Polski Baltic Porter

Banjo

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I put this one on today as I have a bit of keg space free and don't mind letting it sit in one to mature for a while.

Last time I brewed this both PET kegs exploded and spoiled it, so I'm looking forward to kegging in stainless steel and enjoying it once ready.

How long would you let it sit for?

On 12/09/2022 at 9:50 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

I put this one on today as I have a bit of keg space free and don't mind letting it sit in one to mature for a while.

Last time I brewed this both PET kegs exploded and spoiled it, so I'm looking forward to kegging in stainless steel and enjoying it once ready.

Mine has been in steel since mid July and I can see where the relief valve has leaked over time. That valve doesn't kick in until the pressure hits 35psi so I'm not surprised the liner ruptured.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Wolf said:

Mine has been in steel since mid July and I can see where the relief valve has leaked over time. That valve doesn't kick in until the pressure hits 35psi so I'm not surprised the liner ruptured.

That's really interesting.

Are you carbonating with sugar or primer?

I'll be using gas, so whilst the keg is maturing the beer will be uncarbonated and shouldn't be producing any CO2.

21 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

That's really interesting.

Are you carbonating with sugar or primer?

I'll be using gas, so whilst the keg is maturing the beer will be uncarbonated and shouldn't be producing any CO2.

Two primer bars for a 10 L keg which was admittedly very full. I figure if something has to sit in a cupboard for a while to condition it may as well make itself useful (and more alcoholic).

Don't usually bother with the lagers as I like them less alcoholic for quaffing, and I have gas anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That is the quickest I have finished a keg, delicious. I scrounged around and found enough today for another brew. Hopefully free shipping comes around soon and I can do another after that to build a stockpile - it will be a perfect winter beer to sip (or quaff) after a day at the snow.

Edited by Wolf

• 2 weeks later...

The last one was filled to just under 10L and overflowed significantly all around by day 4. I had an extra 500ml bottle left over after filling the 10L keg.

This time I filled to about 9.5L, taped around the lid leaving just the front port exposed where I taped a sandwich bag.

Day 4 and no overflow so far. The directions don't explicitly state to leave extra headroom but it seems to have helped with the overflow issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/01/2023 at 8:55 AM, Wolf said:

Third consecutive batch of this beer is nearly done. Once again filled to 9.5L and there was no overflow, can recommend giving a tiny bit of headroom on this beer to avoid messy cleanups.

Just put this into the droid today. How does it compare with the Ruby and  Shadow Hill porters? Love both those.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/09/2022 at 7:28 PM, J P said:

Polski is Definately in my top 10 and while you CAN enjoy it at a month. 3 months is sublime.   It’s hints of licorice are oh so divine.  

First time brewed and bottled back in Feb. Bottled so I could try at various time points 

Did try a bottle at one month, and it was very good (and nearly fell asleep on the couch).

3 months in and even better. Perhaps just a bit smoother and slightly less of an alcoholic taste to it (???). Tastes bloody delicious. Just have to get through the rest fairly sharply to clear some bottles!

• Upvote 2