here I've been drinking a beer made locally by Heineken named tiger black. It's around 7% & has an interesting taste that I think changes with temp and according to how much you've had (it seems to change on your taste buds over the session). Not the most sophisticated drop but one you can throw down cold, I like it. It's description is "Amber lager with high ABV and more mysterious in terms of flavour – brewed with black rice". But I don't suppose it's available there - pity, I'd love to try to match that one up too.

tiger-black-500ml-bundle-of-4-cans_1024x

8 minutes ago, Dave Lock said:

Here I've been drinking a beer made locally by Heineken named tiger black. It's around 7% & has an interesting taste that I think changes with temp and according to how much you've had (it seems to change on your taste buds over the session). Not the most sophisticated drop but one you can throw down cold, I like it. It's description is "Amber lager with high ABV and more mysterious in terms of flavour – brewed with black rice". But I don't suppose it's available there - pity, I'd love to try to match that one up too.

tiger-black-500ml-bundle-of-4-cans_1024x

Doesn’t seem to be available here Dave, as you say. I’ve never brewed with rice so can’t help much.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dave Lock said:

Craft brewing has taken off and the successful ones tend to get bought out by the conglomerates and then the beer isn't quite as good but in saying that there are some really good craft lagers out there (Mornington lager) but they do come with a fairly steep tag of around $80 a carton. Outside of that though, a few of the old premium lagers just got discontinued like Hahn because of the wave of lo carb beers.

Closest you would get to redback is to muck around with the Weisbeer but in saying that if you ask @BrewArt Team for a recipe that would make a great clone of Redback, they'd come up with a good suggestion

• Upvote 1

I have thought of one other question, it's not a deal-breaker by any stretch but I just wanted to know ... does the BeerDroid still function without any internet. Or more specifically, without any connection to brewart info on the internet (server). I ask because when researching machines I noticed the dilemma the people who bought a PicoBrew in good faith are going to be in - it's gone into receivership & the current owner says he'll turn off the internet server which apparently the machines don't work without, making the machines expensive paperweights. So I was curious is the BeerDroid reliant on an internet server to function too?

Edited by Dave Lock

3 minutes ago, Dave Lock said:

I have thought of one other question, it's not a deal-breaker by any stretch but I just wanted to know ... does the BeerDroid still function without any internet. Or more specifically, without any connection to brewart info on the internet (server). I ask because when researching machines I noticed the dilemma the people who bought a PicoBrew in good faith are going to be in - it's gone into receivership & the current owner says he'll turn off the internet server which apparently the machines don't work without, making the machines expensive paperweights. So I was curious is the BeerDroid reliant on an internet server to function too?

Yes they function well without the internet/wifi connection. I think Rob went a year without it. You just need to keep an eye on the droid screen for “ready to keg”

Cheers

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Craft brewing has taken off and the successful ones tend to get bought out by the conglomerates and then the beer isn't quite as good but in saying that there are some really good craft lagers out there (Mornington lager) but they do come with a fairly steep tag of around $80 a carton. Outside of that though, a few of the old premium lagers just got discontinued like Hahn because of the wave of lo carb beers.

Closest you would get to redback is to muck around with the Weisbeer but in saying that if you ask @BrewArt Team for a recipe that would make a great clone of Redback, they'd come up with a good suggestion

G 'Day @Dave Lock and @Rob Courtney,

I remember when I tasted my first Redback and I was blown away by the flavour, it was an eye opener for someone who thought James Boags was fancy. Unfortunately it's definitely lost some of it's magic when it was scaled up. I've read that Matilda Bay has revamped their Redback as a "Lockdown Release" so hopefully they can bring it back to its former glory. 

But, if you want to make something close in the BeerDroid I'd recommend the following:
E5, E1, X2, X2, X2, Y5 H4. 

This should get you in the ball park, and we can adjust from there if need be. 

I'd recommend a good cold crash, as the style is a Kristalweizen.

Please let me know how it turns out. 

Cheers🍺

36 minutes ago, BrewArt Team said:

I remember when I tasted my first Redback and I was blown away by the flavour, it was an eye opener for someone who thought James Boags was fancy. Unfortunately it's definitely lost some of it's magic when it was scaled up. I've read that Matilda Bay has revamped their Redback as a "Lockdown Release" so hopefully they can bring it back to its former glory. 

I agree. One thing to note is the original guy behind Matilda Bay sold out in 1990 then it went downhill. He (and his son) are now back involved in the revamp so hopefully for them he was the missing factor and that now he's back it would be back on track. Because the original product and the downhill product were like chalk & cheese.

36 minutes ago, BrewArt Team said:

But, if you want to make something close in the BeerDroid I'd recommend the following:

Wow, thank you so much for that info. Cheers.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:

G 'Day @Dave Lock and @Rob Courtney,

Cheers🍺

Brilliant

18 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Yes they function well without the internet/wifi connection. I think Rob went a year without it. You just need to keep an eye on the droid screen for “ready to keg”

Cheers

Yeah, just couldn't be arsed to be honest. From about day 5 I used to check it when I got home to see if it got to RTK. I mean the internet connection with the App is a great feature but it is nowhere near as important as the bottle opener...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 13/01/2021 at 9:33 AM, BrewArt Team said:

Now there's a beer I'd forgotten about.

I lived in North Melbourne during my 20's and the Redback Brewery on Flemington road was a really fancy place for a "craft" beer.

• Upvote 2